Y'know, Four Kings and Gwyn are overhyped.

#1Xade76Posted 1/20/2013 10:19:04 AM
THEN AGAIN, I haven't fought them on NG yet (although I should be soon, at the rate I'm plowing through NG).

I died to FK ONCE, and that was because my idiot ass replaced the abysswalking ring with Havel's, thinking it was a good idea to have quick roll for the fight. On my second attempt though, I said "f*** it" to getting hurt halfway through the fight and then promptly annihilated one after the other with two-handed swings with my Lightning Great Scythe +5.

Gwyn, admittedly, killed me a couple times, but I tried parrying too much. FYI, I'm terrible at parrying. So the fight ended up taking a while as I strafed around avioiding all damage - studying him. I realized his 4-swing move, his grab, and his kick each left him open for just barely long enough for me to hold my scythe with both hands and fit in a quick RT/R2 attack. He didn't have much HP, so he went bye-bye in 3 minutes.

I know people are gonna come in and say I'm trying to brag, but I assure you - I suck at parrying right now, so I had to fight Gwyn the way I did. However, if the fight was that simple to begin with, I can only imagine how quick it is for people who are good at parrying.

I dunno, I guess I just expected more. Not to mention, the ending is garbage. I don't know what the good ending's like, so I'll try and get it in NG. But yeah, Dark Souls is punishing at times, but why punish players who beat the game with an ending where you randomly and spontaneously combust? That's f***ing lazy.
---
If you can see this sig, that means I'm not being sarcastic/trolling.
I'll remove it when I am, but you'll probably forget about that! xD
#2DignatoReRaisedPosted 1/20/2013 10:20:35 AM
It's not spontaneous. In order to light the flame you have to set your own humanity and soul on fire.
---
PSN: DignatoRR || Pawn: Skarid - Ranger - Level 30 and rising
#3Orichalcum17Posted 1/20/2013 10:23:41 AM
i'd say you only really 'lose' against a boss once youre actively able to get it down to at least half health every time after studying its moves and the fight as a whole. then again, fighting the things on successive NG+'s is always a bag of tricks because for some reason it seems like the fights change significantly (i'm on NG+4). FK are a pushover with beatrice and if you save solaire, gwyn isnt too bad on any playthrough as long as you have a game plan.

boss i struggle with the most after NG+? capra demon. thing deals so much damage and those two zombie dogs are in there too.
---
Only in the ancient legends...
GT - njward17
#4Xade76(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:23:58 AM
DignatoReRaised posted...
It's not spontaneous. In order to light the flame you have to set your own humanity and soul on fire.

Wait, what? Wasn't I supposed to replace Gwyn as Lordran's ruler?
---
If you can see this sig, that means I'm not being sarcastic/trolling.
I'll remove it when I am, but you'll probably forget about that! xD
#5andy12handyPosted 1/20/2013 10:27:17 AM
If you think it was an ending out of nowhere, you didn't pay attention to the story enough.
---
Gamefaqs: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
#6IstilldunoPosted 1/20/2013 10:29:52 AM
Yes, you just did replace Lord Gwyn, what did you think he was doing there?
---
All the rules you need to play a videogame are coded into it, adding extras proves you lack the ability to play well by those existing rules.
#7Xade76(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:32:51 AM
andy12handy posted...
If you think it was an ending out of nowhere, you didn't pay attention to the story enough.

I read every item description. I exhausted every NPC's dialogue. What else is there? And yes, I paid attention. All I know about endgame, story-wise, is that I had to link the final bonfire with all the bonfires and become the lord over all of Lordran. If I'm somehow missing something, please tell me what it is - and I ask that in an honest tone.
---
If you can see this sig, that means I'm not trolling.
I'll remove it when I am, but you'll probably forget about that!
#8Xade76(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:34:27 AM
Istillduno posted...
Yes, you just did replace Lord Gwyn, what did you think he was doing there?

I figured he lost his brains after going Hollow and just became the protector of the bonfire.
---
If you can see this sig, that means I'm not trolling.
I'll remove it when I am, but you'll probably forget about that!
#9TILlegion777Posted 1/20/2013 10:34:42 AM
Xade76 posted...
DignatoReRaised posted...

Wait, what? Wasn't I supposed to replace Gwyn as Lordran's ruler?

The story is not fed to you via cutscene, you need to talk to people. The gods of Lordran left long, long ago, when Gwyn went to Link the First Flame. He did so by sacrificing himself to the flame as fuel. When you encounter him, he is nothing but a husk of what he once was, he was consumed by the flames. When you go there, you are doing the same. After everything you've done you have enough power within you to feed the flames for a time. You sacrifice yourself to keep light in the world. Of course, the argument is that the flames should die, but that's not relevant to the question at hand.
---
Yeah, I'm that idiot with the stupid signature. Fat-roll Kirk is the only true build.
Official Longsword of the Dark Souls boards
#10IstilldunoPosted 1/20/2013 10:36:29 AM
Think for a second, you've just fought the last guy who linked all the fires in Lordran, he's been there all game and apparently ever since he linked it.

You are succeding him, no-one promised you a throne/castle whatever, just taking over his position.
---
All the rules you need to play a videogame are coded into it, adding extras proves you lack the ability to play well by those existing rules.