Why is invasion contingent on the area boss?

#61ThrowmastaPosted 1/28/2013 1:02:26 AM
Oh ok. There must not be that many players playing anymore then. Because I hardly ever see that many soul signs lying around. Can you see players names somehow? I suppose that's what the pvp soapstone is for then. Is the DLC multiplayer stuff useful?

arc, are you playing in human form often? If so, you should still see summon signs frequently. You are probably already aware, but if not, you can only summon other players and see their signs when you are in human form, and never when you are hollow. I always play in human form, especially in NG+ and beyond; and I see summon signs quite frequently throughout my travels. They are most commonly found around bonfires and near boss fog, but not limited to those areas.

As for the dlc, I heard the matchmaking has been improved. I'm taking that as they updated the servers, so that you can find someone's summon sign easier now. I'm sure there are still restrictions that apply in terms of the different covenants though.
#62arcnet(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 6:28:04 AM
Throwmasta posted...
Oh ok. There must not be that many players playing anymore then. Because I hardly ever see that many soul signs lying around. Can you see players names somehow? I suppose that's what the pvp soapstone is for then. Is the DLC multiplayer stuff useful?

arc, are you playing in human form often? If so, you should still see summon signs frequently. You are probably already aware, but if not, you can only summon other players and see their signs when you are in human form, and never when you are hollow. I always play in human form, especially in NG+ and beyond; and I see summon signs quite frequently throughout my travels. They are most commonly found around bonfires and near boss fog, but not limited to those areas.

As for the dlc, I heard the matchmaking has been improved. I'm taking that as they updated the servers, so that you can find someone's summon sign easier now. I'm sure there are still restrictions that apply in terms of the different covenants though.

I don't see them so often. But whenever I enter an area I am usually finished with it before the player messages ever get loaded up, so it may be something about my connection. The other likelihood is there are just not that many people who are in my level range. I think I'm at or around 90.

For a while I was roleplaying a darkwraith and enjoyed looking like a ghoul. But today I noticed the dingy robe is really not that dingy and makes for a great outfit to complement the Moonlight sword. I wish I could easily take a screenshot.

Anyway now I'm rocking a golden age video game hero look befitting of the Moonlight sword (black sorcerer cap, dingy robe, wanderer arms/legs) so I am staying in human form.
---
About Me: I'm pushing 30. I could be your dad.
Quote: It's a fecal matter. Stay out of it.
#63arcnet(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 6:48:35 AM(edited)
Cvdf3 posted...
"So many misconceptions about the game."

arcnet posted...
""If you have any misconceptions after 80hrs of play that's either on the game or maybe you just have your own conceptions of the game. Ever thought about that?""

Cvdf3 posted...
"""No, you keep thinking basic mechanics work or should work in a way that is completely different from how they actually do."""

The thrust of this thread is What if? Otherwise however I think something works is how it works as far as I am concerned. Think about it.

Reading through this topic; stats for example. Plus a misconception would be an incorrect predetermined thought that affects your mindset before hand. So if you went into it thinking wrong, a few hours doesn't mean much.

Preconception is a word. I don't think any misconceptions have been sussed out of this thread so far. Maybe some very fine points were if anything. Feel free to bring anything back up.

As for why multiplayer is dependent on the boss:
Invasions are supposed to be a bad thing. If a player is having trouble they may become human and summon other players. However this means they are also open to invasions (to balance out the extra help). If you do not want to get invaded, you want to make progress.Also hosts need an escape plan (balanced as they can either face a player or boss; makes them think). And it allows invaders to know about what soul level will get them the most traffic. Not a design flaw.

It's a game. If any part of it was a "bad" thing people wouldn't play it. We like to be challenged, and invaders are really just From' getting people to entertain you for free.

Actually I was thinking about this the other day. If there was going to be an escape system, the escape point would be the bonfire you just came from; edited: I mean any would work, but you are guaranteed a clear path to the one you came from unless you are running past all the monsters in a mad dash. I think I am better qualified (by my own criteria) to design games than anyone working in the video game industry. How this should work is you should be able to sit at the bonfire even if you are getting hit. It shouldn't go out. And you should be able to safely sit at it. I ****ing hate when I am sitting at the bonfire and I get invaded.

Then you'd have an interesting race to the bonfire. And there would be none of this, the phantom can chase you across the entire game business. And phantoms would knowingly invade at the furthest point from the fires. And the fires then represent a true safe zone. And phantoms would need to stay under 25% weight if they are going to have any chance catching a runner. From' really bungled this. Let's hope DS2 is better.

If you want to know what is however, look at the arena (it takes forever...). Which was created because fans clamored for; it since FROM never expected multiplayer to be very popular in the first place. They always looked at it as a tacked on addition that enhances the singleplayer.

I guarantee you the multiplayer isn't popular if by popular you mean many people are spending a lot of time doing it. I assume by arena you mean part of the DLC. I've made it to the creepy shop person that gets to be taller than everyone else. What takes forever BTW?
---
About Me: I'm pushing 30. I could be your dad.
Quote: It's a fecal matter. Stay out of it.