I'm not really sure what everyone likes about this game so much...

#1ZipperbarsPosted 1/27/2013 3:11:07 PM
When I played it myself, I didn't really see anything that special about this game. In fact, I thought it was really overrated. Mainly because of...

A) The combat was pretty clunky. While not THAT clunky, I still didn't like it very much. I hated how my Zveihander or however you spell it swinged so slowly, and how it took an hour for my character to roll. (This got me killed multiple times btw, all because of clunky rolls)

B) The game mechanics made no sense until I was 30 hours into the game. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. What's a vagrant? What do those alphabets on the weapon descriptions mean? Why can I wield some weapons and not others?

C) The multiplayer was AWFUL. Seriously, I've never seen such bad multiplayer in my whole life. In my first 5 invasions, I got backstabbed a mile away by people at least a hundred levels above me. It was just... terrible. Also, whenever I was summoned, the whole affair was quite laggy. Monsters teleported around and the damage was quite delayed. And when I was trying to summon people, it just gave me a message saying "Summoning Failed" every damn time.

D) No story at all. I don't think I need to go on. Sure, you don't have to give me Bioshock levels of story, but can't I at least know what's going on?

There are a few things I liked about the game though. For example, unlike many people, I thought the game was pretty fair in its difficulty, aside from those extremely cheap ledges. I also liked the variety of weapons and armor. It was quite surprising to me to have such a large selection of things I could equip on my character after coming from Skyrim and other RPGs. (Which have very lackluster variety)

Overall, I didn't think the game was bad, but there are many crippling flaws and it's honestly quite overhyped/overrated. So, what I'd like to know is what you guys find so special about this game that makes you praise it so much.
---
If you are reading this, I posted my message from GameFOX.
#2AIreadylnUsePosted 1/27/2013 3:15:48 PM
Amazing exploration for the first playthrough, pure idiocy for all the hours I've put in since.

You might wanna take off all the steel if you're having trouble rolling. And yeah weapons longer than you are tall are clunky to swing, I don't think that's a problem.
#3knightjr96Posted 1/27/2013 3:16:41 PM
The fact that you had "clunky rolls" means that you were over 50% equip burden. If you want a faster roll, keep your equip burden <50%. If you want the fastest roll, you must go <25%.
---
PSN: knightjr96
#4VidmorPosted 1/27/2013 3:18:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5ZezrsPosted 1/27/2013 3:19:28 PM
Fus Ro Dah!
#6bed_of_razorsPosted 1/27/2013 3:19:54 PM
Zipperbars posted...
I don't understand the mechanics of this game, I like to be spoon-fed the story and I REALLY don't like a challenge.

Fixed. I suggest you play something else.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/bed_of_razors/Filler.jpg www.last.fm/user/bumchef
#7R1masherPosted 1/27/2013 3:25:58 PM
The beauty is you don't have to see why others see anything...

your troll is last "weak"
---
R1R1R1R1R1R1
#8kraze42Posted 1/27/2013 3:27:21 PM
You clearly haven't played the game enough yet. All of the points you mentioned can be countered pretty easily. I suggest you play around with the armour and weapons a bit more because trust me a zweihander isn't exactly lightweight, it is infact one of the biggest weapons in the game...
---
PSN: kraze42
#9Cvdf3Posted 1/27/2013 3:32:05 PM
Need alt
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#10nyquist75Posted 1/27/2013 3:33:01 PM
I would call the pace of the game "deliberate", and it is a welcome change of pace from everything else on the market that aims to please hyper-active 12 year old gamers. Timing and strategy are important, not "twitch" reflex, (which old bastards like myself can appreciate!). I haven't played multiplayer, so you could be right about that. As for story, what do you want more cut-scenes? You want someone to tell you a story? Read a book! Gaming is about telling your own story. Use your imagination please!