Since elemental weapons got nerfed....what weapon should I make?

#1GreenKnight127Posted 1/30/2013 9:29:06 AM
I am not very familiar with the latest patch, and haven't even touched the DLC yet.......and I am at a total loss of how to approach this game now.

I'm currently playing as a new character, very sorcery-focused. Only soul level 55 at the moment.

I haven't altered a single weapon yet.
I'm almost afraid to (because I know how rare certain materials are for forging).

With my first character, waaaay back when the game first came out, I had a fire claymore +10 (or was it +15? I forget what the max was)......and that puppy served me well for pretty much the entire game, and new game++. I really didn't need anything else. It was awesome.

Now I'm hearing that elemental weapons suck. So I have no clue what I should make.

Since I'm a mage, I don't use weapons too much. But it's very important to have a decent one anyway.

Should I just make a raw weapon? A lightning weapon? A divine weapon?

I'm afraid of making another fire claymore, and then finding out it was a big mistake and a waste of materials and souls.
---
Cheetah Yee-HT Skip-OT no tso-p tsum ooh sen-o eht era s11ort Tenner-ettni laer eht.
#2TILlegion777Posted 1/30/2013 9:31:07 AM
Moonlight Greatsword and Moonlight Butterfly Horn would be good, if you've got a high Int. Otherwise, I guess just make whatever you like and then either go +15 with Crystal Magic Weapon, or turn it Magic/Enchanted. That's what I'd do anyway, I don't really do non-physical builds though, so my advice is less than perfect probably.
---
Yeah, I'm that idiot with the stupid signature. Fat-roll Kirk is the only true build.
Official Longsword of the Dark Souls boards
#3GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 9:42:37 AM
Yeah, everyone keeps raving about moonlight greatsword and the butterfly horn.

Can't you use the moonlight greatsword to cast magic??? As thought it's a catalyst in your hands?

I know you can shoot beams with it, and the damage reflects your intelligence.
---
Cheetah Yee-HT Skip-OT no tso-p tsum ooh sen-o eht era s11ort Tenner-ettni laer eht.
#4mgillgannonPosted 1/30/2013 2:35:33 PM
<< ... a waste of materials and souls.>>

Souls are there to be wasted and shards can be farmed. I do think they should have left elemental weapons alone, however. A good weapons test is the silver knights in Anor Londo. The damage they take is almost a mirror image of Ornstein. To sum up: fire = pathetic, lightning = pathetic, divine = pathetic, magic = pathetic. Regular upgrade path is superior by far.
---
When people say "The fact is..." they mean "My opinion is..."
#5farcolfeyPosted 1/30/2013 2:38:15 PM
I wouldn't feel bad about using Shards or Large Shards at all. They can be easily purchased. The Chunks you would have to farm, and really think about using Slabs, but don't worry about going up to +10
---
This sentence has exactly threee errorrs.
#6liampancakesPosted 1/30/2013 4:05:10 PM
fire claymore damage was nerfed by about 50, if you got through the game with it once you should be fine.