Elemental Defense Rings should've been better IMO

#1dthomas125Posted 1/30/2013 4:39:10 PM
If you are going to have to sacrifice a ring slot they should've made them better than +50.

Maybe +125 or a % of your current Elemental Defense.

Just a thought when I was thinking about trying to incorporate them into gameplay.
---
PSN - dthomas125 - "Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75." Benjamin Franklin
#2zyrax2301Posted 1/30/2013 4:43:50 PM
They keep you alive if you suffer death without them. Good enough.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3acangialPosted 1/30/2013 4:48:02 PM
I find them generally usless. They are especially usless when you have ROFP welded to one slot.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man
#4AIreadylnUsePosted 1/30/2013 4:49:26 PM
I can get more defense off a pound of head gear. I would have liked to see them worth using too, but most rings aren't worth using so the element rings aren't anything special. Right now it seems to be FaP and DWGR/Wolf's with a rare bellowing, havel's or hornet's thrown in. I don't think that changes much in PvE either.
#5dthomas125(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:54:50 PM
I just like the idea of more "useable" equipment. More useable equipment (especially rings) will give more variety to builds IMO.

For example if you made Spell Stoneplate Ring worth something, you could possibly have people incorporating into an anti-magic build. Thus removing possibly Havels or RoFaP, thus changing up their armor/equipment and creating a more unique build possibly.

I know it's a stretch, but I think it's not out of the realm of possiblity.
---
PSN - dthomas125 - "Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75." Benjamin Franklin
#6AIreadylnUsePosted 1/30/2013 5:00:31 PM
I would prefer everyone to have more health relative to damage you can do in PvP and then to just take FaP out of the game. Right now it's almost a build requirement and effectively all it does for the PvP is put everyone down a ring slot. With the poise system that goes to either Wolf's, Havel's or DWGR. Sometimes one of those gets replaced with Hornet's or Bellowing in a glass cannon build.

Altogether pretty limited, partly because RFP is just too good to pass up on. I'd prefer 3 slots with somewhat weaker effects and no perfect ring... especially not one you're stuck wearing.
#7VidmorPosted 1/30/2013 5:02:09 PM
Agree. Defense in general has always been a bit of a flaccid stat. It's good to have some, but after a certain point it's not really worth making sacrifices to stack it, especially with the humanity bonuses present. If it's going to stay on the same scale, those rings should really provide a substantial defense boost, especially with stacking poise being more preferable.

If the current system of poise is kept, it may work better to tie poise values to defense directly, so that poise is derived directly the defense stat, though then defense stacking rings would be a little overpowered. Something for From to work out I suppose.
#8Oh_HelloPosted 1/30/2013 5:24:21 PM
I use the Physical Def. ring a LOT, for some builds I always have this ring cause I've been playing with 0 poise. I haven't get stun-locked, so I prefer taking less damage when I get it.

the blue, red and yellow rings, I put them on depending what the opponent is using, but not full time.
hornet's, I only use it briefly on nasty players who need a lesson.
#9Oh_HelloPosted 1/30/2013 5:33:46 PM
Vidmor posted...
Agree. Defense in general has always been a bit of a flaccid stat. It's good to have some, but after a certain point it's not really worth making sacrifices to stack it, especially with the humanity bonuses present. If it's going to stay on the same scale, those rings should really provide a substantial defense boost, especially with stacking poise being more preferable.

If the current system of poise is kept, it may work better to tie poise values to defense directly, so that poise is derived directly the defense stat, though then defense stacking rings would be a little overpowered. Something for From to work out I suppose.

I believe defense does what it's supposed to do, but it won't save you if you keep getting hit.
if you buffed defense, you're increasing the odds for gankers and very high level players, even more.
#10liampancakesPosted 1/30/2013 5:36:01 PM
you can carry more extra defense with havels than what all the stoneplates would give you combined. if they increased your elemental defense by 40% they might be viable to switch off to.