Do I just suck at this game?

#1MagiKorPosted 2/2/2013 12:34:34 AM
I don't THINK so... I've gotten through most of it by myself (did summon in some help for Ornstein & Smough though...), but I'm totally stuck on Manus right now.

I've been using Quelaag's Furysword for most of the game, and it's been fine, but it's only +4, and is doing like 47-60 damage per hit on Manus. Sif is little help aside from OCCASIONALLY distracting him long enough for me to heal.

I've got elite knight set +2 with a Silver Knight Shield +5 and the silver pendant.

I can work him down to about half health, but his magic attacks always wind up in me dying. I can never seem to get the timing down.

Any tips? I've considered two handing a Black Knight Halberd, but I don't trust myself without a shield.
---
Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
#2dantedeschain13Posted 2/2/2013 12:38:04 AM
What SL? And you probably should ditch that Furysword, especially for a fight as tough as Manus. Probably the hardest boss of the game, so don't feel too bad about it.
#3MagiKor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 12:39:54 AM
Oh right. SL 73 I think? I'm sitting at about 31 VIT and all other points going into STR, DEX and END. Those are all around 25 - 27. I didn't distribute very well I suppose.
---
#4SSJPabsPosted 2/2/2013 12:44:54 AM(edited)
DLC bosses don't really have glaring elemental/magic weaknesses, that's why the Furysword is not doing the trick. Physical usually is your best bet. Also your armor seems quite weak. One thing you can do is use green blossoms or cloranthy ring to regain your stamina more quickly in regards to blocking. That was a big part of my strategy the first time through the bosses.

If you simply can't get the timing down for using the pendant to counter the Abyss magic, try using the DWGR to dodge the spells. You can also move out of range for the spells though depending on the spell you need to dodge left/right, run away from Manus or run toward Manus.

ED: With your stats... maybe try a normal Claymore? Raise END as well.
ED2: I've beat him with 2-handing the BK Halberd, but the problem would still probably be not getting fried by the magic.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.
#5MagiKor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 1:28:41 AM(edited)
Just upgraded my Claymore to a +10. We'll see how this goes....

EDIT: Welp, Claymore and the phantom I summoned in did the trick. Thanks guys! And I forgot the name of the summoned who helped me, but thanks to you as well.
---
#6tekkendudePosted 2/2/2013 5:06:41 AM
Yes.
---
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful ,and so are we.They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people,and neither do we. Bush
#7ISayNyaPosted 2/2/2013 6:05:13 AM
Furysword just plain sucks, ditch it.