Feels like I've done this before...in Demon's Souls

#11jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 4:21:06 AM(edited)
The first optional levels and enemies (Blighttown, Undead Parish, Hellkite Dragon, any undead grunt) are recycled assets. It is only when I made it further and I saw the library level and crystal golems did I get to see some interesting stuff.

Phalanx is still here in the painted world. But at least I can concede that's an optional encounter that can be considered a cameo. While Anor Londor is well designed and a beautiful set piece not found in Demon's, I can't help but get an Assassin's Creed vibe off it. Sif - a wolf carrying a sword in its mouth - felt inspired by Okami. Nito, a giant necro-ball full of skeletons? Symphony of the Night's Granfaloon's boss comes to mind almost immediately.

I don't have anything against using the usual high fantasy monsters in games. Dragons, zombies, hydra, skeletons, etc. There's nothing wrong with homages paid here and there. It just feels like I've been here, done that.

Some players think it is more polished. I agree that Drk tries to improve on the battle system, but I can't seem to find the set pieces of Drk to be inherently more attractive - and most certainly not more original - than Demon's.
#12FoaloalPosted 2/8/2013 4:35:51 AM
First of all OP, I don't think you've played any other games this generation since every single series these days borrows from the previous entries more and more. Have you seen Assassin's creed? It's literally the same game 5 times with marginal improvements.
Also you said Dark Souls looks bad, I'd say you have a pretty skewed perception of graphics quality. As a PC gamer who plays everything at max settings I wouldn't say Dark Souls looks dated at all, why don't you look up some highres screenshots of Dark Souls on PC?

Secondly Dark Souls and Demon's Souls do play similarly, but if you're feeling like Dark Souls is stale then I don't really think you even enjoy this type of game or else you'd probably be glad it's similar.
Dark Souls features all original textures and models, since sony has rights on Demon's Souls, so while some environments and enemies may be similar the work was new. You haven't even been through most of the game anyways so you're definitely prejudging it.

Finish playing Dark Souls and I don't think you'll be complaining any more.
#13jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 5:25:40 AM(edited)
edit: Never mind. Not going to bother engaging alternate accounts.
#14Orange00Posted 2/8/2013 6:58:44 AM
Well i feel like Souls-games need to be largely about dark dungeons, gloomy ruins and empty castles. So i was just happy to get more of the same.

play still a little further and you'll see places like anor londo, painted world and dukes archives. Those have pretty distinct own feel to them and separete dark souls more from demons's.
---
Time Splitters HD Collection!!?? Gears are already in motion, sign the petition!!
#15d3dsightPosted 2/8/2013 7:05:37 AM
Valid points.Being similar is good in some ways, but some things are kinda lame, like having another poisonous swamp. Some animations/sounds are definitely reused (Blighttown firebreathing bugs make the same deathcry as the man centipedes from Latria).
#16jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 7:09:55 AM(edited)
^ I've gotten my Great Moonlight Sword, so yeah I've seen 90% of theoriginal game - haven't done DLC yet. I've made it to Kiln now on my first character. I don't think it is ugly, but I do think that other games this generation have higher polygon/textures count. I'll put it at the same level of graphics as GTA IV - an early game from this generation. And I'm playing on my Samsung 46" TV from the PS3 set at 1080p, though I believe it only renders in 720p? <-- could be wrong.

The ones that I think easily outshines Drk in terms of eye candy alone? Ninja Gaiden 2, Gears of War, Bioshock. In fact I think even the Splinter Cell series on PC from the previous generation looks better.

The thing is, I have no idea what NamcoBandai has in store for Drk 2. But I would definitely welcome a change from using the outdated ragdoll physics Havok engine. Upgrade to Unreal 3 or something to keep up with the times.
#17StockpileThomasPosted 2/8/2013 11:15:04 AM
They rehashed loads in this game, i'm not against devs reusing stuff, it's pretty much expected, but they reused a lot from DeS.

Animations are fair enough (to add to initial post they actually added a few new animations for ripostes via the Hornet ring which was cool, also a tonne of new moveset animations) but what did my head in was the reused sounds, so many of the exact same sounds as DeS, not changed in any way at all, just taken from one monster in DeS and tacked straight on to another in Drks.

I also agree on Blighttown just felt like a second poor attempt at the Valley to me and bosses like Vanguard repeated 3 times wasn't great. Another bit that i actually had a moan about in another topic that pissed me off was the transition from Sen's to Anor, that whole cutscene, animation and sounds are identical to the cutscene in DeS after beating for the transition from 3-1 to 3-2.

That being said they added enough unique and original content to more that make up for it imo.
#18McJephPosted 2/8/2013 11:18:40 AM
Stray Demon = Adjucator...

What? lol
#19DarkPhalanxPosted 2/8/2013 3:25:16 PM(edited)
HA! i got a ps2 new in box and snatched it up, went to local gamstop and bought a bunch of stuff,, ANYWAY...KINGS FIELD The Ancient City IS demon and darksouls to the T. Its even made by Fromsoftware. I only played demon souls and was looking at this board cause one day im gonna get dark. ANYWAY while playing kings feild you can tell it is just demon souls on slow-speep :( BUT great game ,its game in on now and about 1/3 done maybe(lvl11) and died like 50 times? Doesnt hold youre hand and you dont know where to go just like demon/dark.
Thers even same stuff like moonlight sword,forest folk,herbs,knights armor/sheild/and magic is similar.
---
PSN Grimseed
#20Hitoshura_Posted 2/8/2013 4:20:01 PM
jackstar_rock posted...
^ I've gotten my Great Moonlight Sword, so yeah I've seen 90% of theoriginal game - haven't done DLC yet. I've made it to Kiln now on my first character. I don't think it is ugly, but I do think that other games this generation have higher polygon/textures count. I'll put it at the same level of graphics as GTA IV - an early game from this generation. And I'm playing on my Samsung 46" TV from the PS3 set at 1080p, though I believe it only renders in 720p? <-- could be wrong.

The ones that I think easily outshines Drk in terms of eye candy alone? Ninja Gaiden 2, Gears of War, Bioshock. In fact I think even the Splinter Cell series on PC from the previous generation looks better.

The thing is, I have no idea what NamcoBandai has in store for Drk 2. But I would definitely welcome a change from using the outdated ragdoll physics Havok engine. Upgrade to Unreal 3 or something to keep up with the times.

It seems to me like you didn't Gorgeous View.
Also Dark and Demon's were and are made by From Software, not Bamco.
---
*is officially Hitoshura*