First INT build, advise...

#1GixenPosted 2/3/2013 5:55:54 AM
So, Iīm starting a INT build for the first time, mainly for the Moonlight Greatsword. Iīm totally new to magic in DkS, I donīt think Iīve even shot a single spell....

So advise please.
What weapons should I use pre Lordvessel?
Pumping it all in INT for now?

Just want to get it right from the start so I donīt have to start over figuring out I did it wrong in the beginning.....
Any advise/tips are welcome :)
#2KeepItClassyPosted 2/3/2013 5:57:44 AM
I started my first INT build yesterday and from what I can tell, you can't go wrong with DEX, INT, VIT, or END at least until all are 30.
#3NeowwwPosted 2/3/2013 6:19:23 AM
Drake sword obviously is great for early game, but if you want to use something else for until you can get the MLS you could use an enchanted claymore. It's got B int scaling and has the same stat requirements and weight of the MLS. Pumping it all on int isnt a bad idea, just make sure you have 18 strg and 10 dex to wield the MLS. Having some end so you can wear some armor and still be mobile is good too, obviously.
#4Gixen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:22:58 AM
DEX?

Iīll keep pumping souls in END/INT for starters, figure itīll take some time before I have to make a choice, hoping that the thread is filled with advice by then ;)

Is there any good weapons with INT/STR or INT/DEX scaling?
#5NeowwwPosted 2/3/2013 6:28:24 AM
Int builds like to get dex because it's supposed to increase your casting speed, but not much from what I can tell. As for a str/int weapon, the enchanted claymore like I said is good. You can get the enchanted ember in the darkroot garden.
#6Gixen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:52:52 AM
Alrighty, didnīt se your input there Neoww. Enchanted Claymore sounds like fun.
One please!

I guess itīs not much of a difference compared to other builds, only thing is Iīve always done STR/DEX before, so it hasnīt been that hard deciding what weapon to use and what stat to pump souls into...
#7haarlem1982Posted 2/3/2013 7:08:27 AM
Neowww posted...
Drake sword obviously is great for early game, but if you want to use something else for until you can get the MLS you could use an enchanted claymore. It's got B int scaling and has the same stat requirements and weight of the MLS. Pumping it all on int isnt a bad idea, just make sure you have 18 strg and 10 dex to wield the MLS. Having some end so you can wear some armor and still be mobile is good too, obviously.

MLGS requires 16 str.
---
You need people like me so you can point your f***ing fingers, and say: that's the bad guy.
psn demonchild82, MILFeaterManfred
#8Kyuubi4269Posted 2/3/2013 7:16:43 AM
Magic Claymore has higher base stats before scaling and 2 AR more after.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders
#9KrystohPosted 2/3/2013 7:27:42 AM
Kyuubi4269 posted...
Magic Claymore has higher base stats before scaling and 2 AR more after.

Magic/enchanted halberd works well.
#10no_stepPosted 2/3/2013 8:06:44 AM
The problem with pumping DEX, INT, END, and VIT all at once is that you can end up spreading yourself too thin. If you're trying to keep below a certain SL, something's going to have to give, and if you go for all four stats it means limiting your INT in the long run. I ended up keeping DEX low and boosting the other 3.

It used to be that the main cutoffs for INT were either 44 (for Crystal Soul Spear) or 50 (for White Dragon Breath). I personally don't think White Dragon Breath is worth it, and I think I would have stopped at 44 if I did it all over again.

Having enough STR/DEX for the Moonlight Greatsword is important, which means STR 16 and DEX 10, unless you only plan to wield it two-handed. And as Neowww pointed out, the Claymore has the same stat requirements there. (For less experienced players, it also lets you wield the Drake Sword, which is awful handy early-game.)

You'll also want some other weapon to fall back on for areas where there's a lot of stuff resistant to magic damage, like the Duke's Archives. Make sure to have a good lightning/fire/chaos weapon for backup in there. (Lightning Claymore +5 used to be a pretty popular choice.)

Also, it's possible to get a weapon up to Enchanted +4 very early in the game without too much work, as long as you don't mind a bit of farming. You can get plenty of Green Titanite Shards in the Depths and Blue Titanite Chunks from the Crystal Golems in Darkroot Basin, and the Enchanted Ember's nearby in Darkroot Garden.