First time getting into Souls series, Tips/Advice Welcome

#1poopninjamvc3mkPosted 2/3/2013 7:37:38 AM
Topic^

I played a little of Demons Souls and Dark Souls at a friends house, but never really got into it. Now I bought Dark Souls and figured I get some advice from the good peeps who frequent this board. So yeah any tips & advice welcome but just don't spoil anything that's considered crazy or amazing when you first see it. Thx
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063467937.png Deleted my old sig since some mod apparantly got offended because I mentioned Penn State.
#2KrystohPosted 2/3/2013 7:38:31 AM
poopninjamvc3mk posted...
Topic^

I played a little of Demons Souls and Dark Souls at a friends house, but never really got into it. Now I bought Dark Souls and figured I get some advice from the good peeps who frequent this board. So yeah any tips & advice welcome but just don't spoil anything that's considered crazy or amazing when you first see it. Thx

Try not to read too many guides and faqs.
#3HolyGravePosted 2/3/2013 7:39:13 AM
Krystoh posted...
poopninjamvc3mk posted...
Topic^

Try not to read too many guides and faqs.

---
http://imgur.com/8F0jB
Alyn shir is hot.
#4jackstar_rockPosted 2/3/2013 7:55:28 AM(edited)
I don't get this "don't read a guide on your first play" thing. I'm regretting not knowing that I have to clear New Londo Ruins (to get +15 weapons) before ringing the two bells since my check point at Firelink Shrine is essentially gone until I clear Anor Londo. Well I can do it, but the nearest check points are Andre of Astoria @ Undead Parish or the bonfire below Hellkite Dragon. Both are pretty far if I fall prey to the ghosts at New Londo Ruins.

I'm also regretting that I didn't cut off Gaping Dragon's tail for its drop, only to realize that's a one time per play thing. Thank goodness the crystal lizards in this game respawn until you kill off one, unlike DeS where a blind play can lead to lost opportunities for rare drops.

I get that the intention behind this mindset is to experience deaths as the developers intended, as evidenced by the latest DLC bundled subtitle -"Prepare to Die". Indeed there are many traps and often every enemy requires a different way to deal with it. But please, spare a thought for those who aren't going to spend the next 365 days with this game alone. The lineup for 2013 is pretty strong, and since this game is brutal in its difficulty any form of help to experience the intricate set pieces and boss fights are welcome.

I'm particularly indebted to those who dished out advice on Capra Demon, grinding spots and getting ascended pyromancy +5 with Master Key. ^ Thanks!
#5Kyuubi4269Posted 2/3/2013 7:54:17 AM
Longsword+15 and heater shield is good enough for any fight in NG, so why would rare drops matter the first time through? Finding a rare drop through experience is far more gratifying than farming for it, as are any secrets and they're gratification you can't get again.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders
#6HolyGravePosted 2/3/2013 7:57:50 AM
You can find everything without a guide if you think.
---
http://imgur.com/8F0jB
Alyn shir is hot.
#7jackstar_rockPosted 2/3/2013 7:58:28 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, to get +15 of any weapon, you need Very Large Ember right? Isn't that a treasure in New Londo Ruins? At least according to the wikidot it is? If there is a way to upgrade normal weapons to +15 without wading through New Londo Ruins I would love to know it at this point, since my Firelink Shrine's bonfire is out. ^
#8haarlem1982Posted 2/3/2013 8:05:29 AM
jackstar_rock posted...
Unless I'm mistaken, to get +15 of any weapon, you need Very Large Ember right? Isn't that a treasure in New Londo Ruins? At least according to the wikidot it is? If there is a way to upgrade normal weapons to +15 without wading through New Londo Ruins I would love to know it at this point, since my Firelink Shrine's bonfire is out. ^

No, there isn't unless someone gives one to you, but why would you need a +15 before Anor Londo anyway?
---
You need people like me so you can point your f***ing fingers, and say: that's the bad guy.
psn demonchild82, MILFeaterManfred
#9jackstar_rockPosted 2/3/2013 8:11:44 AM
haarlem1982 posted...
No, there isn't unless someone gives one to you, but why would you need a +15 before Anor Londo anyway?

I'm looking through the checklist of things on the wikidot to prepare for before clearing Anor Londo, and it recommended a +10 normal weapon to ascend to lightning +5. I have the lightning spear at +3, but I'm not sure if that's enough. If anything can be killed by fire my pyromancy will take care of it, but if it resists fire as a certain boss in a poisonous area did I need stronger options, like a +15 winged spear for instance.
#10Kyuubi4269Posted 2/3/2013 8:12:36 AM
haarlem1982 posted...
jackstar_rock posted...

I was using +10 Iaito, grass crest +0 and black iron +0 mid roll to beat Gwyn. Very large ember is practically on the way to four kings, a mandatory boss, and large ember is right on the most obvious path to Quelaag, getting +15 is easy enough to stumble upon and it's not even really necessary.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders