Is there a downside to over levelling for PvE?

#11AIreadylnUsePosted 2/3/2013 2:31:14 PM
I have a character SL 40 who already has lordvessel its ok over level your current character if yoou want more challenging play because this game don't have hard and very hard finish it on low level
level 20 - 40 = Hard
level 2 - 19 = Very Hard
level 1 = you win

SL1 isn't too tough until NG+ and beyond and there's not much distinction between sl1 and sl2. It gives you access to the sword class of weapons which makes the game less boring, but I don't know if it's any easier to kill 4K with a claymore then it is a reinforced club/battle axe/hand axe. There's certainly no distinction between sl19 and sl20..

To tc, play however you want. You'll find the game won't get much easier after you have a decent vit and end pool and one path of magic. You can keep raising everything, but that'll add versatility more then it'll add damage. If you see yourself going to a really high level I'd recommend raising vit and int first.
#12Sain_of_Caelin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 2:33:11 PM
I just beat Sen's Fortress, I've been focusing on Vit and End and I'm thinking Dex will be my main stat for now. Once I hit around 40 on those way down the line I'll put points in other areas.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#13ISayNyaPosted 2/3/2013 2:43:00 PM
No downside for PvE only (since all crucial bosses have NPC white phantoms), but leveling up after 150 is pain - takes a hell lot of souls, too boring to grind them even with increased soul gains.
#14DetsuaxhePosted 2/3/2013 2:57:34 PM
ISayNya posted...
No downside for PvE only (since all crucial bosses have NPC white phantoms), but leveling up after 150 is pain - takes a hell lot of souls, too boring to grind them even with increased soul gains.

It's true that just grinding for levels past 150 is pretty boring, even in NG+, but just killing a boss will generally get you enough souls for a level, even up in the 170 range, assuming you equip the silver serpent ring and symbol of avarice directly after each kill. Plus, once you have all the boss weapons, you can just burn boss souls for the extra cash.
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
When reading and responding to my posts, try to take it easy.
#15ISayNyaPosted 2/3/2013 3:13:02 PM
but just killing a boss will generally get you enough souls for a level, even up in the 170 range, assuming you equip the silver serpent ring and symbol of avarice directly after each kill.

Yet bosses are a very limited resource, so if you want to level to 250+ you have no real choice but to deal with it and start grinding, or delete patches and dragon head glitch.

Plus, once you have all the boss weapons, you can just burn boss souls for the extra cash.

My hoarding instincts don't let me burn such a rare resource. (Disregard that anyway).
#16DetsuaxhePosted 2/3/2013 3:48:38 PM
ISayNya posted...
Yet bosses are a very limited resource, so if you want to level to 250+ you have no real choice but to deal with it and start grinding, or delete patches and dragon head glitch.

Sadly, this is entirely true. But really, you can hit significant points of diminishing return on pretty much every stat long before you hit 250. Anyone grinding past that point must be enjoying the grinding itself. And that solves the problem entirely.

My hoarding instincts don't let me burn such a rare resource. (Disregard that anyway).

My desire to horde and my desire to keep a tidy inventory are in constant conflict. The free souls tip the scales.
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
When reading and responding to my posts, try to take it easy.