question about intelligence builds

#1GreenKnight127Posted 2/3/2013 5:00:14 PM
Currently Soul level 91....and I have 50 points in my intelligence, about 25 into dexterity (to help with casting time).....about 25 into vitality, about 22 into endurance, and 16 into strength.

Haven't really touched any other stat. And don't really plan to.

I'm gunna pump more into vitality, but I'm mainly wondering if I should put anything MORE into intelligence. I keep hearing about "diminishing returns" or something, and how there's really no point in going above 50. But surely it would make my spells stronger?

What kind of catalyst do you recommend I use?

Been mainly using Logan's....and the crystal tin one (forget the exact name, but it cuts your available spell casts in half, but makes 'em WAY stronger) if I want to one-shot something and I'm close to a bonfire.

I'm REALLY annoyed, because I planned on going major Darkmoon Covenant, but I forgot that the Darkmoon Blade spell wasn't a spell at all....it's a MIRACLE!!! Ughh!! So annoyed!

What else should I do with this build? I have no clue what to do.
---
Cheetah Yee-HT Skip-OT no tso-p tsum ooh sen-o eht era s11ort Tenner-ettni laer eht.
#2zyrax2301Posted 2/3/2013 5:05:00 PM
Your INT is good where it is, raising it from there isn't going to make a big difference to anything...you can already use every spell in the game and your magic attack is excellent. I recommend using TCC for PvP and Logan's catalyst for PvE.

If you haven't already got Crystal Magic Weapon, that's as close as you're going to get to the magic equivalent of DMB.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 5:07:37 PM
What about dexterity? How much faster could I cast spells? Is there a magic number I should be at???

To be honest, I haven't noticed much change in casting times as I have leveled up my dexterity.
---
Cheetah Yee-HT Skip-OT no tso-p tsum ooh sen-o eht era s11ort Tenner-ettni laer eht.
#4DetsuaxhePosted 2/3/2013 8:33:28 PM
So you've 'heard' about diminishing returns, but haven't bothered doing any research into what the term actually means? Pure. Genius. Diminishing returns is a term to describe a decrease in the benefits you get from investment past a certain point. In this case, it means that INT, past 50, stops actually improving your offensive power by much. You can refer to the wiki for hard data, but basically any more points in INT will be a complete waste.

Using dex to boost cast speed is a popular idea, with questionable workability. It's mainly beneficial for pyromancers, since they get the biggest speed boost. But it does help for some sorceries. The most import thing to know is that dex won't even START increasing your speed until you reach 36 points. Anything under that has no benefit to casting speed whatsoever. Again, wiki has hard numbers.

The wiki also has a comparison of the magic adjustment for every catalyst. Man, it's almost like the wiki is this massive, incredibly useful repository of information that anyone can use to answer their questions quickly and efficiently.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
When reading and responding to my posts, try to take it easy.
#5turtle225Posted 2/3/2013 9:06:49 PM
pretty much what he said, except without the cynacism.

Just so you know, strength and dex hit their diminishing returns cap at 40 for most (all?) weapons. This is why many reccomend stopping at 27 or 28 for strength so that two handing gets to the cap.

casting speed only improves from dex levels 35-45 so you will need quite a bit more investment before you see a difference.

Crystal magic weapon gives a 1.4 * magic adjust. Darkmoon blade gives 1.8 * magic adjust with potential gains a little greater from covenant advancement. The advantage of crystal magic weapon is that it has 3 uses iirc. Alternatively, use an enchanted weapon.
---
,=,e
#6GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:17:47 PM
Detsuaxhe posted...
So you've 'heard' about diminishing returns, but haven't bothered doing any research into what the term actually means? Pure. Genius. Diminishing returns is a term to describe a decrease in the benefits you get from investment past a certain point. In this case, it means that INT, past 50, stops actually improving your offensive power by much. You can refer to the wiki for hard data, but basically any more points in INT will be a complete waste.

Using dex to boost cast speed is a popular idea, with questionable workability. It's mainly beneficial for pyromancers, since they get the biggest speed boost. But it does help for some sorceries. The most import thing to know is that dex won't even START increasing your speed until you reach 36 points. Anything under that has no benefit to casting speed whatsoever. Again, wiki has hard numbers.

The wiki also has a comparison of the magic adjustment for every catalyst. Man, it's almost like the wiki is this massive, incredibly useful repository of information that anyone can use to answer their questions quickly and efficiently.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

The wiki also has countless lines of text that are crossed out because it took months for people to realize it was false data.

But I appreciate your obnoxious cynicism that was sugar-coated with real information that I hope didn't KILL your little fingers to type out for me.

Do you do this to all threads on gamefaqs where people ask basic questions about the game??? Because, technically, you could.

"WHY DON'T YOU JUST GOOGLE IT?!?!"

Maybe it's because I want to hear from real people who I know are playing the game, and have personal experience with the game and differing opinions?

Maybe I didn't want to google it?

Maybe you can burn in hell?

LMAO
---
#7DetsuaxhePosted 2/3/2013 9:29:39 PM
Today I learned that a tone of superiority will make someone mad enough that they can't even pretend to be thankful for the helpful response I gave them.

You're welcome.
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
#8GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:33:45 PM
Detsuaxhe posted...
Today I learned that a tone of superiority will make someone mad enough that they can't even pretend to be thankful for the helpful response I gave them.

You're welcome.

Today I have tagged Detsuaxhe with the phrase, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST GOOGLE IT!?!"

It's the first time I have ever tagged someone. It looks hilarious!

I'll know when I see you again.

I can't wait to see you ask a question on Gamefaqs. I'll be able to give you a taste of your own obnoxiously pretentious medicine!

LMAO

But something tells me you aren't the type of guy who asks questions on Gamefaqs. You just troll the threads where other people ask questions so you can tell them to just google it.

Hahahahaa, ohhhh man. This is great!
---
#9DetsuaxhePosted 2/3/2013 9:35:09 PM
Are you really this mad just because I recommended that you use the wiki? That doesn't seem very healthy.
---
#10GreenKnight127(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:39:06 PM
Detsuaxhe posted...
Are you really this mad just because I recommended that you use the wiki? That doesn't seem very healthy.

It's the way you recommended it, man.

Totally rude.

You could essentially say that to anyone who ever asks a question about anything.

Why you chose to be so pretentious to my innocent question is beyond me.

You should really work on your message board etiquette. .
---