Good starting build?

#1holywtfomgPosted 2/4/2013 10:39:42 PM
I been following a guide on the wiki for a pike pyromancer but I'm noticing alot of monsters are difficult to hit with the pikes stabbing motion. not to mention the damage to things such as bosses. my damage goes from 33 then doubles till my stamina runs out, anything really small or that flies i have trouble.

im not too far in the game but is this char worth sticking with?
---
pokemon black FC: 3139 1107 1394
playstation id: debauchee
#2SSJPabsPosted 2/4/2013 10:52:27 PM
What are your current stats and SL?

If you want to use a stabby weapon, the Silver Knight Spear might be a better choice. You can still Pyro.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.
#3holywtfomg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:02:26 PM
24 str 10 dex 34 endurance are what i put points in

I use a +5 pike
grass crest shield +1
Wolf ring and havel's ring

still fooling around with armor to see what i do better with I'm currently in a swamp about to fight a boss, i made it to the 2nd bonfire

(didn't wanna spoil anything)
---
#4xChaosLordxPosted 2/4/2013 11:07:50 PM
For PVE, use the Zwihander. It hits like a truck, upgrade it to lightning or chaos. Before that just upgrade it to the normal path. Either that or go with a Large club, and bump STR to 27, and you can do a lot of damage with it while 2hing it.

I prefer higher AR weapons for PVE, because a lot of mobs can have defense numbers that will heavily mitigate light to medium damage weapons, and when you get in the 600 AR range with physical, you're gonna hit for good numbers no matter what.
#5FoaloalPosted 2/4/2013 11:07:54 PM
It sounds like you might not know about upgrading your weapon since you said you're dealing like 33-66 damage. Visit a blacksmith and use titanite to upgrade, your weapons will mostly do miserable damage if you don't upgrade them at all.
#6SSJPabsPosted 2/4/2013 11:10:53 PM(edited)
I'd say stop on the endurance for a while. What you have will last you a long time. 24 strength and 10 dex... you can go quality build (27/8 strength, 40 dex) or do pure strength.

The problem is that your pike is ultimately a Dex weapon as it achieves a B scaling in dex but only a D in strength. I think a better and more fun choice would be the Butcher Knife. Have you gotten it? You can obtain it near the bonfire at the bottom of the swamp if you're human. It requires 24 strength to use and only 10 dex. I have a Faith build with a normal butcher knife (I use SLB) and it was great. You also regain about 7 HP each time you strike an enemy with the butcher knife.

ED: Also you should be able to make +10 weapons by now. You should grab the Large Ember in the Depths before you go much farther.
---
#7holywtfomg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:10:06 PM
i upgraded my pike to +5

the damage scales each hit, so its like 1 handed 33 66 99 ect but no element of course, the guide i read said it should last me till i can upgraded it more in another town so i just been doing that. its worked ok so far except blighttown |:
---
#8xChaosLordxPosted 2/4/2013 11:12:16 PM
With those stats definitely bump STR to 27 and 2h a large club. Raise the Large Club to +15, and your 2h attack will be over 600 with a +15 large club. And its pure physical damage, which is better than split damage. Low to medium damage vs high defense = crap damage numbers, but high damage vs high defense = much better numbers. And most stuff with weak defense will get 1hko'd by the large club anyway. Also for bosses, use power within. It buffs all your damage by 40%, but gives you some HP drain. If you want to see damage numbers in the 4 digit range power within is the way to go.
#9orphanjohnPosted 2/4/2013 11:13:13 PM
Get your dex to 45 and str to 27. (28 if you want to use the murakumo)
---
PSN: orphanjohn/OrphanFromdabloc (DkS)
Currently playing: Dark Souls, UMvC3, Transformers: FoC, Black Ops 2
#10SSJPabsPosted 2/4/2013 11:13:29 PM
holywtfomg posted...
i upgraded my pike to +5

the damage scales each hit, so its like 1 handed 33 66 99 ect but no element of course, the guide i read said it should last me till i can upgraded it more in another town so i just been doing that. its worked ok so far except blighttown |:
That number is total damage. It's not 33+66+99, the actual damage dealt is 33+33+33. Not sure if you knew that or not, wasn't clear. The same guy that made your weapon +5 makes your weapon+10 if you give him the Ember that makes its possible.
---