How do you start an Int build, making sure it's strong as you build up to 125?

#11Dealer-of-DoomPosted 2/7/2013 4:21:03 AM
Sounded like he wanted magic buffs, not casts, however.

Which I recommend highly as regular casts slaughter pve and dark magic is easy mode for pvp. Why do that? Don't lose your melee skills by going Mage. I like where you're headed.

I'm not into using buffs... But with a magic buff build you'll definitely want more vit than early posts said. And you'll wanna choose your str or dex carefully, as int builds can have a difficult time maxing everything they want in these cases at 125. A pure caster is fine... But a melee or hybrid build needs a range of additional stat boosts that can make your build a careful selection process, in my opinion.

Avoid cheesing pve or pvp with casts... Or, if you do, get past it quickly and back into the fun of actual engaging. This is dark souls, not angry birds.
#12VidmorPosted 2/7/2013 4:47:05 AM
dozingdevil posted...

That's not true.

16 str, 45 dex, 44 int, Balder Side Sword
magic - 446 (187, 259)
enchanted - 448 (170, 278)

Not only is it's AR 2 point higher, it has a higher magic split making it more effective on most people.

You're talking about 2 overall damage and 19 greater magic damage at the cost of 17 physical. These are negligible differences. If you're making an Int build, raising str or dex for the sake of a few points of damage isn't worth it, considering the points could be invested else where for an overall better character. Enchanted/Magic weapons have reduced scaling, so the only reason you should increase Str or Dex is to meet weapon requirements and for the faster casting speed that Dex grants.
#13X-PICU-XPosted 2/7/2013 5:00:05 AM
Vidmor posted...
dozingdevil posted...

That's not true.

16 str, 45 dex, 44 int, Balder Side Sword
magic - 446 (187, 259)
enchanted - 448 (170, 278)

Not only is it's AR 2 point higher, it has a higher magic split making it more effective on most people.

You're talking about 2 overall damage and 19 greater magic damage at the cost of 17 physical. These are negligible differences. If you're making an Int build, raising str or dex for the sake of a few points of damage isn't worth it, considering the points could be invested else where for an overall better character. Enchanted/Magic weapons have reduced scaling, so the only reason you should increase Str or Dex is to meet weapon requirements and for the faster casting speed that Dex grants.

but honestly, spending that much in dex(45) in an int build(50) making an enchanted+5 is it worth it just to reduce casting time in some or all sorcery? I think one could spend those points into something else. Im bout to start an int build soon & don't want to spend points to find out later it wasn't worth it.
---
PS3 ID: X-PICU-X
"life its simple...just take choices & never look back"
#14VidmorPosted 2/7/2013 3:10:17 PM
If you're really going to focus on casting, the extra cast speed is worth it. Dex weapons are versatile as it is, so you won't be at a disadvantage by increasing it to 45. There are some videos on youtube that illustrate the difference in speed very well, and may be worth a look if you're having trouble deciding.
#15X-PICU-XPosted 2/7/2013 4:10:12 PM
Vidmor posted...
If you're really going to focus on casting, the extra cast speed is worth it. Dex weapons are versatile as it is, so you won't be at a disadvantage by increasing it to 45. There are some videos on youtube that illustrate the difference in speed very well, and may be worth a look if you're having trouble deciding.

to be honest its for co-op & low lv invasion (sl50), but Im not relying in full casting. Besides I saw some vids like you suggest & the diference isnt that great, but like someone said in the comments, "something is better than nothing" so maybe I'll make a sl120 to have both. Thanks anyway.
---
PS3 ID: X-PICU-X
"life its simple...just take choices & never look back"