Is Poise useful?

#1ahrelocoPosted 2/8/2013 12:08:13 AM
If I'm using a fast weapon for normal fighting, or a STR weapon for backstab fishing, should I have some poise?
#2aznblader1Posted 2/8/2013 12:13:28 AM
poise is useful if you get hit, it's more or less your recovery rate/how much you can take before your shield block breaks.

if you're so good as to never get hit, then i suppose poise isn't needed...though people usually get some in pvp.

i don't know the exact cut-offs for poise though
---
ign: aznblader1
#3WafalafaugusPosted 2/8/2013 12:42:29 AM
Poise is useful, yes. No matter how good at this game you get, you're bound to get hit. Without poise each hit will stagger you, leading up to additional damage. Is it absolutely necessary? No, plenty of builds run with no poise.

Also, poise has nothing to do with stamina drain while blocking; that is determined by a stat that equipment has labelled "stability."
---
Use Transvestite curses or the Ghost blades to damage them.~Ahriman
#4ahreloco(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:46:50 AM
Wafalafaugus posted...
Poise is useful, yes. No matter how good at this game you get, you're bound to get hit. Without poise each hit will stagger you, leading up to additional damage."

What do you mean with 'additional damage'? Can't I just switch my weapon or shield and then roll backwards after being hit?
#5WafalafaugusPosted 2/8/2013 12:48:19 AM
Right, toggle escaping. Since you know about that technique, you may change it to "leading up to inconveniences."
---
#6ahreloco(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:55:34 AM
Wafalafaugus posted...
Right, toggle escaping. Since you know about that technique, you may change it to "leading up to inconveniences."

Oh, I see, thanks.

Anyway, if you please, I'd like you to tell me about those inconveniences that I may encounter if I don't have enough poise. As I said, I use fast weapons for normal fighting, and STR weapons for backstab fishing only.
#7WafalafaugusPosted 2/8/2013 1:07:08 AM
Being staggered is an inconvenience, as it can interrupt a lot of things. At least you don't have to worry about stun locking.
---
#8AIreadylnUsePosted 2/8/2013 5:51:32 AM
ahreloco posted...
If I'm using a fast weapon for normal fighting, or a STR weapon for backstab fishing, should I have some poise?

If you're not in it for the exchange game or to poise stab it's superflous. As a fast weapon user, asides from something like running up to someone with a buffed falchion or a gold tracer and mashing r1 poise is an accessory. If you manage to get corner WoG'd or something poise above 21 is also a negative... having 8 is nice though.

If you are just going for bs with str weapons then you can use it to poise stab whenever the other player does anything but back up, this will make you super good at pvp and a pretty cool great guy too. Try invading with power within and hornets if you're thinking about going pro.
#9dthomas125Posted 2/8/2013 6:52:17 AM
AIreadylnUse posted...
ahreloco posted...

If you're not in it for the exchange game or to poise stab it's superflous. As a fast weapon user, asides from something like running up to someone with a buffed falchion or a gold tracer and mashing r1 poise is an accessory. If you manage to get corner WoG'd or something poise above 21 is also a negative... having 8 is nice though.

If you are just going for bs with str weapons then you can use it to poise stab whenever the other player does anything but back up, this will make you super good at pvp and a pretty cool great guy too. Try invading with power within and hornets if you're thinking about going pro.

The 2nd paragraph should be on the back cover of the game. 10/10
---
PSN - dthomas125 - "Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75." Benjamin Franklin
#10Mr_MassacrePosted 2/8/2013 7:45:06 AM
Wafalafaugus posted...
Being staggered is an inconvenience, as it can interrupt a lot of things. At least you don't have to worry about stun locking.

Inconvenience??

Being staggered = death vs more than 1 enemy

I see poise has the ability to trade hits, the hornet ring (i believe) boosts counter damage.

If your using a slow but powerful heavy weapon like zweihander then you will need a decent amount of poise or you will get hit out of your attacks regularly.
---
throwitup4mk: "Will Mega Mon be in this?"
xeraton:"Unfortunately Jamaican Megaman was too busy getting high"