Is it me, or do rapiers suck?

#1BladeKnifePosted 2/9/2013 5:18:22 PM
Before the elemental nerf they were pretty decent low-stat, low-weight, backstabbing tools. But now something like the +5 Chaos Estoc does garbage backstab damage -- I think even the claymore is stronger.

From other posts I've seen, the weapon with the strongest backstab at 16 str (one-handed) is the Gargoyle Halberd. Is that the new rapier? Hope not, because Halberds are terrible.
---
Disclaimer: you must be 16 years or older to have meaningful conversations on the internet.
#2marioparty17Posted 2/9/2013 5:28:06 PM
They were always a Cri weapon, they were meant to poke poke back stab/ripost

using the leo ring give it alot more damage when u do land a counter, but that it.
---
3DS FC 2535-3692-1887 PSN : MARIOPARTY17
He covered from head to toe in weaponary, like a rainbow apocalypses - Viridi Goddess of Nature from KI:U
#3tlnPosted 2/9/2013 5:28:21 PM
The Estoc doesn't have a high critical modifier though. Elemental Rapiers are decent (they deal higher bs damage than the DSS against some enemies), but the heavy weapons are still kings when it comes to backstabs. The biggest disappointment for me is the Rapier+15. It deals less damage than the DSS at 40 DEX which feels like a wasted slab to me.
#4HoratioCrawPosted 2/9/2013 5:29:42 PM(edited)
e: too slow
#5BladeKnife(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:34:21 PM
tln posted...
The Estoc doesn't have a high critical modifier though. Elemental Rapiers are decent

According to this topic:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/65185457

An elemental rapier does less damage than an elemental claymore. If that's right, then they're not decent, they're horrible.
---
Disclaimer: you must be 16 years or older to have meaningful conversations on the internet.
#6Tr1pLe-Posted 2/9/2013 6:30:01 PM
The chaos galberd always did more crit damage than a chaos rapier even before patch. Its just that it weighs 6 unit. Right now, at 40 dex, the dst does more bs damage, the chaos rapier does more riposte damage. Since everyone can bs, dst wins and is .5 units lighter.
#7Tr1pLe-Posted 2/9/2013 6:32:43 PM
BladeKnife posted...
tln posted...
The Estoc doesn't have a high critical modifier though. Elemental Rapiers are decent

According to this topic:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/65185457

An elemental rapier does less damage than an elemental claymore. If that's right, then they're not decent, they're horrible.

Dont go with those values, it doesnt translate to pvp. Testing on hollows is a waste of time. U will get better results from the black knights in the kiln.
#8MrSmi7hPosted 2/9/2013 7:02:10 PM
The damage is still pretty good, you can also try dex scaling Estocs or Rapiers, a clay does not have better damage, gargoyle halberd in the other hand, always have been stronger, because of AR mostly, great club is even better.
---
My Murakumo duel vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=and0qFN4cpI
#9acangialPosted 2/9/2013 7:04:21 PM
Velkas Rapier is THE weapon of choice for a Sorcerer when up against another player that can effectively evade magic. The L2 catches many players by surprise. I have killed many a foe with Velka's. You can 't test it for PVe because it sucks against bosses. It's strictly a PvP weapon.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man
#10lucky_sharm19Posted 2/9/2013 7:04:27 PM
Estoc is more useful as a primary means of engagement rather than being a backstab/riposte weapon. It still deals more critical damage than other weapons, though.
---
PSN: GSPhantom
Shall we dance, my darling?