Dark Souls or Demon Souls? Will I even like either?!

#1HaloODSTDPosted 2/12/2013 9:39:25 AM
which one? - Results (70 votes)
Dark Souls
71.43% (50 votes)
Demon Souls
18.57% (13 votes)
neither.
10% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I keep seeing these games on top of everyone's lists so I'm definitely interested. I haven't played these sorts of swords and magic rpg games like Diablo, but the game looks interesting. So I have a few questions:

- which game allows dropin multiplayer? can a stranger dropin at any time? you do the same?

- is it always you vs everyone or will a npc come to help fight alongside you from time to time?

- which has the best story?

- which is more difficult? are there difficulty settings? (easy, normal, hard)

- Is it like playing the Halo games on legendary?
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#2inkatchiPosted 2/12/2013 9:45:16 AM
- The multiplayer allows you to "summon" players if you're human, and be invaded if you're human. You can also summon NPC's for bosses.

- The story in Dark Souls isn't explicitly told, you have to scour the world to find it, usually in item descriptions, or things NPC's say.

- They're both about the same, and no, the game is punishingly difficult if you're not patient, or willing to learn from your mistakes.

- ..No. This game is NOTHING like Halo.
---
3DS FC: 3952-7605-2568
#3HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 9:52:45 AM
inkatchi posted...
- The multiplayer allows you to "summon" players if you're human, and be invaded if you're human. You can also summon NPC's for bosses.

- ..No. This game is NOTHING like Halo.

you can summon NPCs for bosses in both games? are they helpful fighters or kinda stand around?

By Halo I mean the Legendary difficulty: you'll die if you run into a crowd guns blazing. you have to take a step back and use your surroundings, weapons, and other equipment wisely.
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#4YuenkuPosted 2/12/2013 9:53:19 AM
Both games allow multiplayer, though Dark Soul's is more active. In both games, Multiplayer is "semi-open" for dropping in and out; multiplayer is only open when you are "Human" instead of "undead" (you can switch between forms; its easier to remain undead, but isn't too difficult to become human again)

NPC's can help you from time to time in certain areas; plus you can also "summon" other players to your world to help you fight through an area (you have to be human to do so, which runs the risk of players "invading" your world to try and kill you).

As far as the "story" goes, it is -not- spoonfed to you at all; you'll have to look up the lore through item description, wiki's and lore videos. Its easy to lay through the game without understanding the story at all, only to realize how deep the world actually is. I prefer Dark Souls infinitly more compared to Demon's souls.

There are no difficulty settings in either game, though summoning players to help you makes the game very easy.

And, coming from a Halo player since the original, it is not as unforgiving as Halo on Legendary. That said, beating an area in Dark souls is rewarding and enjoyable. Beating a level on Legendary in Halo is more like finally finishing a hard chore =O
---
~**Lolicon Pride**~
#5shibulatorPosted 2/12/2013 9:53:30 AM
They're both kind of like learning you got an STD, but there's treatment available in the form of extremely painful shots that are very expensive.
---
"Miracles by their definition are meaningless - only what can happen does happen."
#6YuenkuPosted 2/12/2013 9:54:27 AM
Oh, and get Dark Souls over Demon's. Its a better game all around.
---
~**Lolicon Pride**~
#7shadowsofdawnPosted 2/12/2013 10:02:22 AM(edited)
I'd say start with Demon's then move on the Dark.

Both have similar co-op mechanics wher eyou can summon help from other players; only Dark Souls has NPC that are summonable, though you can sometimes fight along side NPCs in Demon's in special circumstances.

I'll agree overall Dark Souls is the better game simply because its larger and has more contentl but Demon's Souls has an atmosphere that is unparalleled and some very memorable bosses and weapons. PvP was tons better in Demon's as well.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#8d3dsightPosted 2/12/2013 10:03:57 AM
Halo on Legendary is much, much harder than either of these games on NG+.
#9thanatos313Posted 2/12/2013 10:16:17 AM
HaloODSTD posted...

By Halo I mean the Legendary difficulty: you'll die if you run into a crowd guns blazing.

lolwut? in Halo CE maybe..
---
poke white FC: 4299 0210 7763
http://www.youtube.com/user/thanatos313games
#10tlnPosted 2/12/2013 10:18:28 AM
LOL at comparing Dark Souls to Halo.