Some things I personally didn't like about the game

#31jackstar_rockPosted 2/16/2013 8:52:24 PM(edited)
Actually, in this game's defense I'll address a few points:

- that you're invaded offline. If you're not connected to the internet, or your PSN isn't up, then that's the game's simulation of an invasion. It can only happen when you're in human form. Look up the wikidot on it.

- that bosses stunlock you. I've only been stunlocked by DLC boss Knight Artorias' low somersault *3 spin attack - and that's easy to dodge 3 times without draining your entire stamina bar.

If you're trying to cut off Seathe's tail and got smacked a few times, you probably rolled to the wrong side when your character is getting up.

The bosses in vanilla Drk, to the best of my knowledge, have no such attacks. Capra? You might have mistaken the dogs' + Capra's attacks as stunlocked combos, which in a way you're right that you can't escape. As everyone said, the first 5 seconds of the fight determines the outcome - you simply have to roll and get rid of the dogs first. OR you can come back later with super spells and 2 shot the boss.

The list of loleasy bosses (most people nail them on the first few attempts):

i.) Pinwheel
ii.) Gaping Dragon
iii.) Moonlight Butterfly
iv.) Ceaseless Discharge
v.) Demon Firsage
vi.) Iron Golem
vii.) Stray Demon
viii.) Bell Gargolyes
ix.) Chaos Witch
x.) Centipede Demon
xi) Seathe - direct engagement, no tail cut.
xii) Hydra. Both of them.
xiii.) Nito

Taurus Demon is not a boss. :p He's just a punching bag to teach the player how to get omgwtfbbq damage using jump attacks.

The list of somewhat difficult bosses but are really one trick ponies once you know what to do:

i.) Four Kings
ii.) The Bed of Chaos
iii.) Dark Sun Gwyndolin
iv.) Gwyn
v.) Seathe - tail cut.
vi.) Capra Demon
vii.) Ornstein and Smough

All the DLC bosses are much more aggressive and they are not coded with one weakness or attack pattern in mind. You simply have to study all 6~8 of their attacks and learn how to trigger them so their backs are exposed to you - and identify those attacks that are designed to deceive you into committing an attack since their recovery is fast.

- Character creation is useless! My character looks like a zombie no matter what I do! You're in hollow form. Play in human form if you want to co-op, though as mentioned the tradeoff risk is that you get invaded by SL1 dudes with +15 weapons + all rings needed to 1 shot you. If you want to play in human form to admire the fine face you crafted, play offline and no one can invade you. Well, except scripted NPCs.

That said, I do think this game went too far in the direction of no hand holding. Without the various step by step tutorials that some vets taught me on using the master key + wikidot + Youtube videos, I would have never figured out how to cut off Kalameet's tail easily. Further, while I think the bosses are easy, I think getting there is the real challenge. I'm such an expert in being an airborne trooper minus the parachutes people mistake me for the moonlight ballerina along Sen's/Royal Wood/Anor Londo now!

I'm also not fond of the ragdoll physics, and I think this game lacks creativity. A lot of content - from areas to boss designs - are simply recycled assets derived from other popular works. But I can't agree with the complaints about the difficulty, since the resources to deal with them are plentiful in 2013. Yes, you have to use Google, since this game doesn't spawn some mascot that goes, "Hey! Ghosts! They are ethereal beings remember?! See those 2 Transient Curses lying at the start the dungeon that they dwell in? That's their weakness!"

If you just came to Drk after finishing Ni no Kuni, you will know who I'm making a reference to. ^
#32Number4RocketPosted 2/16/2013 10:30:11 PM
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
and now apparently my game is glitched because i spawned at the Firelinks fire, and i got attacked by human NPC's.....while OFFLINE, since i'm cursed i have half my health, which means i die easily, which now means i have to start over. Looks like I might be returning this when i pick up Metal Gear Rising on Tuesday, and probably not buying Dark Souls 2. Thanks for ruining what might have been awesome From Software

Please return it. You either have no ****ing clue what is happening in your own game or are making **** up. And it's just annoying.

Also, to the people who need guides to get through this, seriously? Metroid Prime games had navigation like 10x more confusing than this game, and hell probably Zelda has a higher capacity for getting lost.
Christ.

I'm mostly a linear-based player but I never got in a situation where I had to give up because I couldn't figure out what the next area should be (though within the area I had some difficulty, such draining the Abyss of water since I didn't have the LV and didn't realize you have to kill Ingward as one example).
#33FoaloalPosted 2/16/2013 10:38:43 PM
There should be a rule that people who haven't beaten the game shouldn't comment on it.
All my friends hated this game for the first 5-10 hours. Then when I forced them to keep playing they started to "get it" and they ended up really enjoying the game, one of them has played more than I have!

I've never read a single (non-troll) post complaining about the game that came from somebody who has even gotten the lordvessel, let alone finished their first run.
#34FoxtrotDelta88Posted 2/16/2013 11:09:22 PM
Number4Rocket posted...
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
and now apparently my game is glitched because i spawned at the Firelinks fire, and i got attacked by human NPC's.....while OFFLINE, since i'm cursed i have half my health, which means i die easily, which now means i have to start over. Looks like I might be returning this when i pick up Metal Gear Rising on Tuesday, and probably not buying Dark Souls 2. Thanks for ruining what might have been awesome From Software

Please return it. You either have no ****ing clue what is happening in your own game or are making **** up. And it's just annoying.

Also, to the people who need guides to get through this, seriously? Metroid Prime games had navigation like 10x more confusing than this game, and hell probably Zelda has a higher capacity for getting lost.
Christ.

I'm mostly a linear-based player but I never got in a situation where I had to give up because I couldn't figure out what the next area should be (though within the area I had some difficulty, such draining the Abyss of water since I didn't have the LV and didn't realize you have to kill Ingward as one example).

Why would i make $%^& up, what do i have to gain by making $%^& up? Nothing. This is one of those few times when having a capture card would come in handy.
---
I believe in Jim Gordon...I believe in Harvey Dent...I believe in Gotham City
#35Number4RocketPosted 2/16/2013 11:27:00 PM
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...

Why would i make $%^& up, what do i have to gain by making $%^& up?

I don't care. As if people only do what gives them gain. Right, go tell that to trolls, or hell, tell it to anybody wasting their time on a ****ing game forum.

Like I said, you either have no clue about what you're doing and probably whacked an NPC or something, or are just making **** up. You've already made past statements about cheating when people simply stay at low level and grief, which is common as hell. I see no reason for you to stop making more asinine assumptions at this point, and all things related.
#36CocoDollfacePosted 2/16/2013 11:43:48 PM
I got confused once the entire game about where to go in Anor Londo when I didn't know you had to drop off the side of the bridge to run along the roof to get to the huge cathedral/painting room. That's it. The rest was immense fun to explore. In fact I wish I could go back to my first playthrough just to experience it all again. The design is amazing and probably the best part of the single player game. Not all of us need or even want quest markers telling us where to go.

I really don't understand how a person wouldn't like this game if they liked Demon's Souls. The gameplay is almost exactly the same with a few subtle changes.
#37FoxtrotDelta88Posted 2/16/2013 11:52:46 PM
Number4Rocket posted...
. You've already made past statements about cheating when people simply stay at low level and grief, which is common as hell. I see no reason for you to stop making more asinine assumptions at this point, and all things related.

Sorry for being a new player to the game and not looking up any exploits that people may do to grief players, I don't get any kind of amusement out of "trolling" players on a forum. I come to the forum for help. I'm sure I'll have other questions in the future about the game since like i said, its way more confusing than Demon's Souls since it's no longer linear and there's no kind of map or compass telling me where i should go next, and i hope that maybe next time you might be more helpful and not accuse me of not knowing whats going on, which may be possible since this game is a little different that Demon's Souls and honestly, there will be moments where i won't know whats going on, or accusing me of making "asinine assumptions" again.
---
#38Number4RocketPosted 2/17/2013 12:03:44 AM
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
<not looking up any exploits that people may do to grief players

It's not an exploit. It's just beating the game at a low level. There you go again!
#39FoxtrotDelta88Posted 2/17/2013 12:08:46 AM
Ok, with that dude who kept forgetting that I'm new at the game, therefore i don't know what's an exploit, glitch, hack or otherwise now ignored, i can ask a quick question without fear of him saying something not helpful at all. I keep upgrading my strength and other stats tied to attack power but my overall attack seems to be capped out at 200? Is this because of the weapons I'm using, like if i get stronger weapons it's go above 200?
---
#40SteamyPunkPosted 2/17/2013 2:25:15 AM
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
I keep upgrading my strength and other stats tied to attack power but my overall attack seems to be capped out at 200? Is this because of the weapons I'm using, like if i get stronger weapons it's go above 200?

LOL.. Drake sword doesn't scale with any stats... Switch to a Claymore or Bastard Sword and upgrade them to +5.