Gamefaqs PvPers

#11haarlem1982Posted 2/26/2013 4:00:11 AM
HolyGrave posted...
Haarlem's tournemend ended up failing, i know for sure this one will too.

...And thank you...:/.

But yeah, 16 players is a lot, expect rounds to take 15-30 minutes each, that is, if the internet connection gods are favorable, so it might be a good idea to spread it out over 2 or 3 days. This will raise the chance of people not getting too bored while awaiting their turn an start doing something else.

You should also think about getting some reserve players, to substitute for people not showing up.

Anyway, I wish you good luck in setting it up and I hope this goes better than the one we had a week and a half ago.
---
You need people like me so you can point your f***ing fingers, and say: that's the bad guy.
psn demonchild82, MILFeaterManfred
#12mojie55(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 8:51:20 AM
haarlem1982

How did you run your tournament? Did you attempt it over a weekend? We started feeling it out for a month before it started signing players up and weeding out as many players we thought wouldn't make it. It started early Feb and will be finished in about 3 weeks. PS3 and Xbox actually had 25+ participate. PC not as much, a lot of dropouts.

I'm part of Reddit/r/darksouls

We set up a new subreddit for PVP /r/darksoulspvp

I can guarantee 8 players on PS3 and XBox, they are really excited and everyone is loving competitive PVP and want more. We are attempting another shorter tournament, straight knockout, cosplay next week to see if its plausible.

The longer worked because we allowed time for real life, some players head school deadlines, some business trips and some vacation, but they all got to fight their fights. A shorter one only works if players fight. We'll see how it goes.

We are also going to test a few other potential tournaments, low level pvp, 2v2 things like that. We are also interested in this team event. It doesn't have to be run over a day, but it could be. We attempt to have a host as a judge to make sure there is no controversy. Say we had 2 Gamefaqs hosts and 2 reddit hosts. We could technically have 4 fights happening at one time and finish everything in 2 hours. We could get to a point that we don't need hosts and players can just summon each other to fight. A lot of the our players record their fights and put it on youtube.

8 players each. We all fight once in a best of 3.

haarlem1982 Vs Mojie55
GF Player 2 Vs /r/ Player 2
GF Player 3 Vs /r/ Player 3
GF Player 4 Vs /r/ Player 4
GF Player 5 Vs /r/ Player 5
GF Player 6 Vs /r/ Player 6
GF Player 7 Vs /r/ Player 7
GF Player 8 Vs /r/ Player 8

If we have 4 hosts and they each organise 4 players at the same time in different areas. Haarlem organises players 3 and 4 in the depths at 5pm on a saturday while I organise players 5 and 6 in the painted world at the same time. Then players 1 and 2 can fight at 6 and the same for 7 and 8.

It can really be done. Everyone that wants to fight, all you have to do is fight. You only need 8 active PvPers for a team, I would recommend a couple more in case something comes up for certain players. I can get 8 no problem. Can Gamefaqs? Competitive PvP is incredibly fun. It feels a bit like the first time you got invaded.
#13haarlem1982Posted 2/26/2013 9:46:11 AM
^ Seems like you put more time and effort in than I had...

My tourney basically sprung into my mind on a boring friday at work, posted the idea here to see if people were up for it and a week later it was held. As far as spreading it out, we had no real plans, we just started with the idea to quit when people got tired and plan a date to resume, which never happened.

It didn't really help that of the 3 hosts we had, 1 didn't show and 1 had severe connection issues, so it basically was 1 host.

But anyway, I have no real intention of joining, I will if you can only get 7, just to make it work, but I will need to know a few days in advance, because I don't know how strict the 120 rule is, but most of my builds end up between 125 and 130, so I will need to make a new one.
---
You need people like me so you can point your f***ing fingers, and say: that's the bad guy.
#14HolyGravePosted 2/26/2013 9:52:43 AM
haarlem1982 posted...
HolyGrave posted...

But yeah, 16 players is a lot, expect rounds to take 15-30 minutes each, that is, if the internet connection gods are favorable, so it might be a good idea to spread it out over 2 or 3 days. This will raise the chance of people not getting too bored while awaiting their turn an start doing something else.

You should also think about getting some reserve players, to substitute for people not showing up.

Anyway, I wish you good luck in setting it up and I hope this goes better than the one we had a week and a half ago.

No no, i didn't mean it in that way. I mean that most of the tournements fail, because there are always some people who cancel, internet problems etc etc etc
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfmPREbTd8&feature=player_embedded
August burns red and the ghost inside <3
#15mojie55(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:00:17 AM
haarlem1982 posted...
^ Seems like you put more time and effort in than I had...

My tourney basically sprung into my mind on a boring friday at work, posted the idea here to see if people were up for it and a week later it was held. As far as spreading it out, we had no real plans, we just started with the idea to quit when people got tired and plan a date to resume, which never happened.

It didn't really help that of the 3 hosts we had, 1 didn't show and 1 had severe connection issues, so it basically was 1 host.

But anyway, I have no real intention of joining, I will if you can only get 7, just to make it work, but I will need to know a few days in advance, because I don't know how strict the 120 rule is, but most of my builds end up between 125 and 130, so I will need to make a new one.

I was just using you as an example. If 125 is needed to make it work, no objections from us, there is not much difference between 120-130. Some of our players fight at 100 already. I am just feeling it out first to see if there is interest.
#16mojie55(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:05:44 AM
HolyGrave posted...
haarlem1982 posted...
HolyGrave posted...

No no, i didn't mean it in that way. I mean that most of the tournements fail, because there are always some people who cancel, internet problems etc etc etc

I agree that a lot of tournaments have had flaky players in the past. Internet problems have happened, but not near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I would say our PS3 and XBOX tournament have been a success. PC not so much but we are working on it. Players just have to be accountable for themselves. This type of team tournament should be easy. You only need to fight once, no long time commitment. We pick a weekend, you find out who your opponent is and the both of you can arrange a time that suits both players to fight. if needs be.
#17haarlem1982Posted 2/26/2013 10:20:13 AM
HolyGrave posted...
haarlem1982 posted...
HolyGrave posted...

Dude, you need to learn sarcasm. It was meant as the English version of 'en bedankt he!'
---
#18HolyGravePosted 2/26/2013 10:35:32 AM
haarlem1982 posted...
HolyGrave posted...
haarlem1982 posted...
HolyGrave posted...

Dude, you need to learn sarcasm. It was meant as the English version of 'en bedankt he!'

Yeah, lol. Now i see it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfmPREbTd8&feature=player_embedded
August burns red and the ghost inside <3
#19leee933Posted 2/27/2013 8:52:36 AM
Last tournament I was with went very well. It was hosted by silentarm and jumillatori or won. We broke each group into 6 people over 4 days, 3 hour marks
#20mojie55(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 9:18:21 AM
Looks like we have your Xbox Pvpers ready to fight this weekend. Are you lot able to get 8 players for next weekend?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/65566774?page=4