So elemental weapons suck now?

#1chaotix247Posted 2/26/2013 12:10:25 AM
Haven't played for a while and remember always wanting to make my weapons elemental to get through the game.
---
Capcom needs to go out of business to learn what they have done.
Currently Playing - DMCHD, Far Cry 3, NHL13, BO2 (vaguely), MGR Rising Revengeance
#2dozingdevilPosted 2/26/2013 12:11:05 AM
Elemental weapons don't suck. They are still useful when using base stats to wield a weapon.
---
PSN: Swordsaintscoot/ IronShadowDragon
#3Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/26/2013 12:46:38 AM
Lightining great for chain damage and on fast weapons

Fire/Chaos great for giving co-op partners that extra second to get behind and enemy and backstab.

Divine/Occult/Magic/Enchanted - great for ripping through armored enemies that have no magic defense.

Raw - great for low level players who need to wield weapons strong enough to go after high level players
#4Drago77Posted 2/26/2013 7:33:16 AM
They haven't been good since the 1.05 patch, now they are pretty terrible unless you're doing a low level playthrough. That's the one and only way to use elementals. Don't listen to people recommending raw upgrade paths, its kind of like leveling up your resistance (useless), also a waste of upgrade materials.
---
www.youtube.com/ivandrago2k
PSN:Halle_Berry
#5brumeyPosted 2/26/2013 7:43:37 AM
chaos rapier still hitting good on BS ....
#6_MoonlightPosted 2/26/2013 7:53:50 AM(edited)
Drago77 posted...
They haven't been good since the 1.05 patch, now they are pretty terrible unless you're doing a low level playthrough. That's the one and only way to use elementals.

Wrong. Elemental weapons are completely fine, they just aren't solidly better than scaling weapons anymore. This is due to elemental weapons getting a nerf *and* scaling weapons getting a buff

For reference (and I used one of the most popular weapons, though I admit it doesn't scale too well):
http://mmdks.com/19nz

Here is another popular weapon that scales very well:
http://mmdks.com/19o4

I was even generous and gave the character 40 str and 40 dex, which probably wont be the case. As you can see, the AR of all weapons are quite similar. Yes, split defenses exist, and you can buff a normal +15 weapon, but that doesn't make elemental weapons "pretty terrible"; they are still good. Both are good in different situations.

That said, at your 'goal stats', the +15 weapon will probably be mostly better because you can buff it, and at goal stats it will already have a very high AR
---
I mean even if you could connect those dots, which I don't think you can, what kind of picture would you really draw?
#7WATAUGACJPosted 2/26/2013 7:59:14 AM
_Moonlight posted...
Drago77 posted...
They haven't been good since the 1.05 patch, now they are pretty terrible unless you're doing a low level playthrough. That's the one and only way to use elementals.

Wrong. Elemental weapons are completely fine, they just aren't solidly better than scaling weapons anymore. This is due to elemental weapons getting a nerf *and* scaling weapons getting a buff

For reference (and I used one of the most popular weapons, though I admit it doesn't scale too well):

I was even generous and gave the character 40 str and 40 dex, which probably wont be the case. As you can see, the AR of all weapons are quite similar. Yes, split defenses exist, and you can buff a normal +15 weapon, but that doesn't make elemental weapons "pretty terrible"; they are still good. Both are good in different situations.

That said, at your 'goal stats', the +15 weapon will probably be mostly better because you can buff it, and at goal stats it will already have a very high AR

Split damage is what makes them terrible. The only way elementals come close to +15s is on backstabs and ripostes. The regular attacks are going to do significantly less damage due to the split.
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena
#8Arc166Posted 2/26/2013 8:07:19 AM
They're awesome if your idea of fun is boosting vitality to insane levels and using quick weps no one at that point has resistance for.
#9Drago77Posted 2/26/2013 8:07:52 AM
_Moonlight posted...
Drago77 posted...

You must be new here, the whole AR vs actual damage debate was laid to rest over a year ago, and with the 1.06 patch its skewed even more in favor of the normal upgrade path.
---
www.youtube.com/ivandrago2k
PSN:Halle_Berry
#10_MoonlightPosted 2/26/2013 8:20:05 AM(edited)
Drago77 posted...

You must be new here, the whole AR vs actual damage debate was laid to rest over a year ago, and with the 1.06 patch its skewed even more in favor of the normal upgrade path.

Yes, I'm aware. I was just trying to revoke your statement, for the OP, that they are "pretty terrible". He mentioned wanting to make them elemental to "get through the game". I have no idea what OP's experience with the game was, but he didn't sound like he was trying to min/max the **** out of his character for endgame pvp; it sounded like he was about to play this game again, after a long absence, and wanted to know if elemental weapons are an ok way to do it. They are fine for a playthrough where he'd probably want to raise vit/end first anyway.

I apologize if I've read the situation incorrectly. I still stand by what I said in my post. I even said that +15 would be better (probably, because I don't know what his goal stats are), and that both are good in different situations. You guys are the one who put this into a high end pvp/pve context.
---
I mean even if you could connect those dots, which I don't think you can, what kind of picture would you really draw?