PvE topic about DLC. Which dex weapons to use on stone Guardians?

#1dozingdevilPosted 3/8/2013 1:29:21 AM
They have all these insanely high resistances that just seems to really screw over Dex users. I mean sure speed is great, but the damage output is so low. It is one of few times Strength builds just 1 hit something a dex build can't just 2 or 3 hit.

I hate feeling like I'm **** weak against the DLC enemies (considering the low soul pay outs anyway) and it bugs me.

What weapon would I benefit from more? atm I only have a 16/14 split, using elementals with 50 vit, 40 endurance, and on the way to 30 faith.
---
PSN: Swordsaintscoot/ IronShadowDragon
#2Chao_YunPosted 3/8/2013 1:48:44 AM(edited)
I cleared all the scarecrows first, then used my bow and the fog ring. Their ground attack hits for big damage and has a large AOE. Also, there is a blue slab in a chest in a pond that the walkthrus and the wiki don't mention (last time I checked).
---
Forest trees are greener.
#3SamatagPosted 3/8/2013 2:59:40 AM
Try the halberd type Scythe? That's a dex weapon and has a high base damage so will work well for an elemental until you level dex a bit more
#4HeavensEndPosted 3/8/2013 3:16:21 AM
Murakumo wrecks em pretty good.
---
PSN: DyingDreams
A gamer is just that, regardless of gender
#5dozingdevil(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:17:30 AM
HeavensEnd posted...

I said dex. Murakumo is quality, by the time you factor in how much str you need to actually wield it.
---
#6dozingdevil(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:19:29 AM
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/stone-guardian

just look at those resistances, a vit/endurance gouged dex build is really not suited to taking them on in a reasonable time frame.

Resistances

High resistance to Slash, Thrust, Fire and Lightning damage.
Immune to Bleed and Poison.

Weakness

Vulnerability to Strike-type physical attacks.
If you have a very hard hitting weapon, they will stagger.

I couldn't find a single dex weapon that doesn't deal slash, or deals strike.
---
#7HeavensEndPosted 3/8/2013 3:22:55 AM
dozingdevil posted...
HeavensEnd posted...

I said dex. Murakumo is quality, by the time you factor in how much str you need to actually wield it.

By this logic the the balder side sword and great scythe are quality weapons. No Murakumo is a dex weapon with a ridiculous str requirement. Anything that scales B or A in dex is a dex weapon.
---
PSN: DyingDreams
A gamer is just that, regardless of gender
#8dozingdevil(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:26:00 AM
HeavensEnd posted...
dozingdevil posted...
HeavensEnd posted...

By this logic the the balder side sword and great scythe are quality weapons. No Murakumo is a dex weapon with a ridiculous str requirement. Anything that scales B or A in dex is a dex weapon.

Given that 'quality' is really just term coined by the players in Dark souls (i am fully aware quality in demons souls) I'll disagree with you on that.

It may not scale well with strength, but to use it effectively ( or at all) a quality stat distribution is required.

A BSS and Great Scythe are dex build friendly with their relatively low, or basically non-existenet strength requirements.

I personally feel the Murakumos requirements earns it a place in the quality pile/
---
#9The moonlight knightPosted 3/8/2013 3:27:08 AM
I wish someone with the PC version would get us what their defense values are exactly. Would be nice to know if slash is a particularly high defense, or is it about even with the normal and thrust defenses, too.

Anyhoo, great scythe R2s might have a chance at doing respectable damage since they're pretty powerful. Might also want to consider Flamberge. Or Scythe like someone else said though I think you'd be better off with Great Scythe's R2s. Gargoyle Tail Axe might work well. It's pretty powerful and decently fast so long as you keep connecting with good hits, so if you're good at meleeing them and taking big openings, you can sorta just chop at them and probably stun them, so you can hit them even more.

But, unless you're strictly deadset on using only dex weapons, I'd say just get a lightning reinforced club or something to bash these jerks in.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#10dozingdevil(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:28:35 AM
Past that though, I don't have the strength for the murakumo (16 atm) I've got something closer to 20 dex now after farming dragon scales for the torso stone from drakes (it's really not that bad guys)

i'm thinking of a lightning claymore tbh. Not sure if regular or lightning would be better though given the lightning resistances, despite the relatively low stats.

I hate feeling so weak. Needs respec option so I use a god dang str build through the royal wood. =/
---