Thinking about buying this game.

#1WillOfTheDPosted 3/13/2013 7:36:33 PM
so as the title says i've been thinking of buying this game, i really love rpgs pretty much the only type of games i play but most of the time i find them too easy beat skyrim on master, Dragon's dogma on hard mode, i could go on but yea. so from your experiences that you've had with this game can you tell me the pro and cons. i usually play melee based characters like knights or warriors and only use magic to heal if i have any but try not to. i also like open world like being able to go anywhere.
---
PSN-linebacker777
#2Arc166Posted 3/13/2013 7:43:28 PM
Pro's:
Atmosphere.

Online interaction.

Lots of secrets.

Lots to do.

Blah blah blah it's fun I can't be bothered listing more.

Cons:
Story is very minimalistic, and while this is my preference, it's could annoy RPG fans. If you liked Dragon's Dogma's it'll be fine.

Online interaction. Only listing this because the current hacking scandal.

Game expects you to jump through a lot of hoops for some things.

Can **** up your game easily; here's how not to: Don't kill NPC's.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

It's fun.
#3JiggityjaxPosted 3/13/2013 7:44:59 PM
It's not open world in a traditional western sense, more like a metroid style open world, with pieces of the world cleverly interlocking as you progress.

It is quite difficult at first, but once you get over the hump it is not frustratingly difficult.

One of the main draws here is the PVP, which is pretty unique: Any time you are online you can be invaded by someone of a similar level. You and said invader will duke it out, with the winner getting "souls", the games currency

There are plenty of different ways to play, especially for warrior types, so you are good on that front.

I immensely enjoyed both the games you mentioned, as well as this Dark Souls

Plus the board is really active(although not the cuddliest) and usually helpful
---
THIS PLANE IS DEFINITELY CRASHING
#4Arc166Posted 3/13/2013 7:47:08 PM
(although not the cuddliest)

****. You.

We are cuddly as ****.

Literally.

Go take a ****.

Now cuddle it.

That's what it's like to cuddle us.
#5Cvdf3Posted 3/13/2013 7:47:48 PM
Game is set up kind of like a Metoid-ish game (linear but open at the same time) so technically it is an open world but there are no sprawling fields or anything like that.

Combat is skill based as opposed to stat based; granted it is not a highly technical game or anything but stats won't mean much if you can't play still.
It is very geared towards towards melee combat, magic tends to take more of a support role, with the premise that you learn your weapons moveset and your enemies attack pattern to win.

Healing is handled with potions called Estus Flasks that you get a set amount of and they refill at each checkpoint (or anytime you die). Meaning your heals are limited but you won't ever have to farm for more or anything and you can't abuse a pile of 99 potions.

There are bonfires that act as checkpoints (as I mentioned) and each time you rest at one or you die and are sent back to one, all of the enemies respawn (with a few exceptions like bosses).
Enemies drop Souls. Souls are your currency AND experience points (you must choose how and when to spend them).
If you die your souls collected will be on your bloodstain where you died and you must make it back to them to collect them again. However you can only have one bloodstain at a time; meaning if you die again without retrieving your souls they are gone forever.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#6R1masherPosted 3/13/2013 7:48:19 PM
Pro: I'm playing it
Con: I'm playing it
---
R1R1R1R1R1R1
#7WillOfTheD(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 7:53:03 PM
Jiggityjax posted...
One of the main draws here is the PVP, which is pretty unique: Any time you are online you can be invaded by someone of a similar level. You and said invader will duke it out, with the winner getting "souls", the games currency

what do you mean by invader? like someone else that is playing the game could randomly appear to fight a boss and when said boss is killed we will have to fight to see who gets the loot?
---
PSN-linebacker777
#8JiggityjaxPosted 3/13/2013 7:55:28 PM
Arc166 posted...
(although not the cuddliest)

****. You.

We are cuddly as ****.

Literally.

Go take a ****.

Now cuddle it.

That's what it's like to cuddle us.

You made TMK suicide(where has he been?), I think that at least qualifies as "not the cuddliest"

Also have you been to the Dragon's Dogma board? It's like an overly friendly cult.
---
#9JiggityjaxPosted 3/13/2013 7:57:07 PM
WillOfTheD posted...
Jiggityjax posted...

what do you mean by invader? like someone else that is playing the game could randomly appear to fight a boss and when said boss is killed we will have to fight to see who gets the loot?

No, invaders only fight you, and not during boss fights or any cleared area. They only appear in areas where the boss hasn't been killed, or is not currently being fought.
---
#10Arc166Posted 3/13/2013 7:58:25 PM
No. They appear during the level. Then they attempt to kill you.

You need to be human for this to happen, which requires humanity, gained either via a relatively rare item outside of certain grind spots or rewarded when you help someone else kill a boss.

If they kill you, you get sent back to the last bonfire (checkpoints), no longer human, and all the souls (combined money and exp) and held humanity (appears in the corner, gained when using humanity items or killing bosses in co-op, and is what is used to become human) is lost. You can get it back by going back to where you died without dying again.

If you kill them, they're sent back to the bonfire, but aren't killed. They lose all humanity and souls, but likely invaded from a bonfire, so just pick it back up.

That's the jist of it.

Human form is also required to summon allies. It's a risk-reward thing for the host.