Armor defense should be lowered and work like shields

#1Arc166Posted 3/19/2013 4:18:05 PM(edited)
So if you have 20 physical defense it removes 20% physical damage

I just want defense that, ya know, works

Or that actually scales enough to keep up with the offense

Very toughest armor should be like 50%.

If you're in full Havel's, you should be able to take a lot more hits than the naked dude next to you. Not 1 more if even that.
#2TILlegion777Posted 3/19/2013 4:26:04 PM
Doesn't really make sense that the armor stops all damage the same though. A Katana and a Greatsword wont be stopped equally be a piece of chainmail. It's going to be a lot more effective on the Kat. In your scenario though, it actually lessens the Greatsword impact more. Kinda nonsensical. Mind you, there's a similar argument there for shields, but I ignore that because all shield block 100% physical in my eyes.

In addition, the entire way damage is calculated would have to be changed. As it is, that number that defense gives you kind of needs to be a set number. If you change it to a percentage, all the damage formulas go all screwy which means that the entire game has to be completely redesigned combat wise to work with it.

So in short, I would disagree.
---
Yeah, I'm that idiot with the stupid signature. Fat-roll Kirk is the only true build.
Official Longsword of the Dark Souls boards
#3Parsl5kPosted 3/19/2013 4:27:54 PM
Gotta give light armor a perk too. Something like increased damage dealt. 30% increase if you're naked~
#4Arc166(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 4:28:58 PM(edited)
I don't care how much it sense it makes lol. This is a game where my immortal, soul eating, fire spitting man beats up everything so I can kill a blind old man and light a fire. Making sense isn't an issue I'd think.

And damage calculation being changed is what this topic is about lol.

But it's fine if you disagree.

Parsl5k posted...
Gotta give light armor a perk too. Something like increased damage dealt. 30% increase if you're naked~

They are light.

That is the perk.
#5GrowshroomPosted 3/19/2013 4:37:19 PM(edited)
Ideally every weapon/weapon type should deal different degrees of both damage and stun depending on the type of armor the target is wearing.

E.G.: katanas will deal great damage against and moderately flinch cloth armor users, but will do low damage to and hardly flinch plate armor users; maces and other blunt weaponry will deal less damage and flinch to cloth armor, but increased damage and stun to plate armor.

Problem is that this would be complicated and require lots of effort, and therefore it is unlikely that From will do it.
---
+50 HP
Shoot the mask to hear more
#6Arc166(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 4:45:04 PM
So they should go with my awesome idea instead

If it's physical, physical defense handles it

Lightning for lightning

And so on

Would be easy and would actually GODDAMN WORK for once

Also add more armor which resists lightning
#7TILlegion777Posted 3/19/2013 4:56:15 PM
Growshroom posted...
Ideally every weapon/weapon type should deal different degrees of both damage and stun depending on the type of armor the target is wearing.

E.G.: katanas will deal great damage against and moderately flinch cloth armor users, but will do low damage to and hardly flinch plate armor users; maces and other blunt weaponry will deal less damage and flinch to cloth armor, but increased damage and stun to plate armor.

Problem is that this would be complicated and require lots of effort, and therefore it is unlikely that From will do it.

We actually already have this, it just isn't significant for anyone to notice it. If you look at it, every weapon has a different damage type, and armors have different defenses for all of them. However they're so close it barely changes anything in practice.
---
Yeah, I'm that idiot with the stupid signature. Fat-roll Kirk is the only true build.
Official Longsword of the Dark Souls boards
#8Parsl5kPosted 3/19/2013 6:04:02 PM
Arc166 posted...

Parsl5k posted...

They are light.

That is the perk.

It's not enough if you make heavy armor that good.
#9Arc166(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 1:24:43 AM
Raising attack for being naked would make raising defense for being heavy pointless in PVP.

They'd effectively cancel each other out.

Also don't think this'd even be all that good. You move so goddamn slow in heavy armor you may aswell just wear a sign saying ''free hits!''