Anyone up for an Artorias and Gough/Ciaran co-op run?

#1Phantom0708Posted 3/20/2013 6:08:18 PM
New Game + of course so we start out with our equipment

Twould be fun
I already have an Arty build in New Game + so my body is ready
---
GT: Devilwillcry42 PSN: Raidoukuzunoha42
My name is Kanji Tatsumi, you said I like dudes, prepare to die.
#2brandonfordPosted 3/20/2013 6:24:27 PM
What SL?

I think I could do Ciaran.

You could throw Ornstein in there as well.
---
PSN Odinson31
#3-Jester-Masque-Posted 3/21/2013 1:18:42 AM
I'm glad to see that other people are actively trying to play this game cooperatively. My experience with this has been mostly pretty disappointing though.

I got this game after watching my friend play a bunch of it. I'm not normally into RPGs, but the medieval/horror style reminded me of the manga, Berserk, which I was reading for the first time.

Neither of us knew how difficult it would be to play the game together until we tried it. It was quite a while ago, but I remember it requiring us to both be standing in the same place in the game; one of us writing a mark on the ground and the other one waiting and hoping for it to appear. Once we got it to work, it was fun as hell. But then one of us would die and the process had to be repeated. Or worse, somebody would invade and destroy us both, again forcing us to spent another 10-20 minutes connecting.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm curious to know if you guys have had this problem. And what would you think of a more traditional co-op experience for Dark Souls II?
#4altrichPosted 3/21/2013 1:54:26 AM
-Jester-Masque- posted...
I'm glad to see that other people are actively trying to play this game cooperatively. My experience with this has been mostly pretty disappointing though.

I got this game after watching my friend play a bunch of it. I'm not normally into RPGs, but the medieval/horror style reminded me of the manga, Berserk, which I was reading for the first time.

Neither of us knew how difficult it would be to play the game together until we tried it. It was quite a while ago, but I remember it requiring us to both be standing in the same place in the game; one of us writing a mark on the ground and the other one waiting and hoping for it to appear. Once we got it to work, it was fun as hell. But then one of us would die and the process had to be repeated. Or worse, somebody would invade and destroy us both, again forcing us to spent another 10-20 minutes connecting.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm curious to know if you guys have had this problem. And what would you think of a more traditional co-op experience for Dark Souls II?

interesting, I rarely find a phantom that is a liability and likewise if I choose to help someone I'll make sure i know the area inside out before getting summoned (unless you co-oping for kalameet, anything that can go wrong will probably go wrong..)
---
total return swap against libor +165 bps. what do?
#5AIreadylnUsePosted 3/21/2013 2:03:42 AM

That's about all you can do, it's pretty hard to intentionally coop with someone in Dark Souls... at least compared to most games. Your best bet is to have him put his sign down somewhere remote within the level, this minimizes the chance someone else will summon him before you see his sign. Even then you have to keep reapplying the sign every couple minutes until you're both on the same server, or at least that's the answer I read at some point.

I remember seeing a summon sign for the first time in my SL1 run some way through Anor Londo and I just had to grab it because what the hell, it's someone else doing a SL1 run. Eventually I sent him home (I wanted to do S&O alone and needed the bonfire after the archers) and he said he was looking for some help with S&O. It took 25 minutes of attempts for him to successfully summon me despite being the only people even close to that level in that area... I really hope they fix the match making in DkSII.
#6ninjaryuninjaPosted 3/21/2013 2:12:15 AM
I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed to automatically summon people on your friends list. To make it fair (so you don't have people flying out of the woodwork when you invade) just set it so that you can only invite at a bonfire. Keep the traditional summoning style for random people as well, and you have a pretty decent co-op system.

Seriously, think about it. You and your buddy are playing, he offers to join your game. You plop down at the bonfire and select "Summon Ally" and choose your friend. He gets a "Aid ally in battling darkness?" prompt with "Yes" "No" and "Ignore for 5 minutes" options. The last one in case you're busy. Then you leave the bonfire and get a big ol' "SUMMONING KINDRED SPIRIT" message, and boom, your friend is there. If he dies, charge back to the fire.

The only people I can see this hurting are the ones who happen to be invading your buddy when you're summoning him. Seriously, tell me what's wrong with this, I want to know.
#7-Jester-Masque-Posted 3/21/2013 2:14:35 AM
Haha yeah, I remember we were seeking out little out-of-view nooks and crannies to put our sign down. We managed to actually do the two gargoyle bosses together, and even though we had to use the phone to communicate, it was incredibly fun. If they make it easy to play with a friend (even if it's just one) online in the sequel, I'll be very, very happy.

For the record, I pretty much never play multiplayer games. No MMORPGs, no online FPSs, nothing like that. Dark Souls is a rare exception in that I think I might enjoy it better with a friend.
#8baronofsynPosted 3/21/2013 2:40:01 AM
Sign me up. What SL? What night do you want to start?
#9VidmorPosted 3/21/2013 2:54:11 AM
That's honestly a pretty good co op idea. As I understand it, the developers wanted the player interactions to be random and fleeting. Though, with a little work, you can link up with friends, so it's somewhat ineffective. It only slows down the game for people that really want to pair up with friends.

Any issue of balance in terms of a group of friends teaming up to gank is moot, since there's always an army of clowns available to that end. So yeah, I think it wouldn't hurt to make the friends list actually accessible. That's the one thing that has kept some of my friends at bay, since the viability of linking up with each other is limited.
#10dantedeschain13Posted 3/21/2013 4:27:41 AM
My PVP build is a Ciaran one, so hit me up. PSN W-Lrd_GreyWolf, SL 128. If we are going legit, no more miracles I guess :P