Should i start Dark souls first or Demons souls?

#1155PPPosted 3/21/2013 7:53:41 PM
^ that sounds amazing. how comparatively broken is the pvp in DeS
#12AIreadylnUsePosted 3/21/2013 8:16:59 PM
tmyakal posted...
Demons is a tighter, more controlled game. There are fewer opportunities to stockpile good gear earlier on and fewer opportunities to seek the most "do-able" area. As a result, it ends up feeling much, much more difficult. Even as a Dark Souls veteran, I'm afraid to revisit Demons' Souls. As such, for the horror of the experience, I would suggest playing Demons first.

Path of least resistance... I'd have to disagree. Demon's gives you the awesome choice of choosing where you want to begin and every first stage is pretty doable. 4-1 is a bit of a stretch, but they toss you a weapon good enough to beat the game with on your first playthrough in 4-1 so it kind of balances out.

In Dark Souls you are hedged up Undead Burg. The other three paths are not only nearly impossible to progress through with staring equipment, but two of them are dead ends as far as plot progression goes. ToG and NLR are both complete dead ends, and Blighttown you have to have master key to reach from the get go.

To TC, I'd also recommend starting with DeS. I feel it's a lot more atmospheric and a fair bit easier too. It's a good starting place for the series. It will make you hate DkS roll though.
#13Oni_TatsujinPosted 3/21/2013 11:51:40 PM
You'll have an easy time transitioning from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

You'll have a difficult time transitioning from Dark Souls to Demon's Souls.
---
The SAFE was slain in battle. A great flaming nautical pyre carries it off to VAULTHALLA.
www.youtube.com/user/Terrafuror - Gimme a view, sweet cheeks ;)
#14LodissPosted 3/28/2013 5:11:08 AM
Oni_Tatsujin posted...

Not true at all. Sorry.
---
You were indicted
#15Isaac_RedfieldPosted 3/28/2013 7:07:14 AM(edited)
theSMF posted...
Play Demon's. If anything, It'll warm you up for Dark.

Dark Souls is much easier than Demon's though. So it's kind of the opposite of that.

Lodiss posted...
Oni_Tatsujin posted...

Not true at all. Sorry.

Yeah actually it is. Dark Souls is so much easier than Demon's on almost every possible level. It also only has two bosses that even come remotely close to what you have to fight in Demon's. The campfires and being able to carry around 10-20 flasks (upgraded) alone make it comparatively easymode. Playing Dark first might give you an idea what to expect, but that's about all it will give you.

Regardless, I think Demon's is the better game and it should be played first, even though going Dark > Demon's is the path of least resistance.
#16TwStedPrinCePosted 3/28/2013 8:05:43 AM
Play demons souls and use straight swords to see how much better they were moveset wise. I miss the fluid way you held and swung the longswords.
---
PSN - TwistedPrince
#17New-Dusk117Posted 3/28/2013 8:19:15 AM
Dark Souls is easier? Haha, no. I've gone back to demon's a few times just to crush NG in two days. It takes me at least a week to beat dark souls due to A: wanting to find everything and B: holy crap invaders are bad people, especially when they let some dude with a chaos gargoyle halberd and full havel's invade me when I'm level 27. Stupid forest.
---
Rolling around in light armor makes me a happy Duskeh
#18bdavis93Posted 3/28/2013 8:27:22 AM
My opinion of the games are as follows:

Like a good sequel should be, Dark Souls is a more well-rounded game. Cast numbers work better for the types of levels present in the game than easy MP with a million old spice, the worst parts of dark souls(blighttown swamp) were not as terrible as the worst parts of demon's souls(5-2 swamp), and dark souls has a well-designed world, where the levels twist into each other with many paths you can follow. You don't have to go into undead burg at all, for example.
However, the available upgrade paths in demon's souls were better, as you could take a dex weapon and give it better strength scaling, or vice versa. Contrast to the totally slow weapons only that strength is in dark souls.
Also, the best levels in demon's souls, in my opinion, were better than the best levels in dark souls.

Also worth noting that if you get stuck on the 1-4(demon's souls) boss or on the notorious Fat Executioner and Speedy Dragonslayer(omitting names) boss in Dark Souls, it may benefit you to switch to the other game and practice up on the shared mechanics, becoming more comfortable with gameplay.
#19Isaac_RedfieldPosted 3/28/2013 9:10:38 AM(edited)
New-Dusk117 posted...
Dark Souls is easier? Haha, no. I've gone back to demon's a few times just to crush NG in two days. It takes me at least a week to beat dark souls due to A: wanting to find everything and B: holy crap invaders are bad people, especially when they let some dude with a chaos gargoyle halberd and full havel's invade me when I'm level 27. Stupid forest.

What you just said has absolutely no relevance in regards to the difficulties in PvE between either game. I'm glad that it takes you a week to beat Dark Souls, but item hunting and invaders have nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, the basic enemies in Demon's Souls are also quite a bit more difficult than the majority that you'll find in Dark Souls. Some of the worst enemies are early on too (the T-1000 skeletons). The Red Knights are also kind of like Baldur Knights, except a hell of a lot tougher and more damaging. Archery and magic in general are much more useful, which can make the game somewhat easier due to how you gain your health and mana back, but for melee characters, the game is a lot harder.