Post three pro's and con's about this game

#1OEIO999Posted 3/26/2013 7:39:09 PM(edited)
It may vary from most important to least important. You can also list absolutely nothing in either sections, if you feel it is appropriate. Remember guys this all opinion based, so don't get a hard on.

Pros:
1. Atmosphere - This game is ruthless. For better or worse it fits in perfectly. I like the fact that you can expect to die at any moment and it sets itself up properly by having you forget everything you have learnt in gaming up till now.

2. Difficulty - Few games have I played that I felt the need to constantly block my way forwards, it is unexpected, it is surprising and most importantly, its captivating enough to make you want more. One could argue that it only disallows the functions that makes it easy and that's what makes it difficult. I say the fact, the developers were bold enough to take that step alone shows promise.

3. Visuals - No arguments here. The game is simply breathtaking. From landscape such as castles and valleys, to enemies and bosses. They really put effort into making this game from being more than just a gut-wrenching, death-addictive battle and it shows.

Cons:
1. Battle during conversation/browsing catalouges - I cannot stress enough how i much deplore this setting. I'll sum it up (and not waste too many words) by saying it was a lazy and unforeseeable action implemented by the developers, that mostly backfired. For eg. i had to restart the entire game two times thanks to this feature. Did i take it too far, probably but the problem is still there

2. The combat - This is entirely opinion based (as is whole thing i guess >.>) but the combat i endured throughout this game was not difficult because its challenging (in the conventional sense) but its difficult because of all the minor nuisance that plague it. Clunky controls. biased movements and depth perception. If I were to list a game that had actual difficult combat, it would be either DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden. Both of which held nothing back, you were at your peak capability and for the most part, both you and your enemy are at similar level. If you lost you couldn't fall back to saying that the controls were holding you down, it was simply because the AI was programmed to be a better fighter than you.

3. Story/Plot - I know this has been argued a lot and i understand the PoV of both sides, but IMO the story of this game was still somewhat lacking. Does it hold this game back form meeting its full potential, only slightly but this game can take it. If i had to list anything as a third placement for the flaws of this game, it'd be this. Just think how great (or even greater) this game would be if the story/plot had a greater involvement.

So that's my OPINION. What's yours?
#2GotRadsPosted 3/26/2013 7:41:24 PM
Why do you think I would get a boner?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/thelegendaryp
#3Cvdf3Posted 3/26/2013 7:41:43 PM
I can't disagree with you enough about the combat but you did say opinion so...

Pros:

-Combat

-Atmosphere

-Design

Cons:

-AI

-Farming

-Latency (despite the community becoming quite proficient online)
---
A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.
#4ninjaryuninjaPosted 3/26/2013 7:54:15 PM
+Leveling system (Level each stat, and your XP is money too? Grinding has never been faster! wait...)
+Variety in equipment (I want my fat pants, my rock hat, my biker gloves, and my spikey shirt)
+Extremely creative bosses ( A giant wolf with a giant sword? A crazy lava spewing Drider chick? Sounds creative to me)

-Poor Co-Op (Failed to summon... Failed to summon... Can't find friend's sign...)
-Poor PVP balance (Light and dodgy beats Big and smashy 9/10 times. Backstab bait, anyone?)
-Very static (Not much changes between playthroughs making it harder to be surprised.)
#5OEIO999(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 7:56:06 PM
Cvdf3 posted...

Pros:

-Combat

-Atmosphere

-Design

Cons:

-AI

-Farming

You could explain as to why the combat is good. Perhaps i was being misleading/short-sighted.
#6AIreadylnUsePosted 3/26/2013 8:06:23 PM
Cvdf3 posted...
Pros:

-Combat

-Atmosphere

-Design

Cons:

-AI

-Farming

Assuming level design or general aesthetics were meant by Design then this is pretty close.

As for why combat is good... well it's very locked down. You have your big committing swings, you don't get to glide around your enemies while you attack... you have to be very careful of your stamina, you can't just soak damage. Everything about it is teaching you to be careful, and think before you attack.

It's the polar opposite of action games where it's all about chaining the most damaging combos or dodging at the last second or keeping a combo going. You can't pause, you can't pop an instant heal at any moment, you're always in danger of dieing no matter how many times you kindle or what you're equipped with... and the combat is really satisfying because of it.
#7TheJarvenPosted 3/26/2013 8:08:50 PM
OEIO999 posted...
Cvdf3 posted...

Pros:

-Combat

-Atmosphere

-Design

Cons:

-AI

-Farming

You could explain as to why the combat is good. Perhaps i was being misleading/short-sighted.

Combat is designed to be balanced and fair. It's far from clunky. You can swing, stab and smash in any direction you wish. Depth perception is rarely an issue.

Comparing DMC combat to this game is completely unfair. You need to realize that games like Bayonetta, DMC and GoW are hack'n'slash games whereas this game isn't.
---
I love my asian Girlfriend ;DD
#8Cvdf3Posted 3/26/2013 8:22:36 PM
Let's see if I can explain my thoughts well enough then.

I know a big issue a lot of people have with it is the attack buttons being mapped to the shoulder buttons as opposed to face buttons. For me anyway, this is how I always tried to map games (when given the option) so I guess I have a bit of a biased here.
But, this gives you complete control over the camera (super important when you are unlocked and even at times with lock on) and never having to sacrifice a way to attack or defend yourself. Plus I really like how natural the two shoulders feel when they are simply paired to your character's respective hands.

They are responsive with two exceptions: no stamina (arguably the thing that takes the most getting used to) and input delay. The latter -does- happen at random but from my experience that is -extremely- rare and most of the time it is caused by two other things; button mashing and blocking.
The game essentially queues attacks as you press the button, meaning mashing will leave you vulnerable if you can't dodge because your character is still attacking. The easiest solution is to just attack as you need (or on e you know the game better you can kind of put in attacks and watch :P only good for PvE though).
Now when blocking, I have noticed if you try to heal or something similar your character won't until you put your shield down. This is an admittedly odd design choice but once you notice it, it just becomes another thing to manage.

Rolls are responsive, one you learn the proper timing (read: your iframes) and allow you to avoid any unnecessary damage provided, again, you are managing your stamina properly.

Parries and backstabs work perfect after you know the timing (you can even knock arrows out of the air with a parry) and reward players for playing well.
However going back to my con of terrible AI, this becomes quite exploitable.

Each weapon class plays differently (and even most weapons vary within each class). This creates tons of replay value and when coupled with PvP you realize just how many nuances the simplistic combat system has.
The sheer variety in playstyles has kept me coming back to this game solely for it's gameplay. When coupled with the responsiveness of the controls it really shines through as one of the best parts in the game.
---
A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.
#9ratt80Posted 3/26/2013 8:27:28 PM
Pros
1) art direction
2) difficulty curve
3 replay value

Cons
1)trying to pretend pvp is actually good
2) lost izalith
3) the arena
#10acangialPosted 3/26/2013 8:38:31 PM
Pro
1. True 3d successor to Castlevania SOTN
2. Most comprehensive Action RPG of all time
3. Despite lag, gankers and griefers; best online game ever

Cons, only 2:
1. Mosquitos that are more annoying than half life head crabs, and that is saying a lot.
2. Anor Londo archers, pure evil.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man