very difficult game for me to get into

#1necroniumPosted 3/27/2013 2:04:40 PM
After spending the longest time in undead burg, i got tired of trying to kill the the hammer guy and went ahead and rushed to the top just to get slaughtered by the taurus demon. I know im not normally a patient person but this game seems to have a high learning curve.

Any tips for me? Ive been practicing my riposting and have killed the large knight albeit with my pyromancy from an elevated space.
---
PSN: Necronium-X
Monster hunter tri: Biske T6MTXH
#2Mr_BankercatPosted 3/27/2013 2:06:46 PM
necronium posted...

albeit with my pyromancy from an elevated space.

Lolwut
#3TheOneWifABigButtPosted 3/27/2013 2:07:45 PM
level up your endurance
#4boodgenuminusPosted 3/27/2013 2:08:09 PM
Do a plunging attack into Taurus Demon's face.

Roll a lot.

Upgrade your weapons as much/as soon as possible.

Hot tip: when you're fighting a giant type of enemy (like the Taurus Demon, or later the Iron Golem) hang out as close to their nutsack as possible. This generally keeps you safe from being hit.
#5necronium(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 2:11:12 PM
i ran back up to the ladder behind the tower and threw fireballs at him. I am like level 11 or 12 now and have been upgrading my stamina and health mostly. I havent found a way to upgrade my weapons yet. Should i bother with buying the armor from the merchant?
---
#6boodgenuminusPosted 3/27/2013 2:12:19 PM
don't worry too much about that armor. and you'll find a blacksmith soon enough.
#7LutecatPosted 3/27/2013 2:23:04 PM
necronium posted...
i ran back up to the ladder behind the tower and threw fireballs at him. I am like level 11 or 12 now and have been upgrading my stamina and health mostly. I havent found a way to upgrade my weapons yet. Should i bother with buying the armor from the merchant?

Did you pick the master key as a starting gift? If so, a door should have led you to 3 resins that will allow you to enchant your weapon with lightning on use. Once you get to the taurus demon area, try going up to the top of the tower and killing the archers. Then, go halfway across the bridge before he spawns and use a resin on your weapon before spawning him. Run back to the tower, climb the ladder, 2hand your weapon, then plunge attack onto his head before just 2hand attacking him to death. If you've got a weapon worse than a long sword, you could climb up and plunge attack, but that'll generally kill him before he can do anything to you.

If you didn't pick the master key, same tactic still works, you'll just do less damage and newbies will probably want to climb the ladder and stab his head again.

Upgrading weapons can be done at the blacksmith down the stairs from Firelink near New Londo, but that's kinda out of the way and a more visible and convenient blacksmith will come after the Taurus Demon near a church.
#8necronium(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 2:29:23 PM
Lutecat posted...
necronium posted...

Did you pick the master key as a starting gift? If so, a door should have led you to 3 resins that will allow you to enchant your weapon with lightning on use. Once you get to the taurus demon area, try going up to the top of the tower and killing the archers. Then, go halfway across the bridge before he spawns and use a resin on your weapon before spawning him. Run back to the tower, climb the ladder, 2hand your weapon, then plunge attack onto his head before just 2hand attacking him to death. If you've got a weapon worse than a long sword, you could climb up and plunge attack, but that'll generally kill him before he can do anything to you.

If you didn't pick the master key, same tactic still works, you'll just do less damage and newbies will probably want to climb the ladder and stab his head again.

Upgrading weapons can be done at the blacksmith down the stairs from Firelink near New Londo, but that's kinda out of the way and a more visible and convenient blacksmith will come after the Taurus Demon near a church.

i did in fact get th ekey as it seemed the most useful, but i havent found that door. i will look for it. And i did notice that the archers were what killed me. Thanks ill try again here in a few. is the learning curver fore this game high or am i just bad?
---
#9LutecatPosted 3/27/2013 2:36:44 PM
necronium posted...
is the learning curver fore this game high or am i just bad?

I can't make a judgment on whether you're bad or not since I haven't seen you play, sorry. :P

I will say that the learning curve is higher than normal for Dark Souls if you're used to playing other games, especially more recent action games. You want to take things more slowly than normal, and take your time to look around and prepare for stuff, if you're a normal person starting out. Explore, use items if you need to, even stuff like throwing knives. They don't do much damage, but they can pull enemies out of groups to come to you to fight one-on-one.

Just stuff like that... you have to take a different approach to the game. It's very satisfying once you get used to it, and it's actually not all that difficult once you realize how things work.