Why is post Anor Londo so... boring?

#1TyrantKnightPosted 3/28/2013 10:56:55 PM
I was loving this game right up until I cleared Anor Londo and acquired the Lordvessel. After that... I lost my desire to play the game. I don't know what happened. I explored New Londo, The Catacombs and the Duke's Archives, but the levels just aren't as good.
---
PSN: Exaccus
GT: EXPLODING VAN
#2AxelLysanderPosted 3/28/2013 10:59:36 PM
because Anor Londo kills every one a little inside
---
PSN:AxelLysander
#3PW360Posted 3/28/2013 11:04:05 PM
I agree. The later parts of the game feel rushed, as if they ran out of time and only finished them a few weeks before release. I thought New Londo and Duke's Archives were okay, nothing special. Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith, however, made me want to pull my hair out at the blatantly bad level design.
---
"High sales: "sales =/= quality"
Low sales: "game flops"" ~terry92126
#4FoaloalPosted 3/28/2013 11:21:07 PM
I thought Duke's was pretty cool, there was getting locked in the prison, the gramophone, the events with Logan, the crystal cave and the field outside.
The bit with patches and Rhea in the ToG was decent too, and I like the area with the pinwheels and baby skeletons.

Overall though, I agree there's a definite decrease in quality of the later areas.
Hopefully they get to take their time with Dark Souls 2, but I wouldn't count on it.
#5CoontemptusPosted 3/28/2013 11:59:54 PM
They lost the nice feeling of interconnectivity the early game had. The nice way shortcuts opened as you progressed. No idea if it was intentional or not.

I think the game would be better served with branches off of firelink. Each branch would have 4-5 main areas internconnected, and you'd have to complete each branch to move on to another. Or perhaps each branch unlocked two others, so you'd always have more open world options on where to go.
---
Sic semper tyrannis
#6Aarosmashguy27Posted 3/29/2013 12:03:31 AM
Because you can't top Anor Lando and the O&S fight.
#7PHoToS999Posted 3/29/2013 12:16:05 AM
Because it was rushed.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
Please sign this petition if you want the bbox glitch in Dark Souls: http://tinyurl.com/9f9gv8y you are our only hope.
#8The moonlight knightPosted 3/29/2013 12:23:23 AM
I think it's because the pacing was deliberately set up in a way where Anor Londo was the mid-game climax, and beyond that you're scattering yourself to every corner of Lordran to finish what you started. You're going to the fringes of areas already explored, into their depths, to deadends. Whereas prior, you were still exploring central areas branching out everywhere.

The areas blocked by the yellow fog were all just final areas basically. But, since they're all split up in different places, they don't have the same buildup Anor Londo has.

They're also meant to be varied and more challenging/treacherous, and I imagine most people's response to that is probably, "WTF I already did the Valley of Defilement place why the god damn bastard hell is my environmental torture not over?!?!" and that's just when they're in Tomb of Giants. When they get to Lost Izalith, well, at that point they're speaking in tongues.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#9xCloudyxPosted 3/29/2013 1:20:17 AM(edited)
I can see where you're coming from but personally Lost Izalith is probably my favorite area of the game. If you are under leveled then you can forget Dukes (Staircase bookroom specifically) but Izalith is gorgeous. A great area to explore and offers challenge to do so. You better not be talking smack about my Izalith!
---
(\ (O_O) /) Praise the sun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O1sH1N6n4
#10SSJPabsPosted 3/29/2013 2:26:15 AM
If all of lost I was like the final stretch before the fog gate, awesome. But it's not, it's covered in eye-searing lava.

TMK is right. The narrative flow dies after AL. I don't look forward to TotG, Lost Izalith or The Duke's Archives. They each have their annoying gimmick. Duke's Archives has the prison, Lost Izalith has that lava and horrible boss, TotG has darkness. New Londo's gimmick is the ghosts but that's not quite as bad for me. New Londo Ruins is the only Lord Soul boss dungeon I don't feel like it's a chore to go to, but that might be because I farm Titanite chunks there so regularly.

Hmm, I wonder how they could have kept up the narrative pace? They did pretty well with DLC Oolacile, I love going there to this day.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.