Why is post Anor Londo so... boring?

#31AIreadylnUsePosted 3/29/2013 11:45:39 AM
Anor Londo is way too massive. So much expanse without anything... that you have to keep crossing if you die. It reminds me of 1-4 in Demon's Souls... you get to Allant the first time and it's amazing taking that rickety old elevator up. Then you realize you have to do that every time you die and it's awful.

I'm a fan of the imprisoned part of Duke's, NLR in general and Catacombs to ToG to a degree. Lost Izalith was just painful though. Huge flat fields of lava, 6 inch tall branches everywhere that your character gets stuck on, a super troll item, some of the easiest/most boring enemies, the all time worst boss, that horrible lava and (well at least prepatch) the monstrous dinobutts.
#32The moonlight knightPosted 3/29/2013 11:53:12 AM(edited)
Arc166 posted...
I do. The first thing they say. I don't talk to them over and over again until they tell me what to do.

I remember key-giver-guy saying if you could meet Arty, you could traverse the Abyss. He didn't mention Sif. He didn't even mention the forest Sif is in. He didn't mention a ring.

Well god forbid people explore. >_>

And Logan tells you about Seath's immortality and how it works.

By the way, isn't that key that opens the shortcut to Sif the Parish blacksmith sells is called Crest of Artorias? Seems like that might be a clue.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#33Arc166Posted 3/29/2013 11:59:43 AM(edited)
Most areas in the game are about your skill vs the enemies, but for these two areas you simply have really weak enemies who if you don't do the right thing you will just die. It's pretty lazy. Not quite as Lazy as Lost Izalath and its no less than 3 repeated bosses, 2 of which are normal enemies, but yea.

I imagine the next game will have more crap like this though, since the DLC added the Silver Pendant, which you may not even be able to find when you get to it (I know I didn't. Had to summon someone else who had the int for 'cast light', because I had no Sunlight Maggot or Skull Lantern). I wouldn't be surprised if people saw the message about light and had no damned idea you can even cause light, if they're not an int build, and therefore didn't give a damn about what Dusk sells.

By the way, isn't that key that opens the shortcut to Sif the Parish blacksmith sells is called Crest of Artorias? Seems like that might be a clue.

They shouldn't have to talk to people over and over again to not be killed off. Especially talking to Logan, who's damned easy to not even notice.
It is.

The key people probably saw and simply thought, ''Wow that's expensive'' and then forgot exists.
#34The moonlight knightPosted 3/29/2013 12:08:08 PM
Well I'm not inclined to fault From for not holding our hand in where we're supposed to go.

I'm glad they often leave it up to us to figure out. That's how I got to have some fun experiences getting thrashed in the Catacombs and New Londo my first time.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#35Arc166Posted 3/29/2013 12:08:57 PM
Then yay for you.
#36YuenkuPosted 3/29/2013 12:18:03 PM
The moonlight knight posted...
Well I'm not inclined to fault From for not holding our hand in where we're supposed to go.

I'm glad they often leave it up to us to figure out. That's how I got to have some fun experiences getting thrashed in the Catacombs and New Londo my first time.

This.

The Soul's series is pretty big on not holding players hands, and letting them figure things out for themselves through trial and error.

If anyones hoping for a glowing marker pointing them where to go, well...best keep a wiki page bookmarked.
---
~**Lolicon Pride**~
#37Dealer-of-DoomPosted 3/29/2013 4:04:28 PM
The playthrough loses steam perhaps from each area being separated. But some are highlights. I enjoy the catacombs and love invading there and in the tomb.
#38LamesyPosted 3/30/2013 5:49:09 AM
Arc166 posted...
They shouldn't have to talk to people over and over again to not be killed off. Especially talking to Logan, who's damned easy to not even notice.

Sorry but I'm on first playthrough, and I'll 100% confirm that Logan tells you about Seath's crystal in his first line of 'Talk' dialogue in Archives. He had even TOLD you that he was GOING to tell you: immediately upon opening his prison, he teases that he'll tell you the secret of Seath immortality. So the player knows he has to find and talk to Logan to follow up.

You're flat out busted on this particular point. Also, being esoteric is basically D Souls stock in trade so it's silly to complain about.
#39Arc166Posted 3/30/2013 6:23:07 AM
On my first run, I didn't even notice Logan.

Lol.

Was busy getting chased by jellyfish things.
#40LodissPosted 3/30/2013 6:52:50 AM
It only feels "rushed" because you're fast traveling in and out of those areas via bonfire warping. If they were more interconnected like the other areas, this wouldn't have been an issue.

That being said, Duke's Archives is my favorite area in the game.
---
You were indicted