Just came back after quitting for over a year, looking for build tips

#1JonnyBigBossPosted 4/6/2013 9:45:14 AM(edited)
I quit a week or two after the game came out because, you guessed it, I got frustrated. I made it to Blighttown but died repeatedly and couldn't stand the low FPS.

I am determined to beat Dark Souls but since I quit so long ago I've forgotten where I was and what I was doing. The one place that I could use help that would be infinitely appreciated is in my character's build. Nothing is quite like making the game harder than it needs to be, right?

So here is how my character is currently built:

Stats
Pyromancer level 32
Vitality - 20
Attunement - 13
Endurance - 24
Strength - 16
Dexterity - 12
Resistance - 12
Intelligence 10
Faith - 8

Equipment
Weapon - Drake Sword / Pyro Flame
Magic - Fireball
Shield - Eagle Shield
Helmet - Fang Boar Helm
Chest - Tattered Cloth Robe
Gloves - Tattered Cloth Manchette
Boots - Black Leather Boots
Ring - Ring of the Evil Eye

Any tips on stats, magic, or gear that you can offer will help me tremendously.
---
www.gamerevolution.com
Steam & Nintendo ID: JonnyBigBoss
#2aneed4peedPosted 4/6/2013 9:46:24 AM
Look up a walkthrough to get through Blighttown.

For your build first you have to tell us what kind of character YOU want. Then we can go about telling you how to achieve that. Cos' otherwise there are s***tons of build possibilities in this game.

One piece of advice I will give however is to start making a weapon +10. Get rid of Drake Sword (it is about time you threw it away anyways) and the Eagle shield (find a smaller shield that has 100% phys block and can parry) and learn to parry attacks and backstab enemies.
---
a knock, a thud, a tiny...zwoosh, where?
Please, call me Aneed [http://i.imgur.com/DDzaw.jpg]
#3JonnyBigBoss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 10:11:37 AM
aneed4peed posted...
Look up a walkthrough to get through Blighttown.

For your build first you have to tell us what kind of character YOU want. Then we can go about telling you how to achieve that. Cos' otherwise there are s***tons of build possibilities in this game.

One piece of advice I will give however is to start making a weapon +10. Get rid of Drake Sword (it is about time you threw it away anyways) and the Eagle shield (find a smaller shield that has 100% phys block and can parry) and learn to parry attacks and backstab enemies.

Honestly, I went Pyro because it was recommended. After using the fireball for a while I can say I don't really like it. It takes forever to throw, doesn't go very far, and doesn't do much damage. I would almost prefer to be a knight.

Where in the world can I get a weapon or shield that's better? The game doesn't make it easy to find!
---
www.gamerevolution.com
#4aneed4peedPosted 4/6/2013 10:28:22 AM
You really need to start upgrading things. Your Pyro flame in particular needs a lot of investment if you want to make it strong (and believe me, it can be very strong).

There will have been a few weapons you might have come across on your way to Blighttown that will do better than the Drake Sword. Halberd (Undead Parish), Zweihander and Winged Spear (Graveyard behind Firelink Shrine), Balder Side Sword (farmed from knights in Parish) and Claymore (Dragon bridge). You could also have bought a few weapons from the blacksmith in Parish and the undead merchant in Undead Burg. Upgrading them to +5 and then +10 after acquiring the Large ember in Depths will strengthen your character.

Shields you might have come across would be the Heater Shield (undead burg merchant), Tower Kite and Caduceus Kite (Parish blacksmight, very very good shields) and the Spider shield (Depths, just above the Giant rat, after a hidden path behind the first butcher). They are all very good shields and better than the Eagle because they block 100% phys damage and they allow you to parry.

Pyro flame of yours can now be upgraded in Firelink shrine by the guy that you saved in Depths.
---
a knock, a thud, a tiny...zwoosh, where?
Please, call me Aneed [http://i.imgur.com/DDzaw.jpg]
#5CoontemptusPosted 4/6/2013 5:15:29 PM
Since you're at 16 STR I assume you're going for a STR build.

The claymore and the zweihander are both available early and they are viable weapons for strength characters throughout the entire game.

The eagle shield should ONLY be used against black knights, capra demons, serpent men (you'll meet them later) and other large enemies. When those enemies hit a great shield (or iron round shield) they stagger. This makes them as easy to kill as a hollow soldier. Any other time you should be using a medium/regular shield. Common choices are the heater shield for its light weight, any of the crest variety shields, or the hollow shield since you find it frequently at the beginning of the game. Very shortly in the game, you'll get some great shields that can block 100% of physical damage, and you should use them any time you aren't planning on parring if you're a strength character. With an upgraded greatshield or the greatshield of artorious, you can easily go toe to toe with many of the games bigger bosses and minibosses without flinching. Even bosses like Sif are completely trivialized with a greatshield, you can EASILY beat him without taking a hit if you have one. Even bigger bosses can be blocked with minimum stamina loss with an upgraded greatshield. And many enemies like capra demons and black knights are brain dead easy to beat if you use one. Highly recommended for STR based characters.
---
Sic semper tyrannis
#6JonnyBigBoss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 7:43:01 PM
Thanks so much for the tips guys. I just beat Quelaag and now I'm back at Firelink Shrine. I'm so addicted again. I'm going to try to get a Zweihander or a Claymore right now. Any tips on what armor I should use? I have the Crimson set on right now.
---
www.gamerevolution.com
#7JonnyBigBoss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 7:52:55 PM
I just got the Heater Shield. Great tip.
---
www.gamerevolution.com
#8JonnyBigBoss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 8:08:02 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9am0ngth3c1oudsPosted 4/6/2013 8:09:24 PM
Pyromancy is strong, but you have to upgrade your Pyromancy flame to be worth it. There's a witch in the swamp at the bottom of Blighttown that sells very powerful Pyromancies.

at 16 Str, you have a lot of weapons at your disposal, particularly worth noting is the Claymore. I upgraded mine to Lightning (you'll get a chance to later in the game) and it has served me very well for a very long time, even in PvP. It's a great balance of speed, power, reach and stamina drain. In my opinion, it's the most balanced weapon in the game.

Dexterity will increase how fast you cast your Pyromancies. Combined with your 16 Str, you'll be able to wield most of the Dexterity based weapons. Worth considering. If you'd rather focus more on Str, stop Dexterity at 18 (all the Black Knight weapons require 18 Dex I believe, and they are some of the best Str weapons in the game).

A few more Attunement slots couldn't hurt. The rest of your points should go into Vitality and Endurance. Health is important, but Stamina is almost MORE important.. in some ways it's like a second Health bar. No stamina means no attacking, rolling, blocking, jumping, running, etc.

More important even than leveling up... UPGRADE YOUR GEAR. It makes a bigger difference faster than leveling does.
---
MShogunH...
So rise up! RIIIISE up children of PlayStation! RISE UP GAMEFAQS! EMBRACE THE WORD OF MIGHTY AM0NGTH3C1LOUDS! HE WHO IS BOTH MAN, AND A TROLL!!
#10am0ngth3c1oudsPosted 4/6/2013 8:14:26 PM
16 Attunement will grant 4 spells slots.. which is plenty for a Pyromancer. This magic is good because it only requires that you upgrade your Pyromancy Flame.. no Intelligence or Faith needed AT ALL.

As far as armor goes.. that's all personal preference. Obviously, lightweight armor allows for faster movement but less defense where heavier armor encumbers your more but provides more damage resistance. One important thing to consider with armor is Poise. Poise determines how easy you are to stagger or not. Lighter armor has less poise than heavier armor.
---
MShogunH...
So rise up! RIIIISE up children of PlayStation! RISE UP GAMEFAQS! EMBRACE THE WORD OF MIGHTY AM0NGTH3C1LOUDS! HE WHO IS BOTH MAN, AND A TROLL!!