Which one is harder, Dark Souls or Demon's Souls in your honest opinion

#1UnknownWinPosted 4/9/2013 4:09:40 AM
Or they are equally hard?
#2Hero_DunbanPosted 4/9/2013 4:10:49 AM
Honestly, I find Demon's a lot more difficult. And I played it after Dark, too. Go figure.
---
"i can't think of any instance i've found an R2 more useful than an R1 in pve." - liampancakes, eminent Dark Souls PvE master.
#3Arc166Posted 4/9/2013 4:13:05 AM
Eh, Dark was except for the final part of world 1 in Demon's.

Accidentally made it pure black.
#4__Featurez__Posted 4/9/2013 4:13:30 AM
Demon
#5Biggest_BossPosted 4/9/2013 4:18:59 AM
Demon's is harder by a bit, only because tanking was not an option (armor was pretty much useless).

However, you had better build setups (pure STR or DEX builds, BBS, mage etc) in Demon's Souls which made much of the game simple.
---
PSN: Sleeq
#6bdavis93Posted 4/9/2013 4:27:16 AM
Half of DeS is stupidly easier and half of DeS is stupidly harder.
The harder half is Flamelurker, Adjucator, old Hero, Maneaters, False King Allant(1-4 boss), getting through 5-2, and getting through 4-1 and 4-2.
The easier half is just about everything else.

The most enjoyable parts of DeS are more enjoyable than the most enjoyable parts of DaS, but the worst parts of DeS are also worse than the worst parts of DaS.

Overall, DaS is probably the better game.
However, it would be even better if the more varied smithing trees and some sort of bonus for human form were brought back in DaS 2.

Also, DaS is probably easier, and I even played that one first. This is because of 5-2 and some of the stupid bosses in DeS.
#7The moonlight knightPosted 4/9/2013 4:32:04 AM(edited)
Dark Souls.

Demon's Souls does a lot of things that are just... Like, well, I'm going to ignore world tendency, and gravelord, because they're kinda wonky, even though I think all things considered Dark Souls still comes out as more difficult between these things.

Now, Demon's Souls has MP, and grass. So, healing a lot, and casting a lot of spells is easier. MP regen is also available, as is HP regen, much better than it is in Dark Souls.

Bleed is far more dangerous in Dark Souls. While poison has less bite than it did in Demon's Souls, halving healing item power in Demon's was somewhat undercut by stocking up on healing grass anyway. Further, Dark's equivalent to plague: toxic, is actually quite a bit more used than plague was, and that is pretty nasty. In fact, most people's introduction to toxic, will occur out of seemingly nowhere, and before they have any blooming purple moss clumps, unless they braved the titanite demon or ran by it and got lucky in darkroot, or decided to fork over 1000 souls earlier for an item they had no idea when they'd need.

In general, there's a far greater variety of enemies, and this translates to having to get used to more enemies before you have a handle on things.

Those enemies also have a far greater sample of attacks and behaviors, furthering the difficulty of mastering each foe.

There are unblockable grapple attacks some enemies have. On top of being very damaging, these introduce an element that makes hiding behind a shield less safe.

Lightning damage introduces an added element of difficulty, as it's another damage type you have to consider when choosing a shield.

Demon's Souls has a 100% magic block shield. In Dark Souls, there is NO shield that blocks 100% of anything other than physical.

Firestorm in Demon's Souls could rapidly hit enemies with multiple pillars; this was changed in Dark Souls to prevent fire pillar pinball destroying foes and torching bosses. Firespray is basically Fire Surge, but long range, so that's better. Fireball was longer range, too. Warding gave ridiculous physical defense like what Iron Flesh used to do, was never nerfed AND it didn't hinder movement or add a weakness to another damage type!

Second Chance. 'nuff said.

Many more enemies in Dark Souls are capable of parrying you, including some you will encounter early on. In addition, basically EVERY enemy can do an evasive move, whereas this was pretty much unheard of in Demon's Souls. So enemies are far more agile.

In Demon's Souls, you had fast roll/movement so long as you stayed under 50% equip burden, in Dark it's 25%. That's pretty rough.

Demon's Souls gave you a medium to cast both spells and miracles, while in Dark not only is there nothing like that, but now spells are further divided between 3 types.

You could do extra damage just by being in soul form.

Dark has more bosses that pit you against multiple foes; Maneaters was infamous for being one of the hardest Demon's bosses because of there being 2, and the crappy stage you fought them on.

Demon's Souls had crazy weapons like Dragon Bone Smasher and ultra great weapons in general were far stronger, sending foes flying easily.

Likely some stuff I forgot.

Now, on the other hand, Dark's lizards respawn, so that's nice. Wrath of the Gods is way better than Demon's equivalent, as is Great Combustion superior to Ignite. Plus there's Dark Bead which is just absurd. Being hollow doesn't halve HP, though from what I recall Demon's was somewhat balanced with the expectation that you'd often not be in body form anyway. The swamp was more unforgiving to movement in Demon's.

...I'm sure there's a bit more for both sides, but overall I think it's largely in Dark Souls' favor regarding changes that made stuff harder.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#8The moonlight knightPosted 4/9/2013 4:30:15 AM
Oh! And I forgot about poise. It's very weird that blue and red eye knights get stunned from any ol' hit. While poise can help the player, too (or sometimes hinder), there's no denying that implementing poise for a large variety of enemies really stands out a lot from how it worked in Demon's Souls.

I mean...think back. You could one-hit-stun Doran with a dagger. o_O
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#9Orange00Posted 4/9/2013 4:40:05 AM
with DLC, dark souls is harder. Otherwise Demon's. Firelurker was ridiculous on my first playthrough, i had all melee-no magic guy in heavy armor with slow rolls.. Great build, i know. But back then i didn't know any better. Also i tried to kill Dragon God in a honest fight (didn't realize it was a puzzle fight)
---
Time Splitters HD Collection!!?? Gears are already in motion, sign the petition!!
#10shadowsofdawnPosted 4/9/2013 5:02:12 AM
Demon's Souls was harder.

Reason is that the game was shorter, so less time to upgrade your stuff and learn the mechanics before getting tossed into battle with something horrible. New players are lulled into a false sense of security when they beat 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 only to then get stuck against Flamelurker, and then getting their ass handed to them if they set foot in world 3,4, or 5.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||