Without poise Armor = Resistance

#1Cvdf3Posted 4/14/2013 6:55:32 PM
Why shouldn't they just improve the poise system instead of removing it entirely?
---
A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.
#2zyrax2301Posted 4/14/2013 6:59:53 PM
Don't forget looks.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3Dex_PyromaniacPosted 4/14/2013 7:55:44 PM
Because poise takes away a lot from the games intensity.

'oh s*** I GOT HIT!'

'oh, nevermind, its alright, Ill just roll out/spam more r1/backstab him while he recovers'

As it is, poise is bad. They SHOULD indeed rework it and then keep the stat itself on armors though, but if its a choice between keeping it as it is or removing it and adding back hyper armor, im all for the second option.
---
Video games always break the fourth wall, theyre like 'Snake, push the SELECT button!' and Snakes probably like 'What the f***!?'
-lordofultima
#4zyrax2301Posted 4/14/2013 7:57:27 PM
It's a pity you weren't around in the heyday of Demon's Souls PvP Dex, you would have liked it.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#5DJ_0000Posted 4/14/2013 8:18:32 PM
Poise conflates some of the issues in the game, if it was simply active during attack/spellcasting animations it would be a lot better balanced. As it is, it's pretty much just a stat that lets you play pretty sloppily with reduced risk of punishment and occasionally tank hits into BS'es.

Honestly I wouldn't mind armour simply becoming resistance like it was in Demon's Souls, it actually just let you wear whatever armour you wanted to use without being totally gimped. The again Demon's Souls armour didn't look as crappy as everything in Dark Souls does.

I don't think poise should be removed though.
#6Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 4/14/2013 8:29:32 PM
Are they really removing poise? It'd be idiotic if they did. Being staggered by a dagger while wearing the heaviest armor in the game simply makes no sense. Then again, getting damaged by one doesn't either.
---
PSN: ShankerOfFaces
What are you, casul?
#7rainedownPosted 4/14/2013 9:08:52 PM
I seriously think Poise should be removed, Hyper armor thrown back in, and a new stat should be thrown in (Let's call it Posture for the hell of it). The idea of Posture would be to let people with higher amounts of it recover faster from hits, knock downs, etc.--small amounts, never even close to immunity, but a bonus for having it.

...Then put Posture on the lighter armor. Seriously, there should be some reasons to getting non-heavy armor. I wore the stuff purely for aesthetic reasons this time around, I'd love to see a real reason to wear it in DkS2.

There's a reason the heaviest armors with DWGR/Havels have always proven popular, they allow you to mess up way too much. Your poise let's you take more hits than you should, the resistance/dam reduction is ridiculous compared to other sets. You shouldn't have to feel like you're gimping yourself just for not wearing heavy armor.

And as far as 'plate should beat daggers/rapiers/etc.':

1) it's a game, there should be balance.

2) (For those that can't get over the 'realness': Thrusting attacks with piercing weapons were the general way to get through a knight's armor in the first place, that's why knight's sword are tipped like @~~{=======>
A rapier or Dagger would certainly be able to pierce it, and there's always the inherent weakest areas of any suit.
#8AquilarchPosted 4/14/2013 9:27:25 PM
rainedown posted...

And as far as 'plate should beat daggers/rapiers/etc.':

1) it's a game, there should be balance.

2) (For those that can't get over the 'realness': Thrusting attacks with piercing weapons were the general way to get through a knight's armor in the first place, that's why knight's sword are tipped like @~~{=======>
A rapier or Dagger would certainly be able to pierce it, and there's always the inherent weakest areas of any suit.

Actually, the pointed tip was a counter to leather and mail. Thrusting swords were popular for getting under a mailed opponent's guard by going through it.

Plate, then, was a counter development to weapons that effectively negated the value of hardened leathers and ringlets. This gave rise to blunt weapons a la maces and warhammers, which would deform plate armors and make them at best uncomfortable and at worst lethal. The idea was to kill a man with his own protection.

This is reflected in many video games by attributing armor penetration to blunt weapons (see Skyrim, Dragon Age) and higher critical tendency to bladed weapons (see Skyrim, League of Legends, everything ever).
---
GT: Argent Ursine
#9GotRadsPosted 4/14/2013 9:29:05 PM
Well as it is poise is the only thing that makes the heavier armors worth a damn. So really what they need is to reevaluate how they're going to balance armors in general in terms of heavy vs light.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/thelegendaryp
http://i.imgur.com/prZz82T.jpg
#10SolidKnightPosted 4/14/2013 11:53:38 PM
Poise is a good mechanic but it should only be active during attacks. That would pretty much fix everyone's complaints.