Question for the PvP Gods....

#1Shadow985_Posted 4/15/2013 7:23:16 PM
I know you all say lagstabs are 100% avoidable and to just get gud and recently I have been avoiding them.

Sadly I have a new problem now. How do you avoid phantom hits from miles away. Not so much spells really just swings from weapons that land 20 feet in the wrong direction and maybe GC spam.
#2Proudleaf24Posted 4/15/2013 7:28:29 PM
Connection will affect how you play considerably. Currently at my college I get 40 down, 30 up on average. No phantom hits whatsoever.

If you're playing on a slower connection (like my home connection), your best option is to just get used to the distance that you know you have to be at in order to be safe. The DWGR ring, in addition to being the second best ring in the game, is very helpful for pretty much saying no to any to phantom hits and the like.
---
You're gonna love my nuts
#3quartercirclePosted 4/15/2013 7:29:58 PM
I know the feeling. Dude invaded me in Duke's on the balcony. We're at opposite sides and backs turned to railing and he somehow (miraculously) bses me. How, I don't know. He bsed me another time and I took zero damage. He does "praise the sun" gesture and I take damage. Weird stuff happening.
#4TheDarkone21Posted 4/15/2013 7:30:03 PM
Man, if you could control that, you'd be a REAL god.
---
I'm on the phone!
#5Shadow985_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 7:39:28 PM
Proudleaf24 posted...
Connection will affect how you play considerably. Currently at my college I get 40 down, 30 up on average. No phantom hits whatsoever.

If you're playing on a slower connection (like my home connection), your best option is to just get used to the distance that you know you have to be at in order to be safe. The DWGR ring, in addition to being the second best ring in the game, is very helpful for pretty much saying no to any to phantom hits and the like.

I'll give the DWGR a shot. Thanks. My connection is like 25 up 19 down that isn't TOO bad is it?

On a side note, does anyone think the point forward emote is like a douchebag emote? I might start using it after a win instead of bow just to mix it up.
#6quartercirclePosted 4/15/2013 7:52:26 PM
Point skyward is worse. Looks like you're smacking your head and shaking it in disgrace.
#7Oh_HelloPosted 4/15/2013 11:44:21 PM
I'm awful at pvp but I'll try to help.

if they're hitting you with dead angles, it looks like they're swinging in weird directions and not directly at you, yet they still hit you and those attacks are unblockable.
so just roll or stay out of range. depending on their weapon you could maybe backstab, roll BS or trade hits.

people also do this with WotG, they cast the spell with their backs to you, so it's unblockable. again, roll and punish.

if the problem is lag, react faster and roll earlier to avoid most stuff.

for combustion, roll unlocked, if you remain lock-on it can still hit you while rolling.

also know when to roll and don't over do it, some players will predict your rolling and then backstab you as you land.

hope this helps.
#8SolidKnightPosted 4/16/2013 1:23:58 AM
There's literally nothing you can do. If the disparity in connection is so great that everything you're doing is out of sync with each other then it'd all just come down to a guessing game. I've had hosts kill me with stuff that not only missed but from entirely across the map. Like I ran away a minute ago but I see the host spamming spells at nothing and in the wrong direction but they still hit me anyway (not visually; my character will just catch on fire and I'll take damage).
#9pirate109Posted 4/16/2013 1:52:03 AM
If the lag is that bad, there's nothing you can do.

But on the subject of GC spam (with minor lag), there are a couple of easy counters.

- hold up black knight shield at all times, never roll, and poke with thrusting sword (preferably estoc) when they use it
- quickswap to wolf ring if you don't have 41 poise already and poisestab them when they use it (preferably have 61+ poise in case they switch to black flame)
- (harder) quickswap to dwgr, predict the next cast and rollbs
---
GT: wgt07
Metroid Prime, Super Meat Boy speed runs: http://www.youtube.com/user/wgtan01
#10xChaosLordxPosted 4/16/2013 2:32:08 AM
The thing about lagstabs is you have to protect your past from your future opponent. In other words, latency. You might leave an opening that you think you got away with, but on their side of the screen they nailed you and it looks like they BS'd you in the face. All this happens in the matter of under a second.