Strength Build: Claymore, Zweihander, or Black Knight Sword?

#1DisastersaurusPosted 4/19/2013 3:36:05 AM
So I'm working on my 'final' Dark Souls character for one last playthrough before DS2 hits this fall, and I've decided I want to make a sort of power hitter.

So far, I've narrowed down the weapons I want to use to Claymore, Zweihander, and BKS. I'm not really interested in any others, these are the movesets I enjoy the most.

Assuming I'm going for more of a PvE focus (likely just beating the game once, NG+ is possible but unlikely, PvP is not a focus), which of these weapons is best-suited to success?
---
Gamefaqs User Cycle: Join. Get Trolled. Tell yourself you'll never troll like that. Constantly argue with trolls. Give up and start trolling new users.
#2Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 4/19/2013 3:44:03 AM
Well if you're looking for a 0 effort run, BKS will work fine. The other two require a lot more materials and messing around to get them to full power, but will end up stronger.

Claymore is wonderful, zweihander I love for pvp, but I had to do an only zweihander playthrough with 16 strength and it was horrible.

Demon ruins with nothing but a chaos zweihander made me want to kill myself
---
PSN: ShankerOfFaces
What are you, casul?
#3BoukePosted 4/19/2013 3:47:27 AM(edited)
None of those weapons are strength weapons...

Claymore & Zweihander want a 27/40 split.
BKGS needs 32/18 to one-hand.
A true strength build doesn't have more than 10 dex.

BKS needs 20/18 and gives 414 AR, which is decent, but has horrible scaling beyond that.
Enough to finish the game though, if you're lucky enough to get to drop one.

You could go 40/40 and use whatever you want. But you'll be hard pressed to get a decent build for that in ng...
---
PSN: RiverChaucer3rd, Pawn: Mina (Level oo) [Sorceress] *Max magic*
PSN: Brynhild1st, Pawn: Farnese (Level oo) [Ranger] Send FR for free hires
#4Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 3:45:59 AM
Bouke posted...

You could go 40/40 and use whatever you want. But you'll be hard pressed to get a decent build for that in ng...

Why would I want more than 10 dex for Zweihander? It only requires 10 and doesn't scale for crap with it. Doesn't that make it a strength weapon?
---
Gamefaqs User Cycle: Join. Get Trolled. Tell yourself you'll never troll like that. Constantly argue with trolls. Give up and start trolling new users.
#5Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 3:47:55 AM
Lieutenant_Fuzz posted...
Well if you're looking for a 0 effort run, BKS will work fine. The other two require a lot more materials and messing around to get them to full power, but will end up stronger.

Claymore is wonderful, zweihander I love for pvp, but I had to do an only zweihander playthrough with 16 strength and it was horrible.

Interesting. Now, I love the zweihander against mobs, but I notice against some bosses (Ornstein and Smough, for example) it feels like it can be tough to get a swing off.

Would it be better to switch to the claymore for those fights, or is it just a 'learn to use the weapon' issue?
---
#6Hero_DunbanPosted 4/19/2013 3:48:07 AM
Disastersaurus posted...
Bouke posted...

Why would I want more than 10 dex for Zweihander? It only requires 10 and doesn't scale for crap with it. Doesn't that make it a strength weapon?

Zwei has C/C scaling. By your logic, it isn't a strength weapon either.
---
"i can't think of any instance i've found an R2 more useful than an R1 in pve." - liampancakes, eminent Dark Souls PvE master.
#7Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 4/19/2013 3:50:56 AM
Disastersaurus posted...
Lieutenant_Fuzz posted...

Interesting. Now, I love the zweihander against mobs, but I notice against some bosses (Ornstein and Smough, for example) it feels like it can be tough to get a swing off.

Would it be better to switch to the claymore for those fights, or is it just a 'learn to use the weapon' issue?

I definitely agree, it's often a better choice to take out the Claymore at the expense of losing that huge single hit damage due to how impractical it can be against bosses.

Zweihander stuns ornstein, which is cool.
---
What are you, casul?
#8Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 3:52:22 AM(edited)
Hero_Dunban posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
Bouke posted...

I was more going for 'strength' as in, like, a character who is built around strong physical attacks and heavy armor, not strength the in-game stat.

Sorry, I haven't played a lot of Dark Souls, didn't know the proper terminology.
---
#9BoukePosted 4/19/2013 3:53:18 AM
You really don't want to go beyond 27 strength for a Zwei as long as you're two handing.
Still scales significantly with dex though.

Whether a +15 Zwei is worth it under sl100 is a different question entirely though, if you care about fastroll and decent poise that is...
---
PSN: RiverChaucer3rd, Pawn: Mina (Level oo) [Sorceress] *Max magic*
PSN: Brynhild1st, Pawn: Farnese (Level oo) [Ranger] Send FR for free hires
#10Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 4/19/2013 3:53:50 AM
Hero_Dunban posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
Bouke posted...

Zwei is always C/D brah
---
What are you, casul?