Changes from Demon's Souls.

#1Patriarch105Posted 4/21/2013 11:05:26 PM
I'm just about to get the Platinum trophy in Demon's Souls then I'll be switching over to Dark Souls.

What should I be aware of as far as what's new and old? With the exception of the lack of servers for Multiplayer which I'm already aware of.

Still World and Character Tendency?
Most Items return in some way? Mostly thinking of Friend/Foe Rings and PvP recommended weapons from Demon's Souls.
With and Without DLC how many bosses are there? There were 16 main bosses in Demon's Souls. (The Sub-bosses and Final boss were all jokes who didn't offer a soul that went towards spells or weapons)
Is there a Hub like the Nexus?

Any other info that's interesting, Helpful, or I should just be aware of?
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#2TemperantiaPosted 4/21/2013 11:31:34 PM
Well, there's a lot of same kind of basic weapons, such as scimitar, zweihander, but also a lot of unique ones. Battle system is pretty much same, so you get hang of it fat.

22 bosses without, 26 with.

No, there's no nexus. It's big open world.
#3R1masherPosted 4/21/2013 11:32:29 PM
There's mounts and poker in the town, and the arena is awesome for leveling up your golden coin purse
---
R1R1R1R1R1R1
#4m415mikePosted 4/21/2013 11:33:45 PM
No character/world tendencies. It's an open world, but there is an area that serves as a central hub.
#5chaochaomanPosted 4/21/2013 11:42:20 PM
You might know this already, but there aren't any farmable health restoring items. Instead, you have an Estus Flask which you can use to heal yourself five times before you have to go to a bonfire to refill it. You can also upgrade it with Firekeeper Souls to make it give you more health and Kindle it at bonfires so you can use it ten times before having to refill it.
---
Unofficial "That guy" of darn near everything.
Peaceful days died. Let's survive.
#6ZoosIVXXPosted 4/21/2013 11:49:47 PM
There is a lot of bears
So many bears
---
Widdly scuds
Current PSN(s): BiggieSmoughs/LordranReaper
#7BadrangTyrantPosted 4/21/2013 11:58:02 PM
No more grass (thank god).
---
PSN - Alexdesniper/BadrangTryrant
#8final_chancePosted 4/22/2013 4:58:34 AM
Patriarch105 posted...
I'm just about to get the Platinum trophy in Demon's Souls then I'll be switching over to Dark Souls.

What should I be aware of as far as what's new and old? With the exception of the lack of servers for Multiplayer which I'm already aware of.

Most Items return in some way? Mostly thinking of Friend/Foe Rings and PvP recommended weapons from Demon's Souls.
With and Without DLC how many bosses are there? There were 16 main bosses in Demon's Souls. (The Sub-bosses and Final boss were all jokes who didn't offer a soul that went towards spells or weapons)

No tendency of either kind.

Generally speaking, everything that was in Demon's Souls is in Dark Souls, plus more so there is generally a lot more variety. There are some exclusions though. Mostly things that were a bit too powerful in Demon's, such as Second Chance, Warding, Kris Blade, and Morion Blade. Lots of weapon have unique attacks (read, useless for PvP) but are fun for PvE purposes.

Refer to the other posts for numbers of bosses. It's worth mentioning though that three of those bosses are basically copies of eachother. Some of the early bosses also become regular enemies later on, so its up to you if you want to consider them "bosses" in the long run. A couple bosses draw inspiration from Demon's Souls too, such as the Gargoyles, aka Maneaters 2.0.

No hub system. Dark Souls is one big, Metroidvania style map. The areas all seamlessly link into eachother and you regularly find shortcuts to open up between areas as you progress. It's a lot better than a hub system IMO. It's worth mentioning though that Firelink Shrine, the first area you go to after the tutorial, emulates the Nexus. It's a safe zone (unless you draw enemies there) and many NPCs you help will show up there as merchants.

There is no difference between being human and undead this time. The only difference is you turn human to engage in MP, same as before. Having "soft" humanity, that is having humanity in your counter, will increase item drop rate. Your first humanity point will give a large boost, and each subsequent point after that will give a little bit more, up to 10 humanity.

The Estus system was already explained. The only other thing to mention is that only Firekeeper bonfires (there are only 4 of these bonfires) will give you 10 flasks by default. Other bonfires will only give 5, so if you want 10 you have to use humanity to kindle the fire and make it stronger. It's also possible to kindle two more times to receive 15/20 flasks, but this requires a certain key item to do.

Spells now work on a limited cast system rather than using MP. Your charges will be restored everytime you rest at a bonfire. Spell slots come from the Attunement stat now, and are universal to all three schools of magic. Pyromancy has been separated from Sorcery this time to make a third school. It doesn't scale off of any stat. It only gets stronger by leveling up the "catalyst" for it, so even melee can use strong magic with no stat investment if they want.

And stay away from Resistance. It's a useless stat. That's all I can think of for now.
---
~El Psy Congroo~
PSN ID: FatBeezzee
#9WiiareVenomPosted 4/22/2013 5:05:36 AM
final_chance posted...
Patriarch105 posted...

No tendency of either kind.

Generally speaking, everything that was in Demon's Souls is in Dark Souls, plus more so there is generally a lot more variety. There are some exclusions though. Mostly things that were a bit too powerful in Demon's, such as Second Chance, Warding, Kris Blade, and Morion Blade. Lots of weapon have unique attacks (read, useless for PvP) but are fun for PvE purposes.

Refer to the other posts for numbers of bosses. It's worth mentioning though that three of those bosses are basically copies of eachother. Some of the early bosses also become regular enemies later on, so its up to you if you want to consider them "bosses" in the long run. A couple bosses draw inspiration from Demon's Souls too, such as the Gargoyles, aka Maneaters 2.0.

No hub system. Dark Souls is one big, Metroidvania style map. The areas all seamlessly link into eachother and you regularly find shortcuts to open up between areas as you progress. It's a lot better than a hub system IMO. It's worth mentioning though that Firelink Shrine, the first area you go to after the tutorial, emulates the Nexus. It's a safe zone (unless you draw enemies there) and many NPCs you help will show up there as merchants.

There is no difference between being human and undead this time. The only difference is you turn human to engage in MP, same as before. Having "soft" humanity, that is having humanity in your counter, will increase item drop rate. Your first humanity point will give a large boost, and each subsequent point after that will give a little bit more, up to 10 humanity.

The Estus system was already explained. The only other thing to mention is that only Firekeeper bonfires (there are only 4 of these bonfires) will give you 10 flasks by default. Other bonfires will only give 5, so if you want 10 you have to use humanity to kindle the fire and make it stronger. It's also possible to kindle two more times to receive 15/20 flasks, but this requires a certain key item to do.

Spells now work on a limited cast system rather than using MP. Your charges will be restored everytime you rest at a bonfire. Spell slots come from the Attunement stat now, and are universal to all three schools of magic. Pyromancy has been separated from Sorcery this time to make a third school. It doesn't scale off of any stat. It only gets stronger by leveling up the "catalyst" for it, so even melee can use strong magic with no stat investment if they want.

And stay away from Resistance. It's a useless stat. That's all I can think of for now.

Actually, there is another difference between human and undead. You need to be human to upgrade the bonfires.
---
Join our bearded nation , our bearded population, our bearded operation. Its not an invitation, it is an expectation.
#10Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 8:22:44 AM
Depending on how shortcuts work the new layout of the world sounds tedious.

I imagine having to run from 1-1 Boletarian Palace to 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105