Just started NG++ and I still don't understand weapon upgrades

#1gws0891Posted 4/23/2013 9:47:33 AM
I've been running around with a Great Scythe +15 since the end of NG.

So far it's the best weapon I've found, with a couple close seconds, but to the point - do any upgrade paths outclass normal +15? Besides Crystal (which breaks eventually)?

Every time I upgrade a weapon down some other path the damage output ends up being a total joke compared to a normal +15 with good scaling, even at the final upgrade.

What are some examples of enemies with weaknesses I should be exploiting with specific upgrades? What are some other examples of reasons to use specific weapons? ( I did mess around with Server and it's stun lock capabilities are awesome against black / silver knights)
#2Chao_YunPosted 4/23/2013 9:52:31 AM
You're normally best off with +15s, and you happened to pick a really good one. I would suggest keep doing what you're doing. :)
---
Forest trees are greener.
#3gws0891(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 9:57:52 AM
So GS is a bit overpowered then? I brought a divine weapon into the catacombs to deal with the necromancer / nito skeletons, and it took so much effort to kill them, than it does to just knock over a group of 4 - 5 with a single R2 of the great scythe.

I tried using a lightning uchi + 5 on the hellkite drake (since drakes are supposedly weak to lightning ) and again the damage output was a joke.

Seriously the normal upgrade path with good scaling makes all the elemental paths totally redundant, unless I am missing something here. And then of course you can still buff the weapons. What the heck?

Also . . . is the demon spear worth upgrading? Or should I save the demon titanite?
#4final_chancePosted 4/23/2013 10:05:03 AM
Elementals are for builds with minimum str/dex requirements. A +15 with the right stats is nearly always going to win, and it will absolutely always win if you buff it.
---
~El Psy Congroo~
PSN ID: FatBeezzee
#5Chao_YunPosted 4/23/2013 10:06:37 AM
gws0891 posted...
So GS is a bit overpowered then? I brought a divine weapon into the catacombs to deal with the necromancer / nito skeletons, and it took so much effort to kill them, than it does to just knock over a group of 4 - 5 with a single R2 of the great scythe.

I tried using a lightning uchi + 5 on the hellkite drake (since drakes are supposedly weak to lightning ) and again the damage output was a joke.

Seriously the normal upgrade path with good scaling makes all the elemental paths totally redundant, unless I am missing something here. And then of course you can still buff the weapons. What the heck? really like magic, I would suggest the Butterfly Horn.

Also . . . is the demon spear worth upgrading? Or should I save the demon titanite?

Opinions will vary, but unless you follow an intelligence path, I would save your titanite. If you love magic, I would suggest the Butterfly Horn
---
#6xXxHaVeNPosted 4/23/2013 10:09:50 AM
gws0891 posted...

No, it's not overpowered. It does do good damage, and it is certainly one of the better weapons out there. But I'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about weapon scaling. When using your divine weapon, did you have 30-50 faith? I'm guessing your Dex was around that high and your Faith was rather low. That's why your divine weapon sucked.

Elemental weapons are not to be used on builds with high stats. Again, guessing you've got high Dex.

Seriously the normal upgrade path with good scaling makes all the elemental paths totally redundant, unless I am missing something here. And then of course you can still buff the weapons. What the heck?

You're right. They are redundant on builds that have scaling. But what about a build with only 16 Str and Dex? A +15 weapon would be horrible, as the scaling just wouldn't be good at all. THIS is where Lightning, Fire, and Chaos come into play. When you're playing a build with low Str, Dex, etc.

Doesn't do good damage, but it's a very safe weapon. You can poke 'n roll with it easily due to its length. It's probably better for PvP than PvE though.

---
GT: xXxHaVeN117
CoD is the best game series ever and it will never be topped ever never. This sig is 100% serious and not a joke at all. Nope.
#7gws0891(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 10:30:47 AM
OK so basically with a high DEX / STR build like I have, normal is the way to go.

What about when you start getting high up in SL though? I stopped putting points in DEX at 40, and am now edging all the other base stats up to their "soft cap". Is this advisable, or should I stick to my "build" and put more into DEX even well after I hit 40?
#8wyvernhbabyPosted 4/23/2013 10:34:48 AM
gws0891 posted...
I've been running around with a Great Scythe +15 since the end of NG.

So far it's the best weapon I've found, with a couple close seconds, but to the point - do any upgrade paths outclass normal +15? Besides Crystal (which breaks eventually)?

Every time I upgrade a weapon down some other path the damage output ends up being a total joke compared to a normal +15 with good scaling, even at the final upgrade.

What are some examples of enemies with weaknesses I should be exploiting with specific upgrades? What are some other examples of reasons to use specific weapons? ( I did mess around with Server and it's stun lock capabilities are awesome against black / silver knights)

Another scrub from the epicnamebro covenant....
#9xCloudyxPosted 4/23/2013 10:39:41 AM
gws0891 posted...
OK so basically with a high DEX / STR build like I have, normal is the way to go.

What about when you start getting high up in SL though? I stopped putting points in DEX at 40, and am now edging all the other base stats up to their "soft cap". Is this advisable, or should I stick to my "build" and put more into DEX even well after I hit 40?

No point going higher than 40 anything unless you have something in mind that needs it.
---
(\ (O_O) /) Praise the sun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O1sH1N6n4
#10Chao_YunPosted 4/23/2013 10:42:37 AM
gws0891 posted...

You get diminishing returns. I think Dex is viable up to 45 for casting speed, but that is a personal opinion. Focus on what you want and ignore what other people tell you. Most are idiots anyway. Take care.
---