So the intro (As seen from a newcomer) (No Spoilers past Intro)

#11The moonlight knightPosted 4/25/2013 10:14:45 PM
If your obnoxious sarcasm is to express a fear that the intro will make things too obvious and not up to interpretation, don't worry - there's still a mass amount of stuff we don't know, and the intro doesn't really make things as concrete as it may seem. It's a description of some events, and what things were like before them. But it doesn't really explain that much, leaves many questions, and there will be mostly just more questions as you progress on.

The nature of the Dark Soul itself is a source of a lot of speculation, for example.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#12Vagrant_OnerPosted 4/25/2013 10:35:53 PM
Spoilers? In Dark Souls? TOP LEL
---
"The Dark is formless and invisible. It invades the body like a plague, an unseen visitor. Yet those it taints become... undying."
#13OusellePosted 4/25/2013 10:51:26 PM
MC_Knight01 posted...
Ouselle posted...
If you're playing Dark Souls for a cohesive storyline, you're playing the wrong game.

You're playing the wrong game. Dark Souls is the VERY definition of cohesive story. You have to put together all the little bits and pieces...maybe you didn't understand what cohesive meant?

co·he·sion
Noun

1. The action or fact of forming a united whole: "the work at present lacks cohesion".
2.The sticking together of particles of the same substance.

You can attempt to stick every little item description and in game conversation together and youre still left with a ridiculous amount of unanswered questions.

So where did Priscilla come from?
Where did the Harpies in the Painted World Come from?
If the Painted world is peaceful why are there dead bodies and people on spikes everywhere?
What happened to Gwynevere?
Whats the pendant for?
How did Oscar get the key to your cell?
Why does Rhea have a pendant?
How did Dusk get in the golem?
What exactly happened to the Witch of Izalith?
Why are half of the other blacksmiths we see petrified?

And before you come up with a bunch of theory crafted, supposed answers, I'd like some answers that are you're 100% about and can back up.

Dark Souls is a messy incomplete game with gaps, holes and errors everywhere.
From Software couldn't even get half of the item descriptions and game mechanics right, I highly doubt they intentionally left the storyline so sloppy.
The storyline is an attempt to be cohesive and just ends up overly vague and inconstant.

Sort of like the gameplay.
#14Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 11:09:34 PM
The moonlight knight posted...
If your obnoxious sarcasm is to express a fear that the intro will make things too obvious and not up to interpretation, don't worry - there's still a mass amount of stuff we don't know, and the intro doesn't really make things as concrete as it may seem. It's a description of some events, and what things were like before them. But it doesn't really explain that much, leaves many questions, and there will be mostly just more questions as you progress on.

The nature of the Dark Soul itself is a source of a lot of speculation, for example.

I actually said in both my first post and another post. I think the Intro was so heavy handed that i'm afraid i missed something.

I didn't subtly weave those thoughts in. I said them flat out. 2x.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#15The moonlight knightPosted 4/25/2013 11:30:51 PM
Well I was somewhat disoriented by the intense amount of obnoxiousness in your first post. >_>
---
#16Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 11:44:53 PM(edited)
The moonlight knight posted...
Well I was somewhat disoriented by the intense amount of obnoxiousness in your first post. >_>

Well I found that intro to be obnoxious. You pick up any emotion you want but that doesn't change the fact that it was one of the most poorly written thing's you've ever experienced.

The game's story probably will get better later. THAT was complete garbage and in no way deserves to be treated with respect.

If anything I improved on the intro by putting a small amount of thought into my wisecracks. You don't have to like my version it's hard to build on garbage.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#17Vidarr29Posted 4/25/2013 11:46:10 PM
You're*
---
Deep wells must be dug if you want clear water
#18The moonlight knightPosted 4/25/2013 11:48:32 PM
Doubling down on obnoxiousness, I see.
---
#19babysbadnewsPosted 4/26/2013 12:00:06 AM
The story is about a time traveling zombie searching for a purpose in life.
---
"We offer full health, dental and you get to kill things" - Chairman
#20Necro_Fear89Posted 4/26/2013 12:38:34 AM
I found that the intro to Demon's Souls worked in it's favor because it just showed what to expect of the game, it was disconnected to the lore and the story. The dragon god showing up in what looked like Boletaria, the golden skeleton from 4-1 showing up as well, as well as the blue phantoms showing up to aid the knight all were gameplay elements the game was portraying. The into to Dark Souls was an attempt to give a basic back-story as to why things are the way they are, who Gwyn is, who the Witches are, who Nito and Seath were and about the curse of the Undead and the age of fire.

While I would have preferred to have had to figure this stuff out on my own, just like how I figured out who the characters were in Demon's Souls without any cinematics I feel the only thing it did was to show how the dragons were destroyed, and each of the lords had a different role to play. Gwyn ripped apart their scales of immortality with lightning bolts, with Seath's help after he told them scales made them immortal.

The Witches burned down their homes, the Archtrees with pyromancy and fire.

Nito unleashed disease after the dragon's flesh was exposed and their immortality removed.

Seath is mentioned last, but he was betraying them since the beginning.

While I did enjoy the cinematic on a visual scale, I could have figured all this out on my own since just like I did with Demon's Souls I learned what I could based on what subtle hints the game gave me. We were explained nothing, yet we figured things out anyways as we went along without being given facts. so I see where you are coming from TC, the last thing I want the games to do is to present me a generic story of "This is what happened" "This is the bad guy", Dark Souls II seems to be taking a more direct approach to story-telling however, even more so than Dark Souls 1, so I suppose we will see if the game will be more story heavy than it's predecessors.
---
Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended- Maiden in Black