Why do Japanese players exclusively backstab?

#11rpgdreamersPosted 4/26/2013 10:56:21 PM
Lieutenant_Fuzz posted...
Every Japanese player I've played with so far has quite literally done nothing but fish for backstabs. It's a little ridiculous. Did they all go to the same Dark Souls academy where they did nothing but backstab?

Pretty much. They are all flippers and backstabbers. It's there style of gameplay. For them that's like skill.
#12TitanicHornetPosted 4/27/2013 4:12:38 AM
In my experience from playing Japanese people at any game online, they will do the cheapest tacts they can to win. From NBA to Battlefield to Dark Souls, if there is a cheap way to win, they will attempt it and keep at it until you beat them, or they quit.

I get stuck playing a lot of Japanese people being in Australia. Horrible lagg too.
---
You dont win silver, you lose gold!
#13m415mikePosted 4/27/2013 4:25:24 AM
Nick_Chaos007 posted...
I remember recounting quite a hilarious story with a Japanese player in the arena.

I kept encountering someone who rolled backstab and ONLY rolled backstab. He would never attack until I attacked and would just ninja flip through me and backstab. So I stopped attacking. Completely avoided magic, melee...everything. The fight endedin a draw...A DRAW! Turns out patience is the greatest weapon of them all.

Encountered him again, same strat, same result. Draw each and every time. I really hope roll BS isn't a "thing" in DS2.

Aren't those people pretty simple to beat? If you're decent at playing unlocked, you have the advantage of always knowing where they will be. Disengage lock-on, start your swing, then position yourself facing behind and to the left of you. They will more than likely eat a hit.
#14Dex_PyromaniacPosted 4/27/2013 4:47:16 AM
Because they know that 99% of western players suck at the game so they can easily fish you to death
---
Video games always break the fourth wall, theyre like 'Snake, push the SELECT button!' and Snakes probably like 'What the f***!?'
-lordofultima
#15AdarksoulPosted 4/27/2013 5:00:13 AM
some of the most dickish players i fought were american's crap like running away when they invade thinking you will chase them(why?) but to tbh whether american or not you still have your honor scrubs.
#16DuneManPosted 4/27/2013 5:47:50 AM
TitanicHornet posted...
In my experience from playing Japanese people at any game online, they will do the cheapest tacts they can to win. From NBA to Battlefield to Dark Souls, if there is a cheap way to win, they will attempt it and keep at it until you beat them, or they quit.

I get stuck playing a lot of Japanese people being in Australia. Horrible lagg too.

Their mentality, at least as far as certain Japanese players expressed it to me, is along the lines of "It is super effective, you try too!" They go for whatever they find to be the most efficient.

In a game like Dark Souls, you can't take the PVP seriously at all due to the existence of rollstabs. The backstab system as a whole makes the entire PVP scene a joke.

The fixes I've proposed in the past seem to turn off folks though: only allowing backstabs if the character model itself is physically facing the target, a full 2 seconds of damage immunity on wakeup, and switching the damage modifiers on backstabs and ripostes to grant a higher reward for much higher difficulty of landing a backstab. With a system like that fights will last longer than 2 chainstabs.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#17DJ_0000Posted 4/27/2013 5:51:56 AM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
Because they know that 99% of western players suck at the game so they can easily fish you to death

This, I can't believe how much hate roll BS gets in this community. If they are really being that obvious then you can counter bait them into the roll BS and punish it, but apparently this is a foreign concept to most people here.
#18SubTonic14Posted 4/27/2013 5:59:22 AM(edited)
Or just disallow backstabs if the the person is locked onto their opponent. Honestly, backstabs severely hurt the fun of the PvP for me. I don't go for them because I think trapping somebody in what is essentially a throw animation is lame and frustrating for them. I know it is for me. I'd rather see them not return at all in DkS2, because they also make the PvE a bit too trivial. I've since quit using them in PvE, but they're still completely broken against CPU opponents. The system in general just needs an overhaul, imo. It's simply too easy to abuse backstabbing, and it takes up like half of the PvP. It's like fighting a Ken in SF4 online who takes every opportunity he gets to Shoryuken. Sure, it can be countered with enough practice, but that doesn't make it any less obnoxious to me.
#19ThewindycudgelPosted 4/27/2013 6:48:39 AM
m415mike posted...
Nick_Chaos007 posted...
I remember recounting quite a hilarious story with a Japanese player in the arena.

I kept encountering someone who rolled backstab and ONLY rolled backstab. He would never attack until I attacked and would just ninja flip through me and backstab. So I stopped attacking. Completely avoided magic, melee...everything. The fight endedin a draw...A DRAW! Turns out patience is the greatest weapon of them all.

Encountered him again, same strat, same result. Draw each and every time. I really hope roll BS isn't a "thing" in DS2.

Aren't those people pretty simple to beat? If you're decent at playing unlocked, you have the advantage of always knowing where they will be. Disengage lock-on, start your swing, then position yourself facing behind and to the left of you. They will more than likely eat a hit.

They would be easy to beat if they couldn't teleport behind you with their super saiyan lag powers. Every Japanese person I've ever fought has teleported at light speed. One guy even FLEW at me and the landed behind my pack for a hornet stab
#20SubTonic14Posted 4/27/2013 7:00:34 AM
Oh please, any decent Dark Souls player can see directly into the future and counter a lagstab, amirite? git gud huehuehue