I cannot f***ing beat manus

#1pyromancerzoddPosted 4/28/2013 9:28:05 PM
I've tried so many times but i just can't beat him. i'm on my first character, on NG+ at lvl 170 and i can't do it. i don't know what i'm doing wrong. i tried heavy armor, no armor, greatshield of artorious, divine blessings, elizabeth's mushrooms. everything. everything but summons i suppose. though i don't really want to use summons.

Would he be easier on a new character on NG? I just don't know what to do. I get him to just below half health and he one shots me. last time i fought him he just blasted some giant dark magic barrage straight at me and it completely obliterated me.

I want to at the very least beat manus before dark souls 2 comes out. or i will have failed my mission.
#2zyrax2301Posted 4/28/2013 9:35:12 PM
Do you have the Silver Pendant? It's what you use to defend against all of his magic attacks in the second half of that fight.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3SolidKnightPosted 4/28/2013 9:37:18 PM
Silver Pendant really helps. Just equip the Silver Pendent and Estus. Remove everything else. When you see dark energy circling around him, start spamming that pendant.
#4pyromancerzodd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 9:42:30 PM
oh yeah i have that. i guess i'll try using it. thanks.
#5LodissPosted 4/28/2013 9:52:25 PM
If you're not right in his face trying to circle behind him like he's a titanite demon, you're f***ed. He's way too dangerous to be at medium or long range with if you're his target.

It's a phonebooth fight. The huge area of the Abyss is just From Software trying to f*** with you. It took me many attempts to realize this. Summoning Sif is a clue. How do you beat Sif? You get right in his face and stay there.

You don't take damage from collision detection with enemies, just with their attacks. Get over your fear and get right in there with him. You'll get the roll timing down soon enough, then he's yours.
---
You were indicted
#6zyrax2301Posted 4/28/2013 9:55:25 PM
^ Considering he can air-juggle you to death with his mental thrashing attack, I would call this bad advice. Getting close IS the best way to deal lots of damage to him quickly, but it's also the place that's most liable to get you killed.

I always fight him at long range and counter-attack after he slams his hands down. Learning when to dodge takes time, but overall it's safer because you don't have to deal with unpredictable close-range attacks.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#7HunterSCPosted 4/28/2013 10:10:30 PM
It's good that you refuse to use summons, I was the same way. Only beat this boss once, solo, with a lousy maxed lightning katana no good against this tank. Trust, after seemingly infinity tries it is the ultimate victory. It WOULD be easier with a NG but do you really want to resort to that?
---
HunterSC.tv - Souls coverage
#8ratul123Posted 4/28/2013 10:11:31 PM
try using Strong Magic Shield.
#9pyromancerzodd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:11:51 PM
i have an ultra greatsword and a great shield. I can't really do quick damage. I generally block until i have an opening and i two hand my BKGS and swing. With power within i hit like 700 damage. i try to get a second swing in every once in a while but i usually get punished afterwards for attempting it. His combo means nothing to me. I shrug it off if i'm blocking. IF i'm blocking that is. Once i let go, he kills me.
#10HunterSCPosted 4/28/2013 10:15:48 PM
Have you tried the BK Halberd? Just roll dodge and fit in the quick 2H R1 whenever you have an opening. He telegraphs nicely and all dark magics and dodgeable (not easy tho obviously).
---
HunterSC.tv - Souls coverage