Just got this game.

#1presea_loverPosted 4/29/2013 5:28:52 PM(edited)
Hi all, I got this game a few months ago and finally got around to playing it. I've been very impressed so far. I'm currently in Darkroot Forest, right before the butterfly fight. I thought this would be a good time to ask a few questions I haven't found answers to online. Maybe get some tips.

Do you miss Lautrec forever if you don't rescue him before fighting the Bell Gargoyle? I did the whole 1st bell quest without knowing where he was, then found out and went to where I thought he was supposed to be, and he's not there. Oh well.

I'm playing as a warrior (soul level 22) with the chainmail set, using Estoc+4 and Longsword+5. Is there some reason to stop using the Longsword? I've used it from the start of the game and haven't had many problems (except the giants in the forest). I'm not as fond of the Estoc, but I haven't come across a weapon I like more yet. I have basic sorcery (it's weak) and basic bow/crossbow bolts. My build is probably going to be "quality" weapons with a focus on melee.

So, in view of that, any tips for the butterfly? My character isn't really ranged or magic-oriented. I can do 20-30 damage per soul missile attack, about 15-20 with crossbow or bow. Seems like it'll take a really long time to kill the boss, and I don't know how to dodge the attacks. I can block, but my best anti-magic shield only stops about 60% of the damage.

Anyway, great game, reminds me of shadow of the colossus with the same deliberate design and environment-focused narrative. Exactly the sort of game I adore.
---
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater
#2DagnothPosted 4/29/2013 5:31:10 PM
If some one invades ur world at a low level, run for a bonfire.
---
I feel a whole lot more like I do now then I did a while ago.
#3final_chancePosted 4/29/2013 5:33:19 PM
Summon Beatrice. Her sign is hidden under a bush beneath the stairs before going up to Butterfly. She will solo the boss for you. And block the "shotgun" blasts with your shield since they don't do much damage, but roll through the concentrated blasts and beam.

And Lautrec frees himself if you don't do it before killing Gargoyles.
---
~El Psy Congroo~
PSN ID: FatBeezzee
#4RenzokukenexePosted 4/29/2013 6:07:36 PM(edited)
presea_lover posted...
Hi all, I got this game a few months ago and finally got around to playing it. I've been very impressed so far. I'm currently in Darkroot Forest, right before the butterfly fight. I thought this would be a good time to ask a few questions I haven't found answers to online. Maybe get some tips.

Do you miss Lautrec forever if you don't rescue him before fighting the Bell Gargoyle? I did the whole 1st bell quest without knowing where he was, then found out and went to where I thought he was supposed to be, and he's not there. Oh well.

I'm playing as a warrior (soul level 22) with the chainmail set, using Estoc+4 and Longsword+5. Is there some reason to stop using the Longsword? I've used it from the start of the game and haven't had many problems (except the giants in the forest). I'm not as fond of the Estoc, but I haven't come across a weapon I like more yet. I have basic sorcery (it's weak) and basic bow/crossbow bolts. My build is probably going to be "quality" weapons with a focus on melee.

So, in view of that, any tips for the butterfly? My character isn't really ranged or magic-oriented. I can do 20-30 damage per soul missile attack, about 15-20 with crossbow or bow. Seems like it'll take a really long time to kill the boss, and I don't know how to dodge the attacks. I can block, but my best anti-magic shield only stops about 60% of the damage.

Anyway, great game, reminds me of shadow of the colossus with the same deliberate design and environment-focused narrative. Exactly the sort of game I adore.

1: No lautrec eventually escapes on his own, once you've released him or rang the first bell he'll be in front of the firekeeper in firelink shrine until you ring the second bell of awakening, I don't wanna spoil it for you, but there are consequences depending on if you kill him at firelink shrine or not.

2: The longsword is an excellent weapon for quality builds that don't want to carry a lot of weight, upgrade it using the normal path, and max it out at +15 for a quality build, and hit it with any flavor of magic weapon/sunlight bade/darkmoon blade for great damage.

3: If your struggling with the moonlight butterfly, turn human, and run to the steps leading up to the boss fog, inside a bush underneath the stairs as you enter the building is the summon sign for witch Beatrice, summon her she'll pretty much kill the boss for you. Also make sure you equip your shield with the highest magic resist, and if your ranged damage sucks, concentrate on evading it's attacks until it lands and you can two hand your weapon and beat it to death.
#5presea_lover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 10:17:38 PM
Thanks for the advice.

(spoilers)
I summoned Beatrice and she destroyed that butterfly with ease. Since then I've been mostly picking around the edges of areas. I went into Valley of the Drakes, but it looks pretty tough, so I just killed the undead dragon with arrows, took his stuff and ducked out. I'm wondering when I'll be strong enough to kill the drake on the bridge in Undead Parish/Burg. I can block almost all his damage with the dragon shield, but his attacks don't have many gaps. I'm level 26 now btw, with an upgraded Knight set (I like how it looks.)

I beat the boss in the Lower Undead city area and rescued the sorcerer there. I couldn't figure out what to do after that, though. I've tried going through Anor Londo using the elevator, but ghosts show up that I have no way of damaging. I don't really like the idea of suicide runs.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out where the next new areas are I can reach. I know where Blighttown is, but I'm not going there yet.
---
#6chaochaomanPosted 4/29/2013 10:25:50 PM
presea_lover posted...
Thanks for the advice.

(spoilers)
I summoned Beatrice and she destroyed that butterfly with ease. Since then I've been mostly picking around the edges of areas. I went into Valley of the Drakes, but it looks pretty tough, so I just killed the undead dragon with arrows, took his stuff and ducked out. I'm wondering when I'll be strong enough to kill the drake on the bridge in Undead Parish/Burg. I can block almost all his damage with the dragon shield, but his attacks don't have many gaps. I'm level 26 now btw, with an upgraded Knight set (I like how it looks.)

I beat the boss in the Lower Undead city area and rescued the sorcerer there. I couldn't figure out what to do after that, though. I've tried going through Anor Londo using the elevator, but ghosts show up that I have no way of damaging. I don't really like the idea of suicide runs.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out where the next new areas are I can reach. I know where Blighttown is, but I'm not going there yet.

Yeah, New Londo isn't meant to be done until quite a bit later. Pretty much the only place I can think of that you can go to is Blighttown. That is, of course, if you've completed the Depths first.

As for the Hellkite Wyvern.......yeah, I have no idea; that thing could one-shot me at SL90. I don't even know if there's anything you really get from it either, besides easier access to the bonfire behind it. If you go underneath the bridge and shoot at it's tail you can get the Drake Sword, though.
---
Unofficial "That guy" of darn near everything.
Peaceful days died. Let's survive.
#7quartercirclePosted 4/29/2013 10:38:19 PM
Do you have the master key? If so, go to the area where you access New Londo, but just as you get off the elevator take a right to the adjacent tower, take the stairs up, and unlock the door to get to Blighttown. This is the back way in and it's far easier than the front entrance through the Depths. Simply take the ladders all the way down (follow the torches) and walk onto the wheeled platform thingy until you can safely roll off. Run to the left until you hit the bonfire. Then, make a dash straight across the water for the boss. Summoning some people makes it easier.

One thing you might want to do is snag the Gravelord sword. Look it up on youtube. It's a great weapon for early game, better than the Drake sword and faster to acquire. If your strength is too low you'll have to two-hand it but it's worth it.
#8The moonlight knightPosted 4/29/2013 10:41:42 PM
After beating the boss in the lower Undead Burg, you get the key to the Depths, which unlocks this door down there. Down some stairs and through a path some ways near the room you fought the boss. That's the path to the next bell.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#9presea_lover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 10:47:55 PM
I just realized Blighttown is the next area. :(

Yeah, I know there's a long way to get to Blighttown and a short way. I've been along the short path earlier, where some club fatties beat me up. I'm kind of interested in going into Depths (dunno where that is), because I hear there's a good shield down there. I've heard enough about Blighttown to know what to expect. Ugh.

Maybe I'll put off Blighttown in favor of Asylum.
---
#10quartercirclePosted 4/29/2013 10:58:58 PM
presea_lover posted...
I just realized Blighttown is the next area. :(

Yeah, I know there's a long way to get to Blighttown and a short way. I've been along the short path earlier, where some club fatties beat me up. I'm kind of interested in going into Depths (dunno where that is), because I hear there's a good shield down there. I've heard enough about Blighttown to know what to expect. Ugh.

Maybe I'll put off Blighttown in favor of Asylum.

Some pointers to make Blighttown easier:

1. Rusted Iron Ring from the asylum where you start. It allows normal movement through water.

2. Purple moss clumps. Can farm them off plant dudes in the forest or buy them from the merchant near the shortcut to the Depths.

3. Spider shield is what you're referring to. It's very easy to get. There's a little alcove near the butcher. Drop down and you'll see a glowing light on a corpse. That's the shield. Grab it, and if you don't want to mess with the Depths yet, bone out.

4. I hate being cursed. At early levels it costs a lot to buy a purging stone, so this is why I finish Blighttown first and the Depths later when I can just breeze through it. Only other useful thing there is the large ember and Laurentius and those are right at the beginning.