Anyone else find parrying really wonky?

#1KasadaPosted 5/5/2013 8:24:03 PM
It seems like I'm not even parrying their attack half the time when I pull it off. It's more like I'm parrying their INTENT to attack. The easiest way to describe this is when I try to parry spear guys. Their hand is pulled almost all the way back during the correct window. If I parry as their attack connects with me, all I get is the partial parry that drains my health anyway. This has made me incredibly wary to even try parrying in high tension situations. Anyone else feel this way about the timing, or am I just missing something?
---
Wa.
#2Fo_lc_usPosted 5/5/2013 8:27:05 PM
Yes.

As in you are correct, you are supposed to parry slightly before an actual attack hits.

At least in PVP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKwaL9v5wqg&feature=relmfu
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.
#3zyrax2301Posted 5/5/2013 8:50:19 PM
You are timing your parry animation so their attack occurs when your shield/hand is UP, a fraction of a second after you actually hit L2.

If you're talking PvP, you ought to be pressing L2 the moment you see "Dark spirit keelyou has invaded!"
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4Nick_Chaos007Posted 5/5/2013 8:54:48 PM
what's this "parrying" you speak of? I only know how to Dark Bead to peoples faces?!
---
Kill one man, You're a murderer. Kill 1,000 men, You're a king. Kill them all....and You're a god!
#5m415mikePosted 5/5/2013 8:55:07 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
You are timing your parry animation so their attack occurs when your shield/hand is UP, a fraction of a second after you actually hit L2.

If you're talking PvP, you ought to be pressing L2 the moment you see "Dark spirit keelyou has invaded!"

I like to press L2 a few times as soon as I reach an area in case I get invaded later.

I consider myself decent at parrying. I can make my way through Sen's and Anor Londo without a shield. I time my parries by hitting L2 as soon as I see the enemy begin the swing. The small delay of my character swinging his shield makes it seem to me as if I am parrying the actual hit. ENB times his parries based upon the enemy's hand reaching him. I'd say that he would probably come to the same conclusion.
#6zyrax2301Posted 5/5/2013 8:55:53 PM
m415mike posted...
zyrax2301 posted...

I like to press L2 a few times as soon as I reach an area in case I get invaded later.

I consider myself decent at parrying. I can make my way through Sen's and Anor Londo without a shield. I time my parries by hitting L2 as soon as I see the enemy begin the swing. The small delay of my character swinging his shield makes it seem to me as if I am parrying the actual hit. ENB times his parries based upon the enemy's hand reaching him. I'd say that he would probably come to the same conclusion.

You're a wise man. Occasionally I'll press O a couple of times too, keep that in the pocket for the boss fight.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#7Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 5/6/2013 3:12:09 AM
For all of my speedruns I spent 20 minutes pressing L2 in the cage in the undead asylum, then just sprint through the whole game while everything immediately drops dead in my wake if they so much as dare to attack.
---
PSN: ShankerOfFaces
What are you, casul?
#8SolidKnightPosted 5/6/2013 3:18:51 AM
Also factor in that time elapses between when you recognize the moment and actually press the button. After you press the button your parry is executed. The collision for parry is not the moment your character's arm starts moving but rather once it is half-way done with the animation.
#9The moonlight knightPosted 5/6/2013 11:29:47 AM
Parries are sort of like attacks that specifically target the enemy's arm/weapon. It's weird.

However, you must also understand that the actual proper timing and window for parrying varies immensely from attacks. It was also wonkier in Demon's Souls, where it wasn't that uncommon to take a full hit, but also parry the attack that hit you.

There's some attacks that seem impossible to parry. Like the man-serpent attack they do after a bite. I've tried many times. Either the timing is very counter-intuitive, or it's not possible.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#10CoontemptusPosted 5/6/2013 11:34:00 AM
The moonlight knight posted...
It was also wonkier in Demon's Souls, where it wasn't that uncommon to take a full hit, but also parry the attack that hit you.

I get partial hits that I take damage from and parry in Dark Souls quite often.
---
Sic semper tyrannis