About to fight Ornstein and Smough (solo) - any advice?

#1BeardedXBatmanPosted 5/14/2013 1:31:42 AM
I'd like to think I'm well prepared. SL53 divine zweihander +5, crest shield, pyro flame ascended +5. I have great combustion, great fireball, lightning spear and heal in my attunement slots. Weight is under 25%. About 900 hp.

I hear these guys are unbelievably tough, so I'm wondering if there are any more preparations I should make or am I good?
---
XB Gamertag - BeardedXBatman
PSN ID - BeardedXBatman
#2ray12aPosted 5/14/2013 1:45:28 AM(edited)
Spend all of your souls before you head in. I'd recommend killing smough first with lightning and great combustion, though save what fire attacks you can for ornstein. After smough is dead, keep your distance from ornstein until you figure out his patterns. It helps to always keep a pillar between the two of you, so you can heal or squeeze off a spell. I was able to get ornstein 2.0 in a loop by "teasing" his personal bubble - if you get too close, he does a smough-like buttstomp. Fall back when he rises into the air and pummel him with one good, heavy hit when he lands. If you can figure out how to trap him in this animation, he is very simple.

Don't forget to loot ornstein's ring if/when you kill him last.

Don't forget to purchase the armor set from Domhall in firelink afterwards.

Edit: I should mention that I make them sound easy. They aren't. You should be sprinting and guarding the whole battle, stopping only to heal, regen stamina, or squeeze off a quick attack. Keep your guard up and roll for the invincibility frames as needed.
---
GT: DEATHMETALGEAR / PSN: ray12a
#3DruskenPosted 5/14/2013 2:01:26 AM
I actual find them not hard to solo. I get to control them a bit more, keep them basically together while moving back and keeping those pillars between you and them. A bow isn't bad to have either. I like Ornstein to fight last, his attack don't seem to go through and around the pillars. Just stay on you toes at all time. Have fun.
#4aneed4peedPosted 5/14/2013 2:03:00 AM(edited)
Crest Shield is a bit meh against them. Try and farm the Silver Knight for their shield, best shield imo in the game.

Otherwise you look fine. Though tbh, you would be served better with a faster weapon than a Zwei (do you have another? and one that is possible Occult? cos' they both are weak to occult damage). And what are you stats like? Stats are more important than equipment.

EDIT: Remember the pillars.
---
a knock, a thud, a tiny...zwoosh, where?
Please, call me Aneed [http://i.imgur.com/DDzaw.jpg]
#5Lieutenant_FuzzPosted 5/14/2013 3:16:25 AM
You disgrace our lord Giantdad with your lowly divine zweihander.

The casul heretic will pay for his crimes in souls and humanity.
---
PSN: ShankerOfFaces
What are you, casul?
#6Kyuubi4269Posted 5/14/2013 3:20:19 AM
Giant set, dad mask, be unstoppable.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders
#7jeffhengPosted 5/14/2013 3:21:06 AM
try crossbow
---
Until the sky turns green, the grass is several shades of blue.
#8BeardedXBatman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 3:34:50 AM
beat them first try. actually did pretty well against them, too. i think i had over-prepared because people were telling me how hard they were. i kept as much distance as i could and took out smough first with pyromancy, then went toe to toe with ornstein using the zwei. took all of 5 minutes, only used 3 estus.

thanks for all the advice though!
---
XB Gamertag - BeardedXBatman
PSN ID - BeardedXBatman
#9ray12aPosted 5/14/2013 4:06:45 AM
BeardedXBatman posted...
beat them first try. actually did pretty well against them, too. i think i had over-prepared because people were telling me how hard they were. i kept as much distance as i could and took out smough first with pyromancy, then went toe to toe with ornstein using the zwei. took all of 5 minutes, only used 3 estus.

thanks for all the advice though!

Nice dude, well done
---
GT: DEATHMETALGEAR / PSN: ray12a
#10Stevo-PiratePosted 5/14/2013 4:18:53 AM
Summoned 2 sunbro's to defeat them my first playthrough.

...and again on my NG+.

O&S are a notorious difficulty spike. Congrats beating them first time!!