What if:

#1saxrohmerPosted 6/16/2013 5:14:28 PM
I was on a trip to the store today when it occurred to me that Pyro may have been initially designed with a cost in mind, but changed before release.

That cost may have been humanity. We know that by giving you the flame, Larry was giving you a "part of Himself", and when you get Fire Tempest Quelaana says that she has given you "all of herself"(or something similar).

It stands to reason that, given the bonuses you receive from chaos weapons and such, perhaps All Pyro spells may have used your "self" to power them.

So, if this had been the case in the finished game, would you still spam GC?
---
Speak not the Watchers, Draw not the Watchers, Write not the Watchers, Sculpt not the Watchers, Sing not the Watchers, Call not the Watchers' name
#2xCloudyxPosted 6/16/2013 5:19:39 PM(edited)
No. Either needing 20 or whatever humanity for a single firestorm or god knows how much for fire whip/surge would be OP in terms of blow jobing your humanity away.

Or the damage output would be OP in PvP against humanity farmers or MegaMulers.
---
(\ (O_O) /) Praise the sun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O1sH1N6n4
#3DagnothPosted 6/16/2013 5:20:09 PM
I hope you had someone drive you home after you thought up that theory, as you were clearly inebriated.
---
I feel a whole lot more like I do now then I did a while ago.
#4saxrohmer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 5:24:22 PM
I'm just speculating here, mind you. Maybe they couldn't find a way to balance it, or maybe I'm a crackpot.

If this was the case, and I had to balance it: I'd add a Humanity meter like the mp meter in DeS.

It would drain a small amount for smaller spells, and things like GCS would take about one whole Humanity.
---
Speak not the Watchers, Draw not the Watchers, Write not the Watchers, Sculpt not the Watchers, Sing not the Watchers, Call not the Watchers' name
#5saxrohmer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 5:27:43 PM
Dagnoth posted...
I hope you had someone drive you home after you thought up that theory, as you were clearly inebriated.

I think the theory that they had a cost in mind and then ditched it is pretty sound:

Quelaana warns you not to let the flame consume you, People outside(most likely the church) find this kind of magic "unsavory", there are other clues.
---
#6ZeroX91Posted 6/16/2013 5:28:05 PM
I like to think Quelaana was hittin' on me.
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWef0Ic_QE
#7AdarksoulPosted 6/16/2013 6:26:39 PM
it has always struck me as odd that there was no real cost to pyromancy, and there's a clear link between pyromancy and humanity so you could have a point, its just hardly anyone would use it so maybe they had to scrap that idea.
#8saxrohmer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 7:17:41 AM
ZeroX91 posted...
I like to think Quelaana was hittin' on me.

Well, you DID kill her mother...That's pretty hard to resist.
---
#9dyzePosted 6/17/2013 7:28:16 AM
Maybe, it was suppose to have a cost, and take your humanity into the negativs?

Since it's suppose to be unsavory and such. Giving you the ability to use it as much as you liked, but at the expens of diving further into negativ and having to fight to get back up.

Would've been kind of cool if humanity was what changed you between human and hollow, and as you kept using humanity, you became more and more hollow.

As in, it was an actual progression. Something like 10+ you'd be a human, with human form, and as you dropped below 10, you gradually turned hollow. Which each and every death you lost something like 1+ humanity, and you kept losing yourself. Which each number 0-9 you'd see a visual change on your toon.

Having Pyromancy drain humanity as-well would than be seen as unsavory, evil and unnatural.
Since as you'd gradually become more and more hollow, with a larger negativ humanity, you'd be more inclined to actually invade in order to rob others of humanity, to bring yours into a more natural state.

I think this would be a fun and lore friendly way of handling hollow/body form.
#10Casul346Posted 6/17/2013 8:22:50 PM
Dagnoth posted...

I think its pretty sound.

That little grey bar or white bar could represent one humanity. Each spell would use a chunk of that meter. When that meter went to 0, you lost a humanity from your counter. Some spells would use very little like fireball, chaos firestorm would use a lot.

Would be a cool mechanic, if humanity wasn't otherwise so screwed up.