Faith- I need some help.

#1TheBatesPosted 7/17/2013 7:08:57 AM
In the "-Dark Souls- Links for all your needs" stickied thread, the following recommendation is given for a faith build:

"4. Dedicated Faith (Cleric or Bandit SL125)
Vitality 50 (Diminishing returns > 50)
Attunement 19 (5 slots)
Endurance 40 (Max stamina)
Strength 16 (One-hand Clay and other basics / two-hand use of 24 Strength-req weapons)
Dexterity 13 (Permits use of numerous basic weapons)
Resistance 11 (Base)
Intelligence 8 (Base)
Faith 50 (Darkmoon Talisman viability, full access to entire Miracle arsenal)"

I have played through the game several times as both a Sorceror and a Strength-based character. I have a burning desire to start all over and make a Faith-based character, as I have not messed with Miracles in any way, shape or form. However, I am a little unsure about two things:

1. It seems that i's best to choose either the Cleric or the Bandit for a Faith build. What would you guys recommend? Why?

2. What stat should I focus on upgrading in the beginning of the game? Any suggestions as to what stats I should pump for the first, say, 30 levels?

Many, many thanks.
#2tlnPosted 7/17/2013 7:29:28 AM
13 DEX is an odd value to go for since there are very few weapons that require exactly 13 DEX. 14 DEX is better since it lets you use weapons like the Great Scythe.

Bandit or Cleric are the only two classes you should consider. It doesn't matter which you one you choose since both can reach the stats you desire.

Start with raising STR to 16 and DEX to 10 so you can use the Drake Sword. After that you should focus on VIT and END for a while. You won't be able to make the best Faith weapons until quite late in the game so I wouldn't bother with Faith until the end. The Gravelord Greatsword is a very good weapon if you can manage to get it early (two-hand it with 16 STR/13 DEX).
#3TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 7:39:52 AM
tln posted...
13 DEX is an odd value to go for since there are very few weapons that require exactly 13 DEX. 14 DEX is better since it lets you use weapons like the Great Scythe.

Bandit or Cleric are the only two classes you should consider. It doesn't matter which you one you choose since both can reach the stats you desire.

Start with raising STR to 16 and DEX to 10 so you can use the Drake Sword. After that you should focus on VIT and END for a while. You won't be able to make the best Faith weapons until quite late in the game so I wouldn't bother with Faith until the end. The Gravelord Greatsword is a very good weapon if you can manage to get it early (two-hand it with 16 STR/13 DEX).

I see- very helpful advice, thank you. So forget Faith until later on and concentrate on pumping Strength and Dexterity, and then Vitality and Endurance. At what point can I start to think about boosting Faith?

Oh, and how do you acquire the Gravelord Greatsword?

Any other general newbie Faith advice that anyone can muster?
#4Love-WilcoxPosted 7/17/2013 8:22:04 AM
This is my personal Faith build:

http://mmdks.com/36hd

Take from it what you will.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox
#5TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 8:59:07 AM
Love-Wilcox posted...

Why did you choose to start as a Sorceror?

OK folks- so I've been reading up about Faith in the archives of this board, and elsewhere on the net, and it seems that weapons that scale off of Faith don't start becoming useful until Faith is very high- about 50. One source even said that Faith characters are better off not pumping Faith too much at all, and just buffing their weapons with Faith miracles. There's also a line of thought that posits that Faith is only useful to raise if raised in tandem with Dexterity.

I am so confused. Can anyone vouch for the efficacy of raising Faith to 50?
#6WATAUGACJPosted 7/17/2013 9:02:48 AM
TheBates posted...
Love-Wilcox posted...

Why did you choose to start as a Sorceror?

OK folks- so I've been reading up about Faith in the archives of this board, and elsewhere on the net, and it seems that weapons that scale off of Faith don't start becoming useful until Faith is very high- about 50. One source even said that Faith characters are better off not pumping Faith too much at all, and just buffing their weapons with Faith miracles. There's also a line of thought that posits that Faith is only useful to raise if raised in tandem with Dexterity.

I am so confused. Can anyone vouch for the efficacy of raising Faith to 50?

For PvP, 50 fai is great because you get decent damage with Divine weapons (and Occult bows) and super powered WoG.

For PvE, I prefer 40 dex and 30 or 50 fai to buff for boss fights. In PvP buffs are sorta useless against good players as they will just evade for the 60 secs.
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena, IndianLoveCat
It's f*** all y'all season.
#7Love-WilcoxPosted 7/17/2013 9:12:21 AM
Believe it or not at those stats a Sorcerer or Pyromancer is what's best.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox
#8TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 9:22:51 AM
WATAUGACJ posted...

For PvP, 50 fai is great because you get decent damage with Divine weapons (and Occult bows) and super powered WoG.

For PvE, I prefer 40 dex and 30 or 50 fai to buff for boss fights. In PvP buffs are sorta useless against good players as they will just evade for the 60 secs.

Wow, 40 Dex is significantly higher than the 12 or so that the build in this forum's sticky suggests. What stats would you suggest I refrain from raising in order to have enough points to raise Dex to 40?

Also, why does having 40 Dex help with buffing if it's the Faith stat that determines the power of the buff?
#9haarlem1982Posted 7/17/2013 9:26:13 AM
TheBates posted...
WATAUGACJ posted...

Wow, 40 Dex is significantly higher than the 12 or so that the build in this forum's sticky suggests. What stats would you suggest I refrain from raising in order to have enough points to raise Dex to 40?

Also, why does having 40 Dex help with buffing if it's the Faith stat that determines the power of the buff?

Because when the buff runs out, you'll still want your weapon to do damage.
---
You need people like me so you can point your f***ing fingers, and say: that's the bad guy.
psn demonchild82, MILFeaterManfred, ScrubbyMcCasul
#10WATAUGACJPosted 7/17/2013 9:29:30 AM
TheBates posted...
WATAUGACJ posted...

For a PvE build 40 dex and 30 fai is fine. You could go 40/16/40/14/40/-/-/30 and still be >sl120.

Also if you're not worried about overleveling you could then push fai up to 50 for more buff power.
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena, IndianLoveCat
It's f*** all y'all season.