PC vs. PS3

#1SergeantJamjarsPosted 7/17/2013 1:13:38 PM
Hey guys, not tryin to start a console war or whatever but I wanted some opinions..so I have been wanting to buy the DLC for quite sometime now, am a huge fan of vanilla DkS

Steam has a wonderful sale on it for 7.49 right now and I am very tempted to do that b/c it is double on PSN. The PC boards are a bit empty so I was wondering what y'all thought of the PC version as compared to the PS3 vanilla.

Is there a strong online community on PC?

Is that cruddy Blightown lag situation fixed?

I have a strong enough desktop to easily run this so that isnt an issue, I can also attach my PS3 controller to my comp and play as well (doin that for Dishonored)

Help appreciated, thanks!
---
"The moon is just the sun at night" - Black Sabbath
3DS FC: 3909 - 8809 - 2854, PS3: NinjaChildPrime
#2fisheye11Posted 7/17/2013 1:17:10 PM
i'm almost more inclined to go PS3 over PC in most cases. but the steam deal today is a damn good steal. i don't know how the community is for PC though. i can only tell you what i see on NL stream. and he invades with no problem.

i say go with PC on this one. but only because of the deal on steam.
---
I don't always play Dark Souls. But when I do, I play offline. Stay Hollow my friends.
#3spikes_dimakPosted 7/17/2013 1:21:22 PM
If you want pvp I hear pc is very slow. I still get instavasions all day on ps3 when in the right zones at the right level.

On twitch persay there are more fight clubs and streamers then on Pc
---
PSN: spikespiegels and spikes_the_dude
Still playing dork souls jolly co-op, 2v2s, dueling, random invasions and casting sometimes twitch.tv/spikespiegel7
#4JPEGmeisterPosted 7/17/2013 1:51:50 PM
I play PC. I'll start with the bad.

Connectivity is iffy. You have to deal with hackers relatively often when pvping. Talking about having unlimited divine blessings and the like. People with unlimited health and cursed weapons etc. is rare. If you're unlucky you may run into someone who lowers your stats, and permanently teleports your character underneath new londo. (If someone named "FunTimeIsOver" invades your game, alt+4 immediately).

Less people play overall, but pvp seems to have less scrubs than console versions. If you want glorious 60fps you have to use a mod (dsfix) that will eat your computer if it's low end. Said mod also fixes texture issues. There are done mods that make kb+m usable, but a controller is optimal obviously. Download motionjoy if you want to use a ps3 controller.

The good is that it's cheaper, easier to mod, and can run better and look better if you have a computer that can handle the load.

If you're buying the PC version for the dlc only....that might be alright if you aren't looking to make the PC version your main. If I had a choice between using a ps3 or a PC for this game, I'd definitely choose the console. It's a bad port, and my computer can't run the mods to fix some of it's problems. Even with the fps and textures fixed, you still have a smaller player base that seems worse them it actually is because of the connectivity problems.

tl;dr: I would shell out the extra money to play the dlc on the ps3 if you have the choice between PC and console.
#5FoaloalPosted 7/17/2013 2:40:43 PM(edited)
My opinion is better than everyone else's.

PC version is the definitive version, with the necessary DSFix mod you can access 1080P or higher resolution graphics along with easy down sampling for smoothed edges (antialiasing).

You can also enable a smoothed frame rate. Whereas the console versions either output 30fps or 15fps, the DSFix mod allows you to output whatever your PC is capable of, meaning variable frame rates are possible (the game will drop to say 28fps instead of going straight to 15fps). You can also play at 60fps or even 120fps if you have a compatie monitor, along with the ability to play in eyefinity resolutions.

So graphically the PC version makes the console versions look like garbage.

Now onto connectivity, people talk about the PC community being smaller or it being harder to find matches, but never do they have any actual stats to back up these statements.

Not only can you get a mod called DSCfix which allows you to easily connect to anybody on your friends list, but the community itself is more than active enough. Even at 4am on a weekday I can find matches, so I don't see any issue in those regards.

At $7.50 the PC version is a steal, it would be worth double the price of the console version to me.

The only negative is gfwl, but if you already have a 360 along with friends who you want to chat with it can be more of a positive than a negative.

Edit: and I've seen 2 cheaters in the 1000+ matches I've played so I really don't believe that "hackers" are any bigger of an issue than they are in consoles, where I hear people complaining frequently about modded weapons and stats.
#6dorsman84Posted 7/17/2013 3:29:43 PM
Foaloal posted...
My opinion is better than everyone else's.

PC version is the definitive version, with the necessary DSFix mod you can access 1080P or higher resolution graphics along with easy down sampling for smoothed edges (antialiasing).

You can also enable a smoothed frame rate. Whereas the console versions either output 30fps or 15fps, the DSFix mod allows you to output whatever your PC is capable of, meaning variable frame rates are possible (the game will drop to say 28fps instead of going straight to 15fps). You can also play at 60fps or even 120fps if you have a compatie monitor, along with the ability to play in eyefinity resolutions.

So graphically the PC version makes the console versions look like garbage.

Now onto connectivity, people talk about the PC community being smaller or it being harder to find matches, but never do they have any actual stats to back up these statements.

Not only can you get a mod called DSCfix which allows you to easily connect to anybody on your friends list, but the community itself is more than active enough. Even at 4am on a weekday I can find matches, so I don't see any issue in those regards.

At $7.50 the PC version is a steal, it would be worth double the price of the console version to me.

The only negative is gfwl, but if you already have a 360 along with friends who you want to chat with it can be more of a positive than a negative.

Edit: and I've seen 2 cheaters in the 1000+ matches I've played so I really don't believe that "hackers" are any bigger of an issue than they are in consoles, where I hear people complaining frequently about modded weapons and stats.

All of this is correct except I can confirm the community is very small. I've never seen more than 4500 players on at a time. The mods are great though and at that price why not buy it and mess around and see what you think.
---
PSN, Steam, Xbox Live, Miiverse: pharmy
#7WATAUGACJPosted 7/17/2013 3:37:44 PM
PC: Single-Player
PS3: Multiplayer
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena, IndianLoveCat
It's f*** all y'all season.
#8SlopWilliamsPosted 7/17/2013 5:42:37 PM
PS3. Mainly because that's where the Souls series truly belongs. Sure it's fine elsewhere, but so's Coke, and that's truly American.
#9sciicersPosted 7/18/2013 3:16:43 AM
SlopWilliams posted...
PS3. Mainly because that's where the Souls series truly belongs. Sure it's fine elsewhere, but so's Coke, and that's truly American.

What an idiotic statement

The community is really not big on pc and there are virtually hackers everywhere
But the lag on ps3 makes it also unplayable for me there, lagstabs all the time
But make some posts on forums and you will find some nice people
As already said with a little work it will look really good on pc and with a controller plays exactly the same
---
Why dost thee hurry toward thine death?
GT: Jesaiya PSN: sciicers
#10valkod23Posted 7/18/2013 3:22:03 AM
sciicers posted...
SlopWilliams posted...

What an idiotic statement

The community is really not big on pc and there are virtually hackers everywhere
But the lag on ps3 makes it also unplayable for me there, lagstabs all the time
But make some posts on forums and you will find some nice people
As already said with a little work it will look really good on pc and with a controller plays exactly the same

Looking good and playing the same are not reasons to deal with the rampant hackers. Stick with the PS3 version, it'll be far less frustrating.
---
PSN: Valkod
Playing Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.