so, in finally beat the game... and just ONE thing bugs me...

#21KrokbergPosted 10/13/2013 3:02:23 AM
While I agree on the parrying part, I completely disagree on the introduction part. Nothing in the game compares to the sheer waterfall of emotions you get the first time you enter the fog gate and those first few notes of the music play while he starts running at you. Sometimes less is more, and in this case it certainly is in my opinion, something often forgotten in video games, but something that Dark Souls embraces.
#22SeefourdcPosted 10/13/2013 4:41:56 AM
The Bed of Chaos was an unfinished boss. They had to rush it out because they ran out of time. It was one of two disappointments from the original lead developer on the game. The other was oolacile not getting in which was an original part of the game but they added the DLC for that.
#23Ryan_SilverFoxPosted 10/13/2013 5:09:20 AM
Don't think Gwyn's fight wasn't epic without a cool intro? Well, allow me to recount my first encounter with the God King... you might reconsider...

...and yeah, a message did let me know I could parry him ahead of time...

After a trek through the ashen ruins, I finally reached the fog door. Anxious to face the king of Lordran, I pressed through the mists and took in the sight... the open area around me where a mighty flame once burned fiercely, now just a small fire in the center, illuminating the room. Sitting in front of the flame sat Gwyn, now too a flicker of his former self... a sad shell of the god who ushered in the light.

Without a word, the king stood, turned and began to walk towards me, blade in hand. Showing my bravery and resolve, I too began to walk forward, ready to face Gwyn head-on. One... two... three silent seconds, we strode stoicly towards each other, swords ready to clash. Suddenly, Gwyn surged forward, leaping into the air to deliver the opening (and hopefully closing) strike. I stopped in my place, planted my feet into the ground and, remembering the advice I had seen scrawled in ethereal text on the path to the kiln, I tightened my grip on the handle of my shield. Despite the shield on my left and my great curved blade over my shoulder on the right, I stood, apparently, defenseless as Gwyn's mighty sword bared down upon me...

In a flash, my shield arm rose to meet his leaping slash. Blade and shield collided with an explosive crash, the walls of the kiln (and the foundation of Lordran itself) shaking from the great clash. Stunned that the power of the gods was not enough to fell one man, Gwyn was not prepared as the great blade came off my shoulder and collided with his stomach. Winded, the king of gods fell to his knees as my sword wound back and swung again, launching Gwyn, Lord of Cinder away and on his back.

As the great lord rose to his feet, I knew that this battle was far from over.
#24Grimmgamer13Posted 10/13/2013 9:28:17 AM
Ryan_SilverFox posted...
Don't think Gwyn's fight wasn't epic without a cool intro? Well, allow me to recount my first encounter with the God King... you might reconsider...

After a trek through the ashen ruins, I finally reached the fog door. Anxious to face the king of Lordran, I pressed through the mists and took in the sight... the open area around me where a mighty flame once burned fiercely, now just a small fire in the center, illuminating the room. Sitting in front of the flame sat Gwyn, now too a flicker of his former self... a sad shell of the god who ushered in the light.

Without a word, the king stood, turned and began to walk towards me, blade in hand. Showing my bravery and resolve, I too began to walk forward, ready to face Gwyn head-on. One... two... three silent seconds, we strode stoicly towards each other, swords ready to clash. Suddenly, Gwyn surged forward, leaping into the air to deliver the opening (and hopefully closing) strike. I stopped in my place, planted my feet into the ground and, remembering the advice I had seen scrawled in ethereal text on the path to the kiln, I tightened my grip on the handle of my shield. Despite the shield on my left and my great curved blade over my shoulder on the right, I stood, apparently, defenseless as Gwyn's mighty sword bared down upon me...

In a flash, my shield arm rose to meet his leaping slash. Blade and shield collided with an explosive crash, the walls of the kiln (and the foundation of Lordran itself) shaking from the great clash. Stunned that the power of the gods was not enough to fell one man, Gwyn was not prepared as the great blade came off my shoulder and collided with his stomach. Winded, the king of gods fell to his knees as my sword wound back and swung again, launching Gwyn, Lord of Cinder away and on his back.

Nice! This reads like a preview chapter in a book lol.
#25NightmareGamma(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 12:48:16 PM
Ryan_SilverFox posted...

That actually reads pretty great!

You should write down your whole experience of the entire game!

Well, the problem i had:
I entered the fog, and the Boss came to me.
I fought him, I saw he has a boss gauge, but still...
I only find out it was Gwyn after I died and looked at his name...
my first thought when I read his name?
"That is Gwyn? No proper introduction? Could that be the last Boss?"
I was thrilled at first, dispite the fact he had no introduction, but finding out that he is parryable just like any other NPC like enemy, together with the fact that I not even get an Outro of him, like he, crawling back to the fire, reaching his hand out to it and then fade away before he made it...
it was so chastening to not see anything... he was just like any other NPC, just more powerful and with an awesome track that plays i the background... he didn't even throw his famous sunlight Spears (which could be because he is hollow, but many hollowed Enemys can use their spells after they gone hollow)...

Maybe I had too much expectations after I played the DLC, which had Proper INtroductions for 3 of the 4 Bosses...

Like I said, I had a great time with the game and it's story, and I#m reading and watching a lot of Lore text and videos about the story, in order to try to fully understand, or at least as good as possible.

but the boss fight with just nothing special to me. If it wouldn't be for the burning sword and the awesome Music, it could have been just another NPC...

But that is just my opinion... I can do understand why people love this Boss actually!
---