Still tryin' to figure out how this is a good game...

#1Drkr_ZenPosted 2/23/2014 12:09:00 AM
Why does it get praised for its difficulty when it simply boils down to a game that's one huge trial and error process mixed in with so many factors that only favor the enemy? That sounds more unbalanced than praise worthy.

Its a solid gameplay system. I enjoy the methodical approach, as I did in Demon's Souls, but there's a huge difference between challenging and annoying. The latter of which Dark Souls is. In Demon's Souls, you always felt you made progress... if you killed 2 enemies, then returned, you went back to fighting that 3rd enemy that killed you and, hopefully, progressing.

Dark Souls, though? Let's respawn everything every time you die so you have to do the same thing again, again and again.

And, you can't even enjoy the game in human form, as an overleveled phantom joins your group, with endgame gear, and one shots you. I spent an hour unlocking co-op to join a pair of friends, only to get invaded 5 minutes later and proceeded to one shot each of us.

If they wanted to force a PvP game on us... why not make only a PvP game? Hell, I'm alright with a Red Phantom invading my group, even though I prefer PvE, but why have someone so overleveled allowed to join 3 people that have a combined playtime of 10 hours? lol Unbalanced comes to mind, yet again.

Again, there's a fine balance to challenge and difficulty. The player needs to feel they're being rewarded for their time, the enemies need to put up a fight, but also the player needs to feel a fight is possible to win. Perfect examples are most games made by Hideki Kamiya, heh, but I digress.

I guess this is just a rant based on their poor design choices regarding forced network features, but mostly it was about confusion over praise for its unbalanced difficulty.
---
Playing: MGR:R, BL2, The Last of Us, Gunman's Proof, FFXIV:ARR
GOTY: Bayonetta (2010) DX:HR (2011) Borderlands 2 (2012) BS: Infinite (2013)
#2saxrohmerPosted 2/23/2014 12:16:22 AM
Drkr_Zen posted...

In Demon's Souls, you always felt you made progress... if you killed 2 enemies, then returned, you went back to fighting that 3rd enemy that killed you and, hopefully, progressing.

Which Demon's Souls did you play? Enemies respawned when you died or left an area in that too. The bonfire system is more forgiving, if anything.

Also, there is no forced PvP.
---
No bad places, One has no uses for abuses.
#3Gwyns_BeardPosted 2/23/2014 12:29:11 AM
Because taste is subjective.
---
Skeletal bell toller. Handle in each of my tentacles.
#4OdensRav3nPosted 2/23/2014 12:43:20 AM
The damn box says "prepare to die" all over it.
---
:: PSN: c0rstenwgf ::
"Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."
#5Eddo_CPosted 2/23/2014 12:43:27 AM
Not sure if trolling, but every time people make these topics, they fail to really make a point. And the points made are either trivial, or simply inaccurate.

You ask why this game is good, but all you could name is points that make the game weak. Lack of faults in a game don't make it a good game, it merely makes it an average game which isn't bad. You basically didn't understand what made the game good, so you didn't really made a point. The issues you raise is an nuisance at best, even if they are valid (they are not).

Only once or twice had I seen people criticizing the aspects that gave DkS praise, and I guess it is totally valid but in the end, it was matter of taste, not execution.
---
You're pretty radical, can I fill your valence?
#6R1masherPosted 2/23/2014 1:16:17 AM
#weakasstroll
---
R1R1R1R1R1R1
#7TCrinaleTPosted 2/23/2014 1:49:31 AM(edited)
Drkr_Zen posted...
Why does it get praised for its difficulty when it simply boils down to a game that's one huge trial and error process

This makes absolutely no sense. Name one game that is not trial and error? Or maybe there is a game out there I that I don't know about that the more you play the harder it becomes?
---
"You stand before the final dimension, and I'm the darkness of eternity"
4313-1007-7697
#8KulthPosted 2/23/2014 2:00:26 AM
TCrinaleT posted...
Drkr_Zen posted...
Why does it get praised for its difficulty when it simply boils down to a game that's one huge trial and error process

This makes absolutely no sense. Name one game that is not trial and error? Or maybe there is a game out there I that I don't know about that the more you play the harder it becomes?

Pretty much everything in the world is trial and error. You fight a boss and try to use Blizzaga and find out it's resistant to ice? Trial and error. You run around a corner and get ambushed by an enemy you didn't know was there? Trial and error.

You cooked a pizza for twelve minutes instead of the recommended ten and it burnt? Trial and error. You tried to take a curve at 100 mph instead of slowing down to 30 mph and crashed? Trial and error.

OP just seems mad that he isn't god tier skill level yet and decides to blame the game with BS claims of trial and error. Yeah, Dark Souls loses a lot of the challenge once you know what the hell you're doing. I can attest to that. When I first got the game and made new characters, I'd still mess up on dodge rolling the Asylum Demon's attacks. Now, I rarely ever even get hit.

If you're going to complain about a game losing it's difficulty the longer you play it, then you should stop playing video games altogether.

No sense in responding seriously though, OP is trollin', because there's no possible way someone can genuinely believe that Dark Souls is a terrible game because you "learn the more you play".
#9RepinkradPosted 2/23/2014 2:30:11 AM
People think it's "hard" because of how easy and forgiving modern games are to compare it to and that it doesn't handhold you like other games do, they think they're all "hardcore" for playing Dark Souls when the game isn't even that challenging. It's only "hard" the first time when you fall for traps and enemy ambushes but once you beat the game it becomes more of a cakewalk with each playthrough.

Honestly, this is one of those games that actually uses "artificial difficulty" to make the game look hard.
#10Esky8Posted 2/23/2014 2:48:50 AM
Eddo_C posted...
Not sure if trolling, but every time people make these topics, they fail to really make a point. And the points made are either trivial, or simply inaccurate.

You ask why this game is good, but all you could name is points that make the game weak. Lack of faults in a game don't make it a good game, it merely makes it an average game which isn't bad. You basically didn't understand what made the game good, so you didn't really made a point. The issues you raise is an nuisance at best, even if they are valid (they are not).

Only once or twice had I seen people criticizing the aspects that gave DkS praise, and I guess it is totally valid but in the end, it was matter of taste, not execution.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with TC, but it seems to me they've highlighted many aspects of the game's design that limit (if not ruin) their enjoyment of the experience.

If the TC doesn't feel rewarded by the game's structure or finds over-leveled PVP invasions tedious, then how is that not a 'valid' criticism?

I thought TC attempted to be even-handed in highlighting what they didn't like about the game and how they preferred the prequel for reasons X, Y and Z. It's a shame that any critique has to be prefaced by 'I don't mean to troll, but...'