Need help deciding STR weapon

#1Drag_ZEROPosted 6/7/2014 4:40:58 PM(edited)
So I started a STR build and am pretty early on. I have 32 STR, 18 DEX right now. I've collected a mass of STR weapons I hear people talk about, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to use.

I have a Demon's Greataxe, a Demon Great Machete, and a Great Club. I also am open to the Manserpent Greatsword which I have yet to get to drop. Less so for the Black Knight Greataxe, as the only shot I have at it is the one in the Catacombs.

I can't really decide which to use. Its such a hard decision. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm strictly a PVE player
---
One of these days, Valve will confirm Half-Life 3, but nobody will believe them and assume its another ruse.
#2KDTProjektPosted 6/7/2014 5:41:03 PM
Your stats currently cater to the black knight weapons....you could go 50 vit, 40ish end, 40 str,and 40 dex and gain the ability to effectively use all strength, dex, and quality weapons in the game at a whim.

Man-sepent greatsword is pprobably my favorite strength weapon.
#3FreakOnHeelsPosted 6/7/2014 11:04:57 PM
Demon Great Machete is tons of fun...

I personally love the Zweihander just for it's R2...
---
PSN: FreakOnHeels
#4foppehenkPosted 6/8/2014 12:49:51 AM
great club for a slow swing speed weapon (a demon's greataxe which weighs 10 units more, will only provide about 15 more AR)

manserpent-greatsword for a quicker swing speed weapon

you will also be able to wield the black knight greataxe, which is a unique sort of greataxe with an attack bonus versus demon type enemies. it has quick attacks, which are more comparable in damage output to greatswords than to the other ultra heavy weapons. it upgrades with twinkling titanite, which you can purchase, and won't interfere with upgrading your other weapons.
---
psn: foppehenk, hoekende
http://youtu.be/qfZ6PLvzlVg
#5shooterman1243Posted 6/8/2014 2:12:27 AM
Consider the large club (not great club)
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2938222

I much prefer is moveset and it has better scaling
#6smough420Posted 6/8/2014 4:57:01 AM
39 str and smough's hammer
#7Drag_ZERO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 7:39:35 AM
One thing that I forgot to mention in the heading is that this playthrough of mine is going to be this first run one only. So I don't think I'll be able to one hand a lot of the STR weapons, especially the Demon's Greataxe (potentially the Machete as well). Additionally, for weapons that have high scaling and pass at high stats, I might not reach those; honestly I can't see going much higher in STR since I want to max out END, although I might go to 38 if I manage to get the BKGA to drop.

I suppose that flexibility gives the club an advantage as I can one-hand or two-hand those.....but I still wanna know.

Basically, with a STR of 32 or *MAYBE* 38, does that change anybody's input? For example, Demons Greataxe has an A scaling, so maybe it only overtakes the club at a higher STR than I'll reach? Something like that.
---
One of these days, Valve will confirm Half-Life 3, but nobody will believe them and assume its another ruse.
#8KDTProjektPosted 6/8/2014 7:57:06 AM
Drag_ZERO posted...
One thing that I forgot to mention in the heading is that this playthrough of mine is going to be this first run one only. So I don't think I'll be able to one hand a lot of the STR weapons, especially the Demon's Greataxe (potentially the Machete as well). Additionally, for weapons that have high scaling and pass at high stats, I might not reach those; honestly I can't see going much higher in STR since I want to max out END, although I might go to 38 if I manage to get the BKGA to drop.

I suppose that flexibility gives the club an advantage as I can one-hand or two-hand those.....but I still wanna know.

Basically, with a STR of 32 or *MAYBE* 38, does that change anybody's input? For example, Demons Greataxe has an A scaling, so maybe it only overtakes the club at a higher STR than I'll reach? Something like that.

If you go to 38 STR, you might as well go to 39 to 2-hand Smoughs hammer, or 40 to 1-hand Demon's Great Machete. Although 2-handing is generally better....especially with STR weapons.
#9Drag_ZERO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 10:19:33 AM(edited)
I think I'll go with the Great Club because 1) I don't need to farm for it, 2) it weighs a lot less than many of the other choices, and 3) the Damage Calculator seems to say it'll be one of the highest damaging weapons despite its low weight. Plus the moveset seems alright.

But now a question: should I make it Lightning or Fire, or just keep it Normal? For my other builds my weapons had really high scaling so the choice was obvious to just go Normal +15, but I'm not sure for the Great Club. The damage calculator is confusing me a bit, but it *seems* normal will do 575 one hand and 646 two-handed. Lightning will do 674 (doesn't change for two hand for some reason), and Fire will do 648 (doesn't change for one v two hand for some reason). So on paper it looks like I should go for lightning, but I'm not sure

Thoughts?
---
#10foppehenkPosted 6/8/2014 11:17:16 AM
normal. your cumulative attack rating may be less, but you're dealing more damage because you only have to pass through one (physical) defense stat. only if say you had 19 strength (the bare minimum for two-handing a great club), upgrading with chaos or lightning would be beneficial. split damage is only rarely the better choice.
---
psn: foppehenk, hoekende
http://youtu.be/qfZ6PLvzlVg