PSO2: Good or Bad?

#1ShadowRoy888Posted 9/30/2010 4:10:31 PM
"Huh? WHAT?!?!?! THEYRE GONNA MAKE PSO2?!!?!?" *que cheesy M. Bison "YES!"*

I am a HUGE pso fan, I've been trying to find ways to play online on that game without the schthack server, or without spending $50-179 for a broadband adapter. But finding out that they're going to make PSO2, I'm probably going to drop all of that.

BUT WAIT. What if PSO2 turns out to be crap?

If it does, there's three words that would be the blame. "PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE." While Phantasy Star Portable 1 (technically Universe games) was decent and 2 was better, the other ones were crap. So what if they made the game like Universe? That would ruin it all. Plus, what if it only comes out for the computer? I don't know about you guys, but I don't want this turning into a World-of-Warcraft-type thing, where it's $15 a month and it takes up half of your hard drive. Also, what if the servers aren't up for long at all?

I don't want to be optimistic, but this release is starting to scare me. What about your thoughts? Give me some thoughts!
#2MadDewgPosted 9/30/2010 4:27:43 PM
I'm hoping sega does the smart thing, and keep what is best from both series to make the perfect PSO game.

Here is the dream list of the stuff I want:

PSO's style lobbies, that simple way of setting of games was perfect, go do some levels, finish off the party with a mission, then remake game.....nice and quick.

PSO section ID system was hot, it just was broken in the past IMO, but if they balanced the drops out this would be hot.

PSO's extra attack button. This is one thing I want them to bring back, rares really felt like rares when you had something like a lavis cannon shooting waves.

PSO's style levels. Forest, Caves, Mines etc., that was perfect too IMO. This time with more space, we could have at least 12 to 16 levels from the get.

Now from PSU (phantasy star portable 2 mainly), I want PSO2 to keep:

PSU's combat. It never gets old, just attacking/blocking/countering/and rolling, keep it all please. That also goes from nanoblasts, SUVS, and mirage blasts.

PSU's difficulty, maaaan those missions before the the expansion nerf was nuts difficulty wise.......and I love punishment, I want the game to be as hard as possible, it gives forces and rangers a purpose, and it was good. Phantasy star portable 2 also has nice difficulty that I would want in PSO2.

And finally, keep PSU's race and job system (from portable 2). You got hunter/ranger/force/ and vanguard, with custom abilities and the ability to use whatever the hell job you want on whatever race. portable 2 did this part great.

If sega did all this, I swear to god PSO2 would be the perfect online rpg ever, I wouldn't even give a damn about diablo 3.
---
Brawl code 0817-3426-1930, GamerTag:MadDogg730, PSN:lMadDogg, playin' the crap out of left 4 dead 2, PSU, and little big planet.
#3Mister_FeenyPosted 9/30/2010 5:05:37 PM
PSU had a bad launch, but once AotI came out, it was vastly superior to PSO, in everything but music, enemy design, and the areas.
---
Soundwave: Superior
http://i.imgur.com/k7GC9.jpg
#4Arcell_GarzaPosted 9/30/2010 5:17:08 PM
PSU was never better than PSO IMO. The online community simply played the hell out of the latest mission(s) and didn't bother with anything else unless it was rare hunting. Then again I played a Fortegunner/Guntecher Human so I generally got shafted a ton on PSU. Gunning gameplay being nothing more than hitting X, photon arts being nothing more than different colored bullets and Humans having no special to speak of just made it unpleasant to play for me.

PSP2 and PS0(zero) seem like they're much better than PSO or PSU. Judging on that I'd say that PSO2 will simply be fantastic.
---
Monster Hunter Tri - Arcell (LLEQ3Q)
#5ZerothmaPosted 9/30/2010 6:27:31 PM
PSO1&2>PSO3>PS0>PSU

However, the Ambition expansion made PSU into what it should have been in the first place. It was much better with that expansion. I've probably spent at least 100 hours on PSU, and that is by far the least time I spent on all of them.

---
4 8 15 16 23 42
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto.
#6chrishu311Posted 10/2/2010 1:36:11 AM
PSU did a few things right. If anything, though, it had TOO MANY missions. It wasn't very fun to explore at all the way CCA was, or even Forest. Having long interconnected dungeons would be the best; just give us more than the 8 PSO 1&2 gave us. And OF COURSE rehash all 8 of the original levels in their entirety, not in the **** half-ass emulation that PSU tries.

Photon Arts can return, chaining can return, dodge rolling and perfect blocks should return, the customization and clothes should return... but the FEEL of the game should be the same.

Loot should act like... PSU. Let's face it, there were more items and you could use more than just a Frozen Shooter to be effective.

The job system is... admittedly better in PSU. But I'm at a standstill here. I love the PSO classes; those character archetypes made us fall in love with our characters. I think keeping the PSO class system but giving us all more than one outfit is a good idea. Maybe implement the race/class system from PSU, but change your characters allowed outfits when you change classes? Idk.

PSO2 needs to be PSO, no doubt, but ignoring the improvements made would be ridiculous. I think focusing on giving PSO2 the same magic as the original would be the best idea, then implementing gameplay changes as need would be best. So long as that love is there, I'll be happy.

---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#7chrishu311Posted 10/2/2010 1:38:00 AM
Also, seeing the recent failures of so many MMOs (especially FF14....) worries me greatly, but PSO is a different animal from the others. It's basically an MORPG, and I like it.
---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#8taxonomicPosted 10/3/2010 1:50:32 AM

PSU had one glaring fault: Too little content.

I played it from November of '06 to the day it closed, and to be honest I only played it when new patches came out or events started. The locked off content, the fact that the JP market got everything and the west was treated like a redheaded stepchild really irked me.

Sega has never cared much for the US market.

#9LaManoNeraIIPosted 10/4/2010 3:16:01 PM
Well Phantasy Star Zero (kind of a spiritual sequel to PSO) was great and definitely had the PSO charm missing from PSU and that was on a handheld. I think Sega will do right with PSO 2.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#10Mister_FeenyPosted 10/4/2010 11:56:49 PM

PSU had one glaring fault: Too little content.

I played it from November of '06 to the day it closed, and to be honest I only played it when new patches came out or events started. The locked off content, the fact that the JP market got everything and the west was treated like a redheaded stepchild really irked me.

Sega has never cared much for the US market.

Yeah. The game itself was great once AotI came out, it was just SoA's standard incompetence that ruined it. It didn't help that the launch was terrible, and turned off mostly everyone who played it, not just the PSO-nostalgia crowd, to a point that was practically impossible to recover from.
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Mister_Feeny | http://www.last.fm/user/nabiki87
http://imgur.com/zF3fZ.png