Best level to find gold ore?

#1DarkFlow9Posted 4/2/2011 10:39:31 PM
I have been searching for the answer to this question and still have not found any exact answer so i am wondering what is the best level to find gold are at? I know what your thinking, " who actually wants gold ore. Its almost useless!" Well the reason i ask is for certain mods i have installed gold is very useful to me.

The main point of this is is: what is the best level to find gold ore?

"PS i understand branch mining and if that is the best way to find gold ore then please state that. Also, if there are any other specific techniques to find gold rather than digging one straight path on a certain level than please state that as well

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this question for me.
#2everblue2er101Posted 4/2/2011 10:44:20 PM
The Minecraft wiki says below level 32. I find when I go diamond mining around level 12 I find some gold ore
#3That_70s_showPosted 4/2/2011 10:51:28 PM
I would recommend you branch mine at around 12-16ish. That way you can get gold and diamonds.
---
http://seitoacademy.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/ayu-kanon.jpg
Crusaders of Love <3 ~Uguu~
#4PDGMTGPosted 4/2/2011 10:53:18 PM
I couldn't really say. I just go down deep until I reach a level I feel I can find diamond, and branch mine. I always explore caves when I find them too. I normally find gold about twice as often as diamond doing this.
---
-Just Some Random
TheSocialRev.com
#5DarkFlow9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2011 11:52:42 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone :D

But i would also like to know if, by a mathematical standpoint, is there a specifc level where gold is most common. Or does gold have the same percentage of appearing on several levels?

Has anyone ever found out mathematically which level is the best for gold?

I will probably just branch mine at a lower level so that i can find diamond as well but i am still very curious on finding out what this "magical y coord for finding gold" is.

Ultimatly, if this specific gold finding level does exist then would branch mining further increase my chance of finding gold, mathematically speaking of course.
#6T_800Posted 4/3/2011 12:13:12 AM
on the minecraft wiki it tells you. Personally I only find gold around lava and water.
---
gt: tominater12
#7Shifter1178Posted 4/3/2011 12:18:23 AM
I thought it was completely random...I've found gold/diamond at the lowest level..and then much higher up..

Sometimes I think noone REALLY knows much about how this thing actually works :)
#8T_800Posted 4/3/2011 12:29:43 AM

I thought it was completely random...I've found gold/diamond at the lowest level..and then much higher up..

Sometimes I think noone REALLY knows much about how this thing actually works :)

It is random but the percentage increases as you go lower until you hit the "sweet spot".
---
#9DarkFlow9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2011 8:29:48 AM
I still can't find an answer to this question O_O. All the wiki told me is that it is found at .1% chance of being found below level 32 but does this mean that all levels below 32 will have the same percentages?

And if so after doing several calculations I have found out that with a diamond pick, at any level below 32 (supposing they all have the same percent of finding gold) then you will find around 19.3 pieces of gold per diamond pick, mathematically speaking. That being said, it would appear right now that the best way is to also look for diamonds so that you can efficiently gather gold at the same time. Be that as it may I mostly use stone which i have calculated to around 1.6 gold ores per pick which 5 picks will give me a whole number of eight ores.

Anyone know a mod or something that can calculate this?

Still my question will always be, does anyone know what the best level to find gold ore is? And what proof can you offer to support the claim?

PS if anyone wants to see the formula i have used to calculate this and confirm that my formula is correct then I will post it soon at the request of others.
#10T_800Posted 4/3/2011 12:31:24 PM
There is no "best level" after a certain level like 32 they become just "less rare". There really is not efficient way to find a ton of gold ore. It is pretty useless anyways.
---