How is Ethos' Blaze grinder supposed to give experience? Plus other questions.

#1HorithPosted 2/3/2012 3:14:44 PM
I'm about to venture into the Nether to find a fortress, as I really want to start brewing (apparently my friends don't have anyone that wants to bother with it). I've already seen Ethos' Blaze grinder video, which seems simple enough to build once I actually conquer the spawner in the first place. The problem is, I also want it as an experience grinder, since if I'm farming Blaze Rods I might as well get a few levels out of it, but I'm not sure how to make the appropriate conversion. Is it just as simple as taking out the bottom glass panel and punching them while they're suffocating, or is there more to it, and is making such a conversion safe to do?

Other questions:
One of my friends told me that Nether Wart can only be farmed inside a fortress. I know it can only be initially found inside one, but I thought I could plant a farm of Soul Sand near my portal and grow it just fine, so long as there wasn't any Glowstone above it to cause the bug.

My current experience grinder is a simple zombie fall trap near a spawner. I let it run for about four hours last night, and when I came back, there were obviously a ton of zombies at the bottom. However, killing them all only pushed my level up from 19 to 36. Is there any better way to improve this trap for experience grinding that won't force me to leave my laptop on for hours on end? It seemed like it was fine when I came back, but one can never be too careful.

Thanks.
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#2cjnoonePosted 2/3/2012 3:25:00 PM
You don't take out the bottom glass panel. You leave the very bottom slot empty. The timing on his blaze generator is set so (most) of them will be taken down with one punch. (Some of them may die off from the crusher, if they got injured on the way down).

Then, you just walk up to it and punch them all.

Unless we're talking about two different videos? The one video of his I saw had him set up a grinder that would use redstone timing to bring their health down far enough that one barehanded punch would kill them.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#3Horith(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 3:27:13 PM
Ah, I must have seen an older Blaze grinder. Is this the one you saw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtcJ4c_6oQ
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#4_DTM_Posted 2/3/2012 3:36:49 PM
Yeah his old one is useless even if you build it since blaze won't drop items unless killed by the player now. That one you linked to is great though and should be the best design.
---
Currently playing: Minecraft, Uncharted 2, GoW Collection, Heavy Rain & Gears of War 3.
#5Horith(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 3:59:32 PM
Geez, that'd take a while to set up. Not sure I'd want to do that in a single-player map. Pretty darn complicated for someone who only started a week ago. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. XD

Any advice on my other questions?
---
#6cjnoonePosted 2/3/2012 4:07:33 PM(edited)
For the Nether Wart, I'm not sure. The wiki page would probably help.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_Wart

For the zombie grinder, unfortunately, no. There's a limit to how many mobs can spawn, even with the spawner. The only way to get a better XP output would be to farm mobs that give more XP. (Blazes do give more XP than the normal hostile mobs, IIRC).

The Blaze grinder takes a long time to set up, and LOTS of materials, but it's worth it. There were a couple things I switched to creative mode for, though. Namely, clearing out a large enough area around the the spawner, and covering up the redstone wiring. Everything else I built legit.

If you don't mind using cobblestone for your grinder, go make a few branch mines, you'll get plenty of stone to build with. The only thing I found problematic was getting enough slimeballs to make sticky pistons.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#7benjaminkcPosted 2/3/2012 5:11:38 PM
Nether wart can be farmed anywhere in the nether, you just need to have a player standing close enough for the chunk to be loaded.

A blaze spawner gives twice as much experience as a normal dungeon spawner. If you found a double-dungeon, you could make an XP farm that would be as effective as a blaze farm, but the only way you could beat it is to find a triple-dungeon. (Never seen such a thing, myself.)
#8Horith(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2012 11:58:12 PM
Sweet merciful heavens, that was a hell of a project. It didn't help that below the second portion of the cone was probably about a 50-75 block drop that I had to build a platform over. Being afraid of heights seems to translate pretty damn well to Minecraft, which is a bit disturbing. But the darn thing is built now, works great, and I couldn't be happier.

Now to get on my friend's multiplayer server and build the damn thing all over again. XD
---
#9cjnoonePosted 2/6/2012 12:24:36 AM
^Heh, that's exactly how mine was.
---